M2 - Chicken, broccoli, red cabbage, spices
M3 - Chipotle salad: lettuce, carnitas, guacamole, salsa; Thunderbird bar

Snack - Strawberries with coconut cream

All is well.

Day 20

M1 – Garlic ground beef, spinach, two eggs, ghee, salsa

M2 – Chicken, mixed greens, broccoli, olives, red pepper, carrots, sauerkraut

Snack – Almonds, Epic turkey bar

M3 – Garlic ground beef, spices, mayo, chard, jalapeno, yellow squash, coconut oil

I think I hit the "feeling kind of good all the time" zone.

Day 21

M1 – Three eggs, coconut oil, tomato, salsa; grilled tomato; banana

M2 – Tuna mixed with mustard, olive tapenade, and red and yellow peppers; two prunes

Exercise – One hour cross-country skiing; 30 minutes of shoveling snow

Post workout – Two hard-boiled eggs; baby carrots

M3 – Chicken breast; asparagus; squash with coconut cream and almond butter

Day 22

M1 – Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil with asparagus and tomato; salsa; sweet potato hash

Exercise - 2:30 cross-country skiing; 30 minutes shoveling snow

Trail Snacks - Applesauce, almonds, 1/2 Thunderbird bar

Post Workout - Two hard boiled eggs; baby carrots

M2 - Salad with chicken breast, squash, red and yellow peppers, lemon

M3 - Thai chicken curry: chicken, red and yellow peppers, Serrano pepper, onion, coconut milk, spices; asparagus

I am really starting to feel a change in my workouts. I felt very strong for the first 90 minutes today...then started to run out of gas.

Day 23

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in coconut oil with tomato and serrrano pepper; 1/2 sweet potato

Exercise - 2:30 cross-country skiing

Trail Snacks - 1/2 Thunderbird bar; almonds; 2 prunes

Post Workout - Two hard boiled eggs; baby carrots

M2 - Chicken breast & 1/2 sweet potato with salsa

Road Snack - Almonds

M3 - Chipotle:  Carnitas, lettuce, salsa, guacamole

Home Snack - Sauerkraut

I felt really good skiing today.  I skied harder, steeper trails with lots of climbing, yet didn't feel as toasted at the end.  Adding the sweet potato at breakfast helped.  I had been craving sauerkraut for a couple days, so indulged when I got home.  I don't know if it was the salt or the probiotics, but something was drawing me.  If 1/2 a cup of sauerkraut is now a guilty pleasure, I'm in a very good spot!

Day 24

M1 - Two eggs scrambled in ghee with spinach and prosciutto

M2 - Small salad with chicken breast, HB egg, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, lettuce, spinach, and hot sauce

Snack - Primal Pack

M3 - Prosciutto, guacamole, olives, almonds, strawberries and coconut milk

I was ambushed into a unexpected work lunch today, so ended up with a compliant, but inadequate salad.  This left me hungry, so had my first Primal Pack in the afternoon.  That was really tasty.  I'll have to be careful with them so they don't become a pattern with me.  

I had crazy cravings all evening, but didn't have the energy to actually prepare anything.  I was definitely in a grazing mood, as evidenced by M3.  I will shop and do a mini cook-up tomorrow so I'm not caught flatfooted again.

Day 25

M1 - Kombucha; almonds

M2 - Kobe beef burger patty; green salad; tomato; pickles

Snack - Almonds

M3 - 2 Chicken hot sausages with mustard and guacamole; pickles; strawberries (no coconut milk!); parma ham

My Whole30 commitment definitely wavered over the past two days.  Not that I'm giving up, but I'm falling back into some old eating patterns of grazing instead of planning and preparing meals.  Basically, I was caught unprepared again today.  It's time to get back to basics…simple food choices, the meal planning template, adequate sleep, etc.

Day 26

M1 – Three eggs scrambled in ghee with spinach, onion, salsa, and guacamole; banana

M2 – Salad with turkey, greens, broccoli, artichoke hearts, green papaya, peppers, and egg

M3 - 2 Chicken hot sausages with mustard, onion, and sauerkraut; strawberries and grapefruit

All is well.

I just noticed the two hard-boiled eggs and carrots postWO.  The recommended postWO is a protein and carb - no fat - which would make the egg yolks a no-no.  So, I would suggest using egg whites as your postWO protein, or choose another lean protein like chicken. 

Talie - Thank you for the encouragement. My breakfasts are pretty much eggs scrambled with whatever is nearby...quick and easy. Frozen spinach is a key staple to have in the house. Good luck!

Chris - Thanks. I was wondering about post WO eggs and will modify that in the future.

Day 27

M1 – Kombucha; banana; Primal Pack

M2 – Salad with turkey, lettuce, spinach, hard-boiled eggs, broccoli, olives, watermelon, and strawberries

M3 – Garlic ground turkey with onion, Serrano peppers, avocado, and tomato; grapefruit; almonds

Day 28

M1 - Two eggs scrambled with left-over ground turkey mixture, salsa, guacamole

M2 - Salad with mixed greens, carrot, tomato, cucumber, pickle, sauerkraut, tuna in oil

Snack - Kombucha

M3 - Left-over turkey mix with diced tomato and tomato paste; strawberries; pistachios

I was inexplicably happy today.  No huge cravings today, although grocery shopping definitely is ripe with triggers.  I think the kombucha was a much better choice than cookies.  Also, I learned that pistachios are a food without brakes for me…I'll add them to my "watch" list.

Day 29 - The Penultimate Day

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in ghee with spinach, prosciutto, avocado, and salsa

M2 - Salad at Insalata's:  Grilled swordfish over greens with olive tapenade, aioli, tomato, and lemon

Snack - (Almost M2.5 since the first was too small):  Pistachios, dill pickle, tangerines

M3 - Steak; asparagus; 1/2 sweet potato; strawberries with coconut milk

Felt great all day.  Went on a bit of a buying splurge for new kitchen stuff:  Two frying pans, six glass containers with snap-on lids, new spatula.  These all felt terribly crucial at the time.

Day 30 - The Last Meal…sort of

M1 - Three eggs scrambled in ghee with spinach, olives, and salsa

M2 - Scotch eggs w/spicy mustard and mayo; banana

Snacks While Cooking - Pickle; small piece of chicken breast; samples of mayo and chili

M3 - Chocolate chili; broccoli with mayo; green salad with vinegar; strawberries with coconut milk

Today is the last of my inaugural Whole30!  I'll do a report out tomorrow.  I have a 3-day penalty lap for my early Sriracha sins.  That means no sugar for a few more days.  No big deal.  I plan to add legumes back into my diet tomorrow, as I'm feeling a little overloaded on meat lately.

Today's Cook-up:

- Scotch eggs (the Italian version)

- Chocolate chili

- Mayo

- Hardboiled eggs

- Five chicken breasts

Thank you, Physibeth and Susie!  I'm a bit crunched for time, so am just going to post here tonight.  I'll open success and reintroduction threads later.

The big news of the day is that I lost 16.4 pounds over the last 30 days!  I know I'm not supposed to care about the number, but really, I'm thrilled!  Of course I feel better and have more energy and am making much better choices, but I'm also thinner than I have been in probably 10 years!

Day 31 (Penalty Lap Day 1 of 3)

M1 - 2 Scotch Eggs with mayo; banana

M2 - Salad:  Chicken breast, mixed greens, carrot, cucumber, red pepper, olives, sauerkraut

Snack - 1/2 cup organic refried black beans*

M3 - Chocolate chili with a little mayo mixed in; 1/2 sweet potato with coconut milk

* I wanted to incorporate beans back into my diet, so thought I'd try a serving on it's own…about 30 minutes before dinner.  I felt a tiny bit of heaviness in my stomach after eating them, but nothing bad.  I'll have some more with breakfast.

My next item to add back will be alcohol and/or butter when I go out for a fancy dinner on Thursday.  I'll see how I'm feeling when I get there.

Day 32 (Penalty Lap Day 2 of 3)

M1 - 3 Deviled eggs; grapefruit

M2 - Chocolate Chili; Salad with mixed greens, carrots, cucumber, red pepper, olives, sauerkraut

M3 - 2 Scotch eggs with mayo; refried black beans; carrots; sauerkraut

All is well.  I'm going to carry on here for a bit until work settles down.  Still feeling good, although I did get a little hungry in the late afternoon.  Also, my energy picked up considerably after dinner, which tells me I might not have eaten enough during the day.  I'm going to add some sweet potato or other dense carb to my earlier meals for more sustained energy.

Thanks, springbound!  I appreciate your support.

Day 33 (Last penalty day!)

M1 - 3 eggs scrambled in ghee with chicken, spinach, onion, and salsa; 1/2 sweet potato

M2 - Large bowl of chocolate chili; apple

M3 - Chipotle:  Salad with carnitas, lettuce, salsa, and guacamole; kombucha

Snack - 1/8 cucumber while preparing tomorrow's lunch

Today marks the end of my first Whole30, with the three added days.  All is still well, although I admit to being a little nervous about being unchained in the wild again.  My legume reintroduction went well.  I'm not really tempted to add anything else back, but feel I should so that I know how things will effect me.  Tomorrow I have dinner at a big, fancy restaurant, so will undoubtedly get some errant butter.  Maybe I'll go all out and have a piece of cheese!

I really will move this thread into the reintroduction forum when I have a little more time…no later than this weekend.

Archived