Happy Hour and dating

Hi everyone, I'm 26 years old and currently doing the whole dating thing. I'm trying to plan and figure out what to do when a guy asks to grab a drink or wants to order wine over dinner. Any suggestions? I've gone to get coffee or brunch which avoided alcohol, but after work getting a glass of wine or a beer is always the easiest things to do. I live near DC when HH (Happy Hour) is huge! 

Help! I don't want to not have a social life, but I also don't want to ruin my W30. 

Also in DC, and yes, the HH scene is a huge part of the culture, but so a healthy lifestyle. I think at HH no one will really notice or care you are not drinking as long as you have something in your hand (working in the hospitality industry fake drinking is a survival technique, so I have done this) - and passing on the food is easy socially, I just say I am getting dinner later, etc...

I've been away from the dating thing so long I'll leave that advice to someone else. But, There are a lot of reasons people don't drink, but in general, if the guy is cool, he should not have a problem with you opting out of alcohol for whatever reason. 

This article may be helpful: http://whole30.com/2013/09/dear-melissa-dating/

On the drinking thing, plan to order a soda water and lime, or soda water and lime with a splash of cranberry juice.  If he asks why not alcohol, you can use some of the language in the article above about the 30-day program you've committed to.

Thanks for the article. A guy asked me out, while we were texting, I mentioned how I am making some dietary adjustments at the moment hoping to get the energy and recovery during my half ironman training. Surprisingly, he was OK with it. I mentioned that I was fine with going to a bar without having a drink. He suggested something else to not tempt me! I thought that was a great response! Thanks again for sharing the advice. 

Also, it's only 30 days (minus however you've already done) ...the alcohol will be there later! :) A coffee shop is always a good way to go or even DOING something fun like taking a walk around the city or a park. 

Thanks for the encouragement! You're right, It is ONLY 30 days :-) In the past I've gone to coffee shops, museums, running, hiking, and walks during dates. The cold winter makes it challenging, but I do like challenges. 

I recently moved to the DC area in August, so I'm still finding new places to go. If anyone lives in/near DC and has any suggestions, whether it's somewhere to go on a date or a fun place to check out, let me know! Especially some good, local, organic restaurants :-) 

Archived