Can I have 4 meals?

I'm 3 days from completing my first W30 and have followed the template closely. I have myalgic encephalomyelitis (autoimmune) and initially intended to do an AI protocol starting March 1. I've decided to put that off until later this year and do another normal W30 on March 1, while working on my adrenal fatigue (per my doctor's suggestion) in the meantime.

The only thing that seems really important to healing your adrenals that isn't purely W30 canon is more frequent eating (so your body doesn't have to produce as much cortisol to stabilize your blood sugar for quite so long).

So the main question is this: Am I OK to call this a W30 and use the forum if I'm consuming 4 slightly smaller meals throughout the day?

• Moderators

Yes. I ate 4-5 meals per day for much of the first year I ate Whole30-style. Not on purpose, but because I became hungry often enough to eat 4-5 meals. After a while, I figured out what what to eat at each meal to make three meals per day keep me satisfied. 

Having said this, I don't think eating four meals per day instead of three will make a meaningful difference to your cortisol levels. Make sure you get enough sleep and manage your stress carefully to keep your cortisol down. 

Archived