Unsure how to proceed.. looking for answers

Tilly

Hello All

Its day 30 and feeling pretty fine. I initially wanted to stop paleofying absolutely everything, which I have done (victory for me). I am of a healthy weight so am not fussed by weight loss but want to stop this struggle with the scale, I do feel I have gained weight but am not sure yet. It is freeing to eat so well and be content with the amount and not be craving more (don't get me wrong I could eat more but I have been happy to stop at full) which is wonderful.

A bit of background information on me, I am 25 and after conceiving my daughter 2 1/2 years ago my hormones (oestrogen particularly) have not returned to normal but have slowly been getting lower and lower, just recently my doc concluded I have hypothalamic amenorrhea. All my sex hormones are out of whack due to this. I have been quite health conscious since having my daughter, although not always whole 30 perfect definitely whole foods, with a reasonable amount of exercise. Now I am at a cross roads, I am sick of watching the scale but I can't relax about my food intake because my body seems to be gaining weight so easily.

So what should I do from here? I want to fix this underlining problem with my hormones to be a happier and healthier person but how? I am not so naive as to think this could be solved in 30 days however I am unsure what else to do, how do I heal my body and prevent any further weight gain?..

Thank you in advance

Hypothalamic amenorrhea is often due to a caloric imbalance (underfueling/prolonged caloric restriction); however, other things can cause it. It sounds like you tightly control your diet and are rather insistent on maintaining a certaing weight so I wonder if this weight is actually healthy for your body (regardless of whether its healthy in general). I suffered from HA for 6+ years and even though I was at a healthy weight it didn't resolve itself until I gained 15 pounds by eating more (actually putting me slightly above a "normal" BMI). Other HA, barring a pituitary tumor or something medical in nature, it's usually lifestyle related and can be fixed. I strongly urge you to lose your NEED to control your food intake and your weight...I'm confident that is alone will solve this.

Hypothalamic amenorrhea is often due to a caloric imbalance (underfueling/prolonged caloric restriction); however, other things can cause it. It sounds like you tightly control your diet and are rather insistent on maintaining a certaing weight so I wonder if this weight is actually healthy for your body (regardless of whether its healthy in general). I suffered from HA for 6+ years and even though I was at a healthy weight it didn't resolve itself until I gained 15 pounds by eating more (actually putting me slightly above a "normal" BMI). Other HA, barring a pituitary tumor or something medical in nature, it's usually lifestyle related and can be fixed. I strongly urge you to lose your NEED to control your food intake and your weight...I'm confident that is alone will solve this.

Sorry I should have mentioned that they believe HA most probably steamed from a lack of blood supply to hypothalamus/pituitary gland during labor, not necessarily from calorie restriction. Maybe this cannot be solved through diet but I want to be able to manage my weight and other symptoms of these erratic hormones (never fun) 

Archived