Whole 30 Take Two

Brandon Antoinette

So, today starts my second Whole 30.

I participated right after It Starts With Food came out.  The first time around was a mixed success.  In the plus column, I completed the program almost completely without a slip--my dinner on day 30 was unfortunately less than compliant, so I guess what I did was more of a Whole 29 and 13 hrs.

My big problem was that I got so excited about all of the results I was seeing in my body and how I was feeling that I didn't realize that the program hadn't run its course for me yet. Though I made it so far without any slips, 30 days wasn't enough to help me break all of my unhealthy relationships with food. That is what I am committed to doing this time. My goals are to break all of the ties to that unhealthy relationship, which I have primarily identified with the habits of late night snacking and eating past the point that I am satiated, as well as my near pathological need for convenient, ready-made foods like fast food and sandwiches. Since 30 days wasn't really enough last time, I realize that means that I may be on a Whole 45 or a Whole 60 instead. I am totally committed to that idea and I will not wrap up the program until I have succeeded in breaking free from my food obsessions.

Deep breath...here goes!

--Brandon Antoinette

Brandon. I totally get it. My previous whole 30 in November lasted 15 days. I was convinced I "got it" and could manage to continue. Fail. It was like leaving rehab too soon. The sugar and white carb dragon came back stronger then before. I'm in for a whole 60 this time. Or as long as it takes. I'm starting tomorrow. And thrilled.

Brandon,

Similar experience here.

I ended my 1st whole35 last Friday - no fails, felt great all the way and confident to loosen the reigns just once in a blue moon.

Just 4 days on and the sugar dragon is out big time... Unfortunately the dragon withstands visualiation techniques :)

I 'm planning to start my 2nd round (whole60?) Thursday 13th.

Keep going!

Hey Kwantum,

Good to hear about your success! Thank you so much for the encouragement. 

One thing I will say about my first Whole 30 experience, though I didn't reap all of the benefits from it that I stood to, I was able to break my sugar addiction. Since that time I haven't gone back to eating sweets, and I have dessert probably no more than five times a year. After going without sugar for 30 days, when I experimented with reintroducing it I couldn't stand the way it tastes. As a consequence, this time around I have one major hurtle that I don't even have to worry about, and that makes everything so much easier.

Good luck with your second round!

Brandon,

You will love round 2. I completed my 2nd whole30, had pizza on day 33 and have been eating by the template for the past 4 days (and will continue). I learned after try 1 (similar to you) that I needed more time. But, I'm not going to go completely hard-core for X amount of days. I'm now going to eat out with my family and we typically only eat out up to 4 times a month and eat by the template the rest of the time. Last time I went off the template way too quickly without realizing the benefits of just eating on it most of the time.

Best to you!

Becky

Thanks bep0819!

I'm really excited about doing this. One of the many ways I failed miserably on my first go around is that I didn't even try the re-introduction template. (In fact, it's funny that you mention pizza, because that along with Chocolate Variety Samplers was what I craved the absolute most during the initial program, and that is what I fell face first into at the end of day 30.) Not this time! I am committed to making it all the way through--not just 29 days and 13 hrs--and then deciding if I have really accomplished my goal of breaking unhealthy food relationships. If not, I'll be adding days. Then when I do finish up, I am going to go by that re-introduction template. After having done this once and have symptoms of my unhealthy lifestyle return, I am extremely aware of what exactly are the negative effects of  the food I have been eating. What I want to know now is which effects belong to which foods, because some I can live with occasionally, while others I never want to be facing again. Good luck in your reintroduction phase! If you learn anything important during it shoot me another message! I'd love to have any additional information possible to arm myself with when it comes around next month.

Hi there,

I just finished my first Whole 30 and have decided to keep going and make it a Whole 60. I feel so much better and have lost 8 pounds. I'm not having any cravings so I feel no urge to add unhealthy things back into my eating plan. I'm really hoping that I can keep rolling through the next 30 days! One thing that helped me in the first 30 days was drinking bone broth (homemade). Have you tried that?

J.L.

Archived