Ellie's Whole30 Log

ellieqb

Hello world! This is my first Whole30, and I'm off to what I think is a pretty good start. Today is actually day two, so I'm feeling good that day one is already on the books! I read through the timeline yesterday so I know a headache is to be expected today. What's funny though is that I actually had a headache pretty much all day yesterday but haven't gotten one yet today. We'll see if that lasts :)

As far as a little background on me and why I'm doing this, I really just need a reset. I was paying really close attention to my eating and exercising about a year ago, but had some life events that through me down the spiral of emotional eating and junk food. I've been feeling pretty lousy lately, have gotten up to a weight that I never thought I'd see, and just need to get back on track! I've been suffering from IBS and heartburn for a while now and am just sick of feeling sick. I've dabbled in paleo before but have never really committed, so I'm using this to motivate me!

Now onto the food log:

Day one: Monday, 2/10

Breakfast: spinach frittata (eggs, coconut milk, frozen spinach, diced onion/garlic, ghee) and 1/2 avocado

Lunch: field green salad with shrimp and 1/2 avocado and tessemae's Italian dressing

Snack: handful of almonds (also ate some between breakfast and lunch)

Dinner: chicken breast with sautéed spinach, mashed cauliflower (with garlic and ghee) and paleo gravy (onions, garlic, tomato paste and chicken broth) cantaloupe for dessert

All in all a good day I think! I was pretty hungry throughout the day, so I've packed more food for today. Will report back on how today goes!

Welcome!

Meals look good: just confirm your chicken broth at dinner was compliant.

The need to snack in between meals can be an indication that your earlier meals need to be bigger. Play with your portion sizes on your protein, vegs, and fats until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

In the meantime, if you're genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Thanks Chris! I didn't even think to check the label on the broth, but sure enough, there's sugar in there! Same with the beef broth I used to make a huge batch of BBQ sauce. What a bummer! 

Definitely think my meals need to be bigger - bumped it up a bit today and not feeling ravenous like I was yesterday. I'm going to make some hardboiled eggs tonight to bring tomorrow to have with the nuts in case I get hungry between again. 

Appreciate the feedback!

Archived