Allons-y! Started 2/8

BillS

Starting to track my first Whole30 journey….

About Me:  Very tall (6' 6"), moderately active, 48 years old.  Would like to eventually lose 60 pounds.  I started the year in a good place, having lost almost 40 pounds last year rotating through various eating patterns (Younger Next Year, Vegan, and Intermittent Fasting).  My Whole30 buddy, susiek :wub: , introduced me to this program and I'm excited that we're on our way.  I've also increased my activity level quite a bit, so the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place.

Day 1 - Ah, that newbie glow!  Spent the day doing Day 0 stuff like setting goals, purging my kitchen, taking "pre" pics and measurements.

• Brunch - 2 eggs scrambled with pork loin, onion, and jalapeño with a little salsa.
  • Snack - Carrot, orange, and a few mac nuts
  • Dinner - Pork loin stuffed with apple and raisin, asparagus, and a small salad with blueberries

Day 2 - Settling in and stocking up on groceries

• Sleep - Not good.  Too much energy buzzing last night, was up until 2:30 a.m.
  • Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with pork loin, onion, asparagus, and jalapeño with a little salsa.
  • Snack - Coconut butter
  • Lunch - Salad with chicken cajun sausage, carrot, cucumber, and sauerkraut; 1 cup almond milk
  • Exercise - 45 minutes on the Nordic Track while watching XC skiing at the Olympics
  • Dinner - Beef chili and mustard roasted Brussels sprouts

And so it began….

Hey Bill! Welcome to W30! 

Do you have a copy of the meal template?

Overall things look good. Just a reminder that we recommend 3 template meals a day with no snacking for optimal results. If you must have a snack (hungry enough to eat something really bland and boring) aim for a mini meal that includes protein and fat. Save your fruit servings to be enjoyed as part of or immediately following a template meal. If you are working out you can/should include your pre and post workout bonus meals. This is protein and optional fat before and lean protein and starchy vegetable after.

Best of luck to you! Rock it!

Thank you, Bethany!  I appreciate the feedback and your support.  I didn't do as much "Day 0" preparation as I should have, so days 1 and 2 were a little more improvised than I had hoped.  I'll know better next time.

As for Day 3:

• Sleep - OK, but still not great, which is unusual for me.  I'm sure I'm just adjusting.
  • Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with cajun chicken sausage, asparagus, and jalapeño…with salsa
  • Lunch - 2 cups beef chili; salad with mixed greens, cucumber, carrot, and white balsamic vinaigrette
  • Dinner - Pork loin cooked with diced tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, and spices; mustard roasted Brussels sprouts; blueberries with a little almond milk; 1 tablespoon almond butter

Felt a little "off" this morning, but that cleared up through the day.  Feeling great now!

-----------

Update:  I just discovered that Sriracha isn't compliant, and I use it in everything.  Pretty obvious since sugar is the second ingredient, but I never checked the label.  I swear I read it was OK someplace.  Oh well…such are the pitfalls of the first Whole30.  I appreciate the "Can I have…." section of this blog much more now.

Thanks!  That's exactly my plan.  Move on from here and tack on three penalty laps at the end…or maybe victory laps!

Day 4

• Sleep - Really poor again.  Up far too late.  Feeling tired now, so tonight will be better.
  • Breakfast - 1 grapefruit, 1 sweet potato mashed with coconut milk (yum!), Epic Turkey bar
  • Lunch - Large salad with mixed greens, red pepper, cucumber, carrot, sauerkraut, a can of tuna, and mustard vinaigrette
  • Snack - Handful of raw almonds (I didn't plan well and was caught short of food.  I am putting a few "emergency" rations in my car.)
  • Dinner - Red Thai curry with chicken cajun sausage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, coconut milk and curry sauce

Overall still feeling good…a little puffy/bloated today, but I'm sure that will pass quickly.  I'm leaning that I need to better stock my pantry and have a few "go to" recipes always at hand.  Amazing just like the Day 0 email says to do!

Day 5

• M1 - 2 eggs scrambled in ghee with Andouille sausage, red pepper, and tomato
  • M2 - Red Thai curry with chicken cajun sausage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, coconut milk and curry sauce
  • M3 - Large salad with mixed greens, celery, carrots, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, 2 hardboiled eggs, and a few sunflower seeds; coconut kefir

Still feeling good.  My energy flagged a little around 8:00 tonight, but I might not have had enough at M3.  It was my first, rather underwhelming adventure at the WholeFoods salad bar.  Lots of tasty looking but off-plan temptations; I passed them all by.

I haven't had too many cravings yet.  I once heard someone say, "99% is a bitch; 100% is a breeze."  That's definitely true for me with food.  If it's out, it's out.  If it's just a tiny bit in, it's ALL IN!

​And I need more exercise….

Day 6

• M1 - 2 eggs scrambled in ghee with artichoke hearts, tomato, and salsa; applesauce
  • M2 - Thunderbird Energetica Cacao Hemp  Walnut bar; Epic Turkey bar; orange
  • M3 - 2 Andouille sausage and mustard; raw sauerkraut; sweet potato mashed with coconut milk

Kind of grumpy and sleepy today, just like the roadmap says.  Otherwise, all is well.

Day 7 - My first full week!

M1 - 2 eggs scrambled in ghee with Andouille sausage, red pepper, tomato, artichoke heart, and salsa; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - Salad: tuna, cucumber, red pepper, mustard, artichoke heart and some of the oil from the jar

M3 - Thai chicken curry: chicken, red pepper, onion, avocado, green beans, coconut milk, and curry paste; 2 prunes

Date 8 - Right on Schedule

M1 – 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with half an avocado, sauerkraut, and salsa (This was much better than I expected and sauerkraut is one of my very favorite foods.); 1 grapefruit; 1 Persian cucumber

Exercise* - 3 hours cross-country skiing, including breaks - Ate cinnamon applesauce, almond butter, and 1/2 Thunderbird Energetic bar along the way

M2 - Salad with mixed greens, tuna, sauerkraut, and cucumber (no dressing); 1/2 sweet potato; small can of low-sodium V8

M3 - Leftover Thai chicken curry; 7 olives; 2 prunes

* This was my longest exercise session since starting Whole30 and I definitely bonked a couple times along the way. I guess I'm still adjusting. The snacks helped a ton and would keep me going for about half an hour.

Observations from the past week

Sleep: My energy levels are evening out, so I'm finding it easier to get to sleep on time. This of course helps me get up on time, which will help with my exercise.

Whole30 Timeline: This is a great resource! It helped me to predict and understand the adjustments I was experiencing. I didn't have any dramatic ups or downs, but there were some small changes that I did see. I was prepared for them, so they were no big deal.

Cheating: I haven't intentionally cheated at all. There was my Sriracha misstep at the beginning, but I think I've been 100% clean after that.

Planning: Learning to plan meals and shop accordingly is a new experience for me. This is a new adventure that I will gladly take on, but it will take a while. Too many of my meals felt thrown together at the last second and not prepared or planned ahead of time.

Day 9

M1 - 3 eggs scrambled in olive oil with spinach, onion, garlic, sauerkraut, and salsa

Exercise - 2:15 cross-country skiing - no gas in the tank today...just like Day 9 is supposed to be. No spring in my legs and my balance was off. Fell three times. Grrrr! Ate 1/2 a Thunderbird bar and a tube of cinnamon applesauce on the trail.

M2 - Can of tuna mixed with salsa, cucumber, and onion; pumpkin purée

Snack - Mineral water with lime and 4 olives

M3 - Ground turkey with onion, red pepper, and garlic served over cooked spinach; salad with mixed greens and sauerkraut: two prunes

Added Bonus - I think my skin is getting nicer.

Day 10

M1 - Ground turkey with onion, red pepper, and garlic served over cooked spinach with salsa and 2 eggs dried in coconut oil; 2 prunes

Exercise - 2:20 cross-country skiing. Ate a tube of cinnamon applesauce and a packet of coconut butter on the trail.

M2 - Ground turkey with onion, red pepper, and garlic served over mixed greens; 1/2 avocado; olives

Snack - Green olives. (This is a bit of a food without brakes for me, but I've been craving salty stuff all day.)

M3 - Prosciutto, guacamole, almonds, two hard-boiled eggs

Snack – Sauerkraut, almond milk, almond butter

The Good - I felt better during exercise today. The past two days I ran out of gas and plodded along. Today I felt a little bit of spring in my step. Also, my heart rate came back down. It was 5 - 8 BPM lower today than the past two doing the same work. This is good.

The Bad - I struggled with my food all afternoon and evening. My last meal was thrown together at a grocery store, so compliant but not well-crafted. I had really strong cravings for junk food all day, and did not cave-in. I feel good that I got through the day, but it was the hardest one I've had so far. I look forward to things leveling out over the next few days.

Day 11

• M1 - 2 hardboiled eggs; 1 oz turkey; 2 cups mixed fruit; a few almonds
  • M2 - Grilled chicken breast served over assorted raw salad veggies; WholeFoods kale salad (no "banned" ingredients listed on the sign); 2 oz turkey
  • Afternoon snacks - Almonds and a Lara bar (I know snacking isn't encouraged, but I didn't want to go shopping on an empty stomach)
  • M3 - Steak; kale cooked with garlic, salt, vinegar, and lemon juice; 2 pickles

After yesterday, today was a breeze!  I did wake up feeling sluggish and bloated, probably from all the salt late in the day yesterday.  I finally made it to the grocery store, so am stocked up for a while now.

Day 12

M1 - 2 eggs scrambled in ghee with shrimp, tomato, cilantro, and salsa; 1 tbs almond butter

Snack - 1 banana (I under-carbed at breakfast and needed a boost)

M2 - Mixed greens, chicken, assorted raw salad veggies, olives, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 hardboiled egg, olive oil & vinegar

M3* - 3 dill pickles; leftover steak; leftover kale; 1 chicken, basil, and black pepper sausage with mustard; butternut squash drizzled with olive oil and coconut aminos**; applesauce with 2 prunes

* Definitely grazing tonight and not sitting down to a proper meal.  Key learning for me is that I struggle when I don't have something planned and/or easy to prepare.  I will grab whatever is nearby.  Good thing I purged my house before starting W30!

** I bought pre-cut butternut squash, tossed them with olive oil and coconut aminos, then baked at 350 for 20 minutes.  The glaze caramelizes nicely.  Highly recommended.

I felt "off" most of the day…probably lack of sleep and stressful stuff at work.  There were some good signs today, though.  First, I wasn't in any way tempted by the box of Krispy Kreme donuts that someone brought to the office.  I noted them more with amusement than with desire.  Second, I don't think of myself as being on "a plan" or "a program" anymore…this is just the way I eat.  I still have skills to learn around planning and cooking, but some switch flipped in my head today.  I think this is about to get a whole lot easier.

Day 13 - Moved to a new hole on my belt!

M1 - 1 chicken, basil, and black pepper sausage; 2 eggs scrambled in ghee with serrano peppers

M2 - Grilled chicken breast over two different WholeFoods kale salads and assorted raw veggies

M3 - 2 dill pickles; 2 chicken, basil, and black pepper sausages with mustard and sauerkraut; butternut squash mashed with coconut milk

My copies of Well Fed and Well Fed 2 arrived today, so my menu will vastly improve over the weekend!

Feeling very good today….just cruising along now….

Day 14

M1 - 2 eggs scrambled in ghee with shrimp, serrano pepper, frozen mixed veggies*, and salsa

M2 - Steak salad at Black Bear Diner

Snack - Kombucha

M3 - Ground beef with onion, bell pepper, serrano pepper, garlic, and ghee, served over spinach; Mixed fresh fruit with coconut milk

* Grrr….I messed this one up!  Without thinking I threw in a cup of healthy, organic frozen mixed veggies consisting of corn, peas, and green beans.  D'oh!  It wasn't until the next day that I realized my mistake.  It's certainly not terminal, but is a good reminder to PAY ATTENTION!!!!

Lunch today was my first venture into a restaurant on Whole30.  It was easier than I thought!  I ordered the steak salad and have them leave off the dressing, cheese, and tortilla strips.  It was filling and tasty.   It came with 1/2 and avocado, so I didn't feel the need to add more fat.

Starting to plan my first, big Sunday cook-up…so excited!

Day 15 - Half way there!

M1 - 1 Hot Italian sausage; 2 eggs fried in sausage grease; mixed fruit

M2 - Ground beef with onion, bell pepper, serrano pepper, garlic, and ghee, served over mixed greens

Snack - 1 tbs homemade olive oil mayo (sampled while making)

Exercise - 1.5 hr hike

M3 - 1 Hot Italian sausage cooked with onion, garlic, red and yellow peppers, black olives, and chopped tomatoes; Steamed broccoli with mayo; sauerkraut; strawberries with coconut milk and unsweetened coconut flakes

I definitely felt a change on my hike today.   It's one I do most weekends, so it's very familiar.  My average heart rate was slower than usual and my energy felt consistent for the whole hike.  I wasn't as tired afterward.  That said, I also felt like I was on "simmer" the whole time…almost like I was burning coal instead of gasoline.  I assume that's my body adjusting to using fat as a fuel, so will continue to monitor.

Also, I feel like I might be eating too much.  Maybe that's just today, when I'm feeling heavier than I have been.  I've been good on the quality of food so far, so I'll try to follow the meal template more closely.

Lastly, homemade mayo?!?  Seriously, where have you been all my life?  Velvety bliss in a jar…and so easy!  Thank you, Well Fed!

Day 16

M1 - 1 Hot Italian sausage; 2 eggs fried in sausage grease; spinach sautéed with Ras el Hanout (Well Fed, p. 47)

M2 - Ground beef with onion, bell pepper, serrano pepper, garlic, and ghee

Snacks - All sampled while cooking - 1 egg; assorted cooked veggies to taste; macadamia nuts

M3 - Chicken breast; asparagus with mayo; creamy cucumber salad; strawberries with coconut milk

Today was my first, big "cook-up."  Very exciting and a little daunting the first time, but I'm happy with the results:

- 2 lbs garlic ground beef

- 6 chicken breasts

- 6 HB eggs

​- Steam Sautéed Veggies: Chard, broccoli, carrots, red cabbage, and yellow squash

This feels like a lot of food, but I'm sure it will carry me through the week.  Now I need to figure out how to turn all this stuff into meals.  Step 2….

Day 17

M1 - Garlic ground beef with one egg over chard and yellow squash; salsa

M2 - Salad:  Chicken breast, mixed greens, olives, tomato, red pepper, parsley, sauerkraut

Snack - Almonds ; Blueberry Muffin Luna Bar

M3 - 2 deviled eggs; garlic ground beef over red cabbage and broccoli with mayo; strawberries and prunes with coconut milk and macadamia nuts

Very up and down today…woke up groggy, then had four hours of almost giddy happiness and strong energy, then slumped in the afternoon.  At least I had a glimpse of Tiger Blood!  More to come, I hope.

Day 17

M1 - Garlic ground beef with one egg over chard and yellow squash; salsa

M2 - Salad:  Chicken breast, mixed greens, olives, tomato, red pepper, parsley, sauerkraut

Snack - Almonds ; Blueberry Muffin Luna Bar

M3 - 2 deviled eggs; garlic ground beef over red cabbage and broccoli with mayo; strawberries and prunes with coconut milk and macadamia nuts

Very up and down today…woke up groggy, then had four hours of almost giddy happiness and strong energy, then slumped in the afternoon.  At least I had a glimpse of Tiger Blood!  More to come, I hope.

If it was the Blueberry Muffin Lara Bar you had, that's not compliant, as it contains vanilla extract.

No need for restart, just don't have that flavor again for the rest of your Whole30.

Day 18

M1 - Grapefruit and avocado; 2 deviled eggs

M2 - Salad:  Chicken, mixed greens, olives, red pepper, parsley, cilantro, tomato, vinaigrette

Snack - 10 almonds

M3 -  1 deviled egg; garlic ground beef, onion, jalapeño, red pepper, diced tomatoes, spices served over chard; fresh strawberries with coconut milk

A good day…not much more to say.

Archived