Crock Pots and Cats

Guest Wheat on Trial

Guest Wheat on Trial

Tell me about your mishaps with pets :)

I know this is going to sound ridiculous. I have a bit of an anxiety disorder, so bear with me.

Slow cooked chicken overnight but had trouble sleeping because I had an image of my two cats jumping on the counter, tying napkins around their necks, gingerly lifting off the lid of the crockpot, and chowing down.

This is so silly because:

A. Really?

B. I even have these "cat traps" for our counters (motion activated sensors - when I turn them on, the kitties get blasted with a puff of air and they don't like that so much so they don't jump on the counters very often)

Needless to say, I woke up at 4am (typical for me) in a panic that I'd have no chicken. I forced myself to go back to bed, but ended up rolling out of bed at 6:15 (not typical for me) to check.

Of course, everything was fine. Chicken was done, used the extra  time in my day to get started on preparing the veggies for the bone broth.

Has anybody ever lost a meal to a furry friend?

That's just funny :-) it definitely made me laugh out loud because I had the same worries.

I've never lost a meal to Samson. Well only after the fact. I always lose several bites to him. Because he's spoiled and seems to think he is entitled to part of whatever protein I happen to be eating.

My Sam is only 10 months old. He and I did battle over him being on the counter about 5 months ago. I won :-) I used a more direct approach though. I stood by the counter and he jumped on it. I thunked him lightly on the forehead (like testing a watermelon) and put him on the floor. He would squinch his eyes at me like 'hey mom that's just not cool'. It took about 20 minutes. He doesn't jump on the counter anymore. He does however practically climb my leg when dinner ready LOL

My best advice is ... Trust your kitties :-) they don't like to be on the counter. Plus that crock pot is very very warm on the outside. Chances are even if the did get on the counter they will steer clear of the heat. Samson takes a wide berth if I open a hot oven while he's in the kitchen.

Btw...how did your chicken turn out?

Guest Wheat on Trial

Haha you know, I tried to train my first cat when she was a kitten not to do it - yelled, sprayed with a water bottle. But then she figured out that she could jump on the counters when I wasn't in the room... I'd always see her hop down as soon as I entered. So the "cat traps" have done the trick.

Chicken is great! Got some bone broth simmering in the pot now :)

One of my cats gets into everything. EVERYTHING!!  Every cabinet in the house if he could, figured out how to open 2 cabinet locks before I found one that outsmarted him, he's knocked the tank lid off the toilet twice, knows how to open fridges, and if he had opposable thumbs he'd turn doorknobs!  He will swipe raw meat off the cutting board while I'm fixing dinner if I don't watch him or put him up in another room.  He is the sweetest cat in the world but it's like living with a perpetual toddler.  And even he leaves my crockpot alone lol.  A crockpot is probably too hot for a cat to want to mess with.  Even on low it still has a nice simmer going.  

My cat walks on the counter just to piss me off. He knows he's not allowed. But he does it anyway, especially if he wants to be let out and neither of us are getting up off the couch.

But no I've never considered that he'd get into the crock pot, because of the heat. I will probably think about it now though! :)

• Moderators

I use my crockpot at least once a week, and I have two cats. They've never bothered the crockpot at all. One of them gets on the counter all the time (he jumps from it, to the top of the fridge, to the top of the cabinets, and sits in the window above the back door), but doesn't go anywhere near the crockpot when it's on. I guess everyone else is right, the heat is probably keeping him away from it.

I don't see how a cat could get the lid off a crock pot even if they tried. They lack opposable thumbs, and generally there is a lip in which the lid sits that prevents it from just sliding off.

You could always get a crock pot with latches for the lid though http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33969A-Programmable-6-Quart/dp/B00EZI26GO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1392006394&sr=8-5&keywords=hamilton+beach+slow+cooker

Guest Wheat on Trial

I actually have a cat with "thumbs" (hemingway cat) - and right after we got her, I woke up one morning and heard gushing - somehow she managed to get the kitchen sink running at full blast. ?????

I *think* what happened was that she jumped on the counter, got blasted by the cat trap, and it scared the daylights out of her that when she jumped down, she kicked the faucet with her back leg. Who knows how long it was running...

Anyway, I think that experience has had me nervous about what else they might be able to do on the countertops...But I'm glad to see that "My cat ate my crockpot chicken" is a #saidnooneever

actually i have had one of my cats steal a pork tenderloin out of a crockpot before.  it was a small/personal sized crock with a plastic lid, no locks and fairly light.  they got to it before the crock fully heated up and before the roast even started heating up since it was as raw (what was left) as when i'd put it in and left the room.  i was so very mad i could have cooked the cat instead!

First off...where did you get your "cat traps" because mine are so annoying about the counters and the table I could scream. Cleo isn't as bad but River sits there and stares at you like "hey...look...I'm somewhere I know I'm not supposed to be...going to do anything about it."  :rolleyes:

I don't worry about the crock pot with the cats but I have had some other incidents. I left my bag of produce on the floor to take care of after dinner one evening and came in to find Cleo munching on swiss chard. I have had bags of kibble with holes chewed into them (that were in closed closets mind you) more than once. I always put my food up high if I need to leave the table for a few minutes because I've come back to find River eating off my plate. 

Someone posted in another thread today or yesterday that their dog opened their fridge and ate something she had pre-cooked from it. That is incredible. River can open every closet door in the apartment but luckily has not figured out the fridge yet.

I *think* what happened was that she jumped on the counter, got blasted by the cat trap, and it scared the daylights out of her that when she jumped down, she kicked the faucet with her back leg. Who knows how long it was running...

Had the worst cat ever for awhile...glad he's not living me anymore. He seemed to be on the counters more often than the floor. Got home from work one day and not only had he bumped the handle on the kitchen faucet so that it was running (thankfully just a trickle), but he had also pushed the faucet back so it was hanging over the counter behind the sink! :angry: The cabinet under the sink had flooded and water had travelled about a foot across the floor. I can't imagine what the damage would have been if he had turned the water on full blast.

On a positive note, no matter what delicious smelling meals I've had in the crockpot, none of my cats have ever displayed any interest.

Guest Wheat on Trial

First off...where did you get your "cat traps" because mine are so annoying about the counters and the table I could scream. Cleo isn't as bad but River sits there and stares at you like "hey...look...I'm somewhere I know I'm not supposed to be...going to do anything about it."  :rolleyes:

I don't worry about the crock pot with the cats but I have had some other incidents. I left my bag of produce on the floor to take care of after dinner one evening and came in to find Cleo munching on swiss chard.

The cat traps are a product called "ssscat" - we got ours at petsmart, but I couldn't find it online just now - here it is at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ssscat-PDT00-13914-SSSCAT-Cat-Training/dp/B000RIA95G

If you decide to go that route, but the product - but when you are ready for a refill, just purchase compressed air from Staples or something - the tops fit on those and they are much cheaper then the sscat refills.

A cat that likes greens, eh? Strange... Cats are weird.

One of my cats can open a pedal bin (another cat showed him how) and he has been known to eat asparagus and cooked pumpkin skin.

The biggest problem with cats and crockpots is when it has meat in it they tend to know and make pests of themselves.

I once had an accident with some freshly baked chickens, spilling chicken gravy all over the floor. Poor kitties were hunting for that chicken for weeks, we washed the floor but they were convinced there was a hidden chicken ;)

One of my cats can open a pedal bin (another cat showed him how) and he has been known to eat asparagus and cooked pumpkin skin.

The biggest problem with cats and crockpots is when it has meat in it they tend to know and make pests of themselves.

I once had an accident with some freshly baked chickens, spilling chicken gravy all over the floor. Poor kitties were hunting for that chicken for weeks, we washed the floor but they were convinced there was a hidden chicken ;)

This is true...whenever I'm picking apart a chicken after cooking it in the crock pot I have cats under my feet telling me how much they NEED chicken! Sometimes I give them some skin so I'm not really helping the problem.

The only thing one of my cats shows interest in is coffee. She once spilled a cup on the table (she flopped and I was still groggy and didn't move my cup fast enough) and she was licking the table cloth for days. She'll also lick the floor if I slop any out of my cup.

I have lost a whole plate of brussel sprouts to my Black Lab Boh.  Set it down for only seconds on the ottoman, came back to an empty plate and a happy dog.  Grrrr.  Couldn't get mad though, my fault.  Never any problems with my crockpot meals...come close to counter thieves though.  They're sneaky little critters.  They just want good food too :)

*funny story though*

Guest Wheat on Trial

In good news, I made chocolate chili last night and once again, no problems with my cats. Woo hoo!

In bad news, my crock pot developed a crack. Won't be using it until I can replace either the crock or replace it entirely, as I see buying a new one may be less expensive then just replacing the crock.

I too have thieving cats, however, they prefer vegetables and fruits. One of them was a rescue whose mother deserted the litter. The person who rescued them fed him from jars of baby food. Thus he LOVES squash and sweet potatoes. He's also stolen ears of corn from the sink and been caught as he was rolling them across the carpet with his paw. Hilarious.

• 3 weeks later...

I have four cats, and they've never gone after the crockpot, even when good smells are wafting from it.

Disclaimer: the one who loves empty boxes once curled up in the empty pot, but I should have seen it coming: I'd washed & dried it, knocked over a full glass on the counter, and hurriedly moved the crockpot to the floor to wipe up the mess. The lid was in the dishwasher, the pot was kinda warm from just having been washed...can't say I blame the cat. It's an oval black ceramic pot, she's a pudgy black cat...just her size and shape. The rule of feline acquisition being what it is, if it fits, she sits.

I thought I was the only one with crazy cats (of course I'm not the crazy one :blink: )

I've lost bacon and bratwurst to one of my cats. It was hard not to laugh, she's barely bigger than the sausage she was stealing.

I worry that they'll burn themselves when I leave the crockpot on.

I've lost raw meat to those cat-vultures. You know the deal, grab frozen meat out at last minute and place in sink to thaw quickly in water (I'm aware of food safety issues, I just disregard them in the name of getting healthy dinners on the table). Somehow one of my cats always seems to know when they've reached the perfect thawed state when she can rip through the plastic to the meat inside and not get freezer-brain as the meat's perfectly thawed.

I've only recently learned two (we have three) of my cats are crazy-crazy for pistachios. They'll actually bat at your hands as you reach into the bowl and try to dump the contents so they can have their way.

My boy cat has a particular obsession with chewing on bananas and squash. It took me a while to figure out where the vampire-like bites were coming from.

I must admit, when I saw the header I was afraid to open the thread.

I have 2 cats now, they really don't like people food, but if my husband buys shrimp and is cleaning them, one will go berserk and has even swiped one or two (and then promptly thrown them up all over the floor).

One cat we had years ago pulled an entire pizza off the table. She was a bit snaggled toothed and it looked so funny we couldn't stop her we were laughing so hard. If only we had video phones back then!

Archived