First Whole 30 Started Feb 10!

emily222

Emily here!  I'm introducing myself since I think that support will be key as I go through the Whole 30 process.  I'd love to chat with anyone who's engaged with the program.  

I had a compliant day yesterday food-wise, but maybe not behavior-wise - I feel like I snacked on a few too many cashews after dinner, even though I tried to stick to the closed palm portion size.  I never really trust myself with that stuff because I usually weigh and measure my food as a strategy to help around preventing binge eating, and so perhaps I'm just feeling like I ate too many cashews because I didn't "measure" them (vs. measuring them with my hand).  Today is a new day, though!

I woke up feeling groggy, but I suppose that's just what to expect on Day 2.  

My food for today so far is: 

B - 2 mini egg muffins (mix of eggs, peppers and onions), 1/2 avocado, apple

L - bowl of broccoli curry soup from Nom Nom Paleo, serving of Moroccan meatballs from The Clothes Make the Girl, tangelo 

We have either pork chops or chicken leg quarters tonight (depending on which one is defrosted!) and I'll have that with veggies (either cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes, or a mix).  Probably some cashews and coconut milk/date cream for "dessert."  I've been cooking everything so far in coconut oil and olive oil, but we have some ghee that might be good for roasting carrots tonight.  So far, enjoying the food here and enjoying taking time to prepare things that make me feel good mentally.  

From those of you who have done a Whole 30 before: what's your best advice?  What do you wish you knew when you started out that you discovered by the end of the process? 

Looking forward to getting to know this community! 

Welcome to W30!

I would advice printing out the food template and putting it up in your kitchen where you will see it while preparing meals. I would advice doing that with the rules as well. Plan, plan, plan. Those things will get you far in your experience.

On both those notes I would say you might not be eating enough at your first meal. A palm sized serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand and usually with egg muffins that means 3 or 4 and you say these are mini egg muffins. Your "dessert" may be made with compliant ingredients but making desserts from compliant ingredients is against the rules. This program is as much about changing your behaviors towards eating as it is about what you eat.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Thank you for this helpful reply!  I am probably not eating enough protein in the mornings.  My egg muffin recipe uses 8 eggs to make 12 muffins, so that's about 1.33 eggs every time I eat two.  Definitely not a handful sized portion in the way you describe it.  I might need to add some additional protein and so will pick up some this afternoon and see how I feel tomorrow.  I've been getting hungry in the mornings around 11, and while that's not so bad I'd prefer to stay full until just before my next meal.  

It's funny, though: A palm sized portion of eggs seems like a ton to me, but a palm sized portion of meat (like my pork chop last night) honestly didn't feel like enough protein.  Maybe I need 2 palm sized protein pieces in the evenings?  I haven't been hardcore working out right now, just lots of walking, so I didn't think I should eat beyond the small end of the portion spectrum.  But perhaps that's just leftover "diet mentality" talking?

I get what you mean about the dessert thing.  I think I just need to stop thinking about or calling it dessert, because it was just a handful of nuts and some leftover homemade coconut milk creamer (I'm finding I'd rather take my coffee black) to finish off my meal.  But thinking about it as "dessert" is likely the real problem.   

on my first whole 30 I was very hungry the first 10 days or so, had to have a lot of protein (could easily eat 2 pork chops!), then it sort of calmed down and I reduced the protein portion.

So just eat if you feel like it!

I guess your body and your appetite need to adjust to this new way of eating :)

Thank you for this helpful reply!  I am probably not eating enough protein in the mornings.  My egg muffin recipe uses 8 eggs to make 12 muffins, so that's about 1.33 eggs every time I eat two.  Definitely not a handful sized portion in the way you describe it.  I might need to add some additional protein and so will pick up some this afternoon and see how I feel tomorrow.  I've been getting hungry in the mornings around 11, and while that's not so bad I'd prefer to stay full until just before my next meal.  

It's funny, though: A palm sized portion of eggs seems like a ton to me, but a palm sized portion of meat (like my pork chop last night) honestly didn't feel like enough protein.  Maybe I need 2 palm sized protein pieces in the evenings?  I haven't been hardcore working out right now, just lots of walking, so I didn't think I should eat beyond the small end of the portion spectrum.  But perhaps that's just leftover "diet mentality" talking?

I get what you mean about the dessert thing.  I think I just need to stop thinking about or calling it dessert, because it was just a handful of nuts and some leftover homemade coconut milk creamer (I'm finding I'd rather take my coffee black) to finish off my meal.  But thinking about it as "dessert" is likely the real problem.   

It is a hard adjustment to make if you have been in a calorie counting/eat less mentality for a long time. What you might want to do is plan to the upper end of the template and just save any leftovers. I feel while you are figuring things out it is always better to plan for too much than too little. That said eating a bigger 1st meal my help with making the 2nd and 3rd meals more satisfying. In addition to more protein at the first meal you might want to add some more vegetables too. I sometimes like to do a creamy vegetable soup in the morning. If you did that, a couple of your egg muffins, and maybe some compliant breakfast sausage along with your avocado and fruit (if you are still hungry) you should have a nice sized meal. 

Archived