so disappointed

How in the heck are people losing weight on this program??? I am fat. I have 60 pounds to lose to get to a normal BMI. I came to this from a high sugar SAD. I did not cheat once. I followed the meal template. I think I ate too much fat, because I lost ONE pound. Also I worked out 4-5 times per week, drank water blah blah blah. I feel so unbelievably hopeless right now. I thought this was the answer after failing every other diet out there.

sorry you didn't get the results you were looking for. If you would like to post a few days worth of food logs, and give us a little more information on your lifestyle (how much sleep you get, how often you exercise, how intensely, etc.) we might be able to help more.

Are you having pre/post wo foods? I wonder if you're eating enough?

1 egg is not a big enough protein serving. When eggs are your protein, a serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in your hand.

I was trying to find any past food logs and I saw in one post you commented how your clothes were looser. So it sounds like you lost some inches?

Have you noticed any other positive benefits?

if most days were similar to your example, then I can see number of things to tweak. One, as Chris mentions is to make sure you have a palm of protein at every meal (one egg is not enough). Another is to include a wide variety of vegetables. You have generous portions of starchy carbs at all three meals, but no green vegetables at all. This is one case where I would try reducing the starchy carbs a bit (maybe have them only at one meal per day, or reduce portions) and try to make up the difference in volume with a wide variety of other vegetables including leafy greens.

As an aside, fat intake looks fine. I wouldn't add more unless you are finding yourself hungry between meals.

Another thing to consider might be the fat loss vs. muscle gain.  maybe you should measure your inches rather than your weight.  Also, what kind of exercise are you doing?  Maybe add more cardio?

Or could it be a hormone issue rather than a food issue?  My dad had issues with his thyroid, which caused dramatic weight issues for a while.  I hope this is not the case for you.

Good luck and don't give up.  

Sorry for misreading the egg quantity.

Would you be willing to keep going? It sounds like you had good energy and felt great, but you got deflated when you looked at the scale. Maybe your body needs some more time eating this way?

I hope that if I do another 30 days maybe I will see some results. I definitely feel like saying "screw it" but the one thing keeping me going is how good I have felt-so much more energy than I have had in years. I would be perfectly happy to just lose a few pounds a month, just want to see SOME progress, you know?

I felt great until I got on the scale.

This says it all - I am convinced the scale is an evil device that does no good whatsoever. When you don't step on the scale, you are free to focus on the other benefits - feeling great, looser clothes, etc. I think it would benefit you to get rid of the scale. Or, if you aren't ready for that, set a date a few months in the future and decide not to step on the scale until that date. Focus on clean eating, sleep and exercise in the meantime. I'd be really surprised if you didn't notice a difference.

Pickles - you used to run marathons. Let's use a running analogy. If you got up from the couch and started a training plan, where would you expect to be in 30 days? Probably running short and slow, maybe even with some walking. In 3 months? Running longer distances with faster times. 6 months? You might be able to run that marathon.

30 days ago you were eating a SAD. You started from the couch. Your body is just getting used to your new way of eating, and by your own admission, you felt great until you stepped on the scale. Stop stepping on the scale, at least for another few months. Keep paying attention to the way you feel, and the way your clothes fit. Use that as your measure of progress.

To be fair, after 30 days I felt no better, my clothes didn't fit better, I had no improvement.

But I have felt worse since going off, so trying to just do a Whole 30 but cutting back on portions, even though I never felt over stuffed.

Advice from everyone is good, but for those of you that had good results, try to have some realization that some people stick to the letter of the program and just don't have results.  I didn't.  I'm going to keep going, but I had no improvement

In case you haven't yet read this: http://whole30.com/2012/10/six-reasons-why-the-whole30-didnt-work-for-you/

I suspect that for a lot of people, things really start to get better later than 30 days. The problem is, many people revert back into the SAD, or a semi-SAD, once they hit 30 days and didn't see the results they wanted. Myself included, my prior 2 W30s, while I was definitely feeling better by the end, I did always notice that the most dramatic changes were right at the end - right before I stopped on Day 30. 

This time, while I technically ended my program at 31 days, I am still 100% compliant most days and everything else I have eaten has been an intentional reintroduction. It's made a big difference. 42 days since Day 1 of my Whole30, and this past week has been the best week yet in terms of my energy level and sleep. And my diet was mostly paleo prior.

So keep at it. I hope things improve for you.

Not restricting calories, no. I have certainly tried pretty much everything else out there in the way of diets, but in the 2 or 3 months prior to starting this, I was eating a lot of processed food and a lot of sugar. I had broken my foot and was stuck at home, kind of limited. I am sure that it's taking a while for my system to adjust to this way of eating, because I've never done anything like this before.

I am going to stick with it for another 30 days and see if things improve, being a little more mindful about fat portion size. Thank you everyone for all of your help.

One thought--I was stuck at home and sedentary due to recent knee surgery.  I do think that while calorie restriction may not be the answer, portion control might be if you can't exercise.  I'm playing around with the template a little to have a smaller breakfast, then two normal meals.  I just think if you aren't exercising at all (which I'm still not allowed to do) you might not need 3 big meals

Just to be clear - the recommended meal planning template has a lower end and a higher end. The lower end is intended for those who are not exercising. Exercise is not a necessary component of a W30. So if you want to play with portion sizes go for it, but I would still recommend aiming for the low end of the template as a minimum.

Whole30 can give amazing results, and it can also give information that we might or might not welcome.  For instance, I discovered that after eating Whole30 for almost a year, that I was able to give up my anxiety medication (note that it took nearly a year, not 30 days).  At the same time, I discovered that there was simply nothing I could do nutritionally to give myself more energy.  So I went to a naturopathic physician, got properly tested, and discovered my adrenal system was WAAAAAAAYYY out of whack and it was a wonder I was awake at all, ever, except for 3:00 a.m.  Eek!  Several months of appropriate supplementation later, I am awake and (compared to before) energetic during the daytime.

I mention this because I think that sometimes our toughest issues are the ones we want the quickest results on.  And what Whole30 may do for us instead is to tell us that our toughest issues are our toughest issues because they are our toughest issues.  Excellent nutrition can certainly help us, but it also gives us a very clear idea of where we need more help than what good eating can give us.

I'm always going to have issues with my blood pressure.  I wish it were not so, but it is.  Some people will have issues with difficulty losing weight.  They may wish it were not so, but it is.  I can't fix my adrenal system (at least not at my age, and after decades of abuse of it) just with nutrition.  So Whole30 gave me useful information, but some of that information was "go to a really good doctor who takes you seriously, get properly tested, and get the right treatment."

I wish all those on this thread who are struggling a doctor like mine.  I am so glad I found her.  And glad I found Whole30 too.  All the best to all of us on the long long journey to our best possible health.  :wub:

I am able to exercise now, but despite the fact that I am getting 45-60 minutes 4-5 times/week, it certainly isn't at the intensity to which my body is accustomed (as I said, I was a runner, and 50 mile weeks were not out of the ordinary). Last summer I was doing 25-30 mile weeks fairly regularly, even though I was a good 40 pounds overweight. So I think that my calorie burn for a 45 minute walk is probably not too high, just based on muscle memory. 

So grateful to be able to do even that, though, I must remember. I had 12 weeks of total non-weight bearing so I've got a lot of ground to make up.

Archived