Coffee & coconut milk... yuck

Mark

Well, so now I understand that I actually hate coffee, just love the sugar and cream. Tried to quit yesterday cold turkey and that has been a disaster. So today coffee with coconut milk. That right there is motivation in and of itself to quit! So what else can I use that might make coffee more palatable in the meantime while I am working on weaning myself off of it?

Thanks!

Before I went black (and loved it!), I was a cafe au lait girl - loved the creamy more than the coffee.  During the transition, I made hazelnut milk, sometimes with almonds to decrease the cost.  Now, I buy good coffee beans and can even tolerate yucky ones if I am in the right mood.  It didn't come in 30 days, but it came and it was glorious.

I can't believe you don't like coconut milk, I think it's so similar in coffee, but much more to skim milk than to cream

The other option you might like is coconut butter.  It's a solid, but if you melt it and really mix it in well it gives much more of that full fat taste.  I never used sugar in my coffee, so I can't comment on the sweetness aspect

I will say, though, that I have pretty much switched over to black coffee when I'm at work.  Never thought I would, but if you force yourself 2 or 3 times, you don't miss the milk anymore

Hmm.  That's tricky to me. If you are just using the coffee as a vehicle for sugar, cream and caffeine and truly cannot enjoy it black, then you might think about just dropping coffee entirely for your Whole30.   In a week, your body will be adjusted to the lack of daily caffeine.  Yes, it will be hard, but no harder than ditching all the other unhealthy foods that Whole30 requires.  "Recreating" a coffee drink that mimics coffee with cream and sugar isn't really in the spirit of Whole30 to me, because it goes against the principle of cutting out the things we crave, which will in turn mean that you will revert right back to coffee with cream and sugar after the Whole30 because you've just substituted a "fake version" as a stopgap.  :(   I feel like the rule that we can't eat "paleo treats" because they mimic those items which we crave should also apply to beverages we crave as well.

That sounds harsh, I know, but it's only my opinion.  Maybe someone else will chime in with some other recommendations for you.

Good luck on the Whole30!  I've luckily learned to love my coffee plain and black, but it was hard!

Actually it just occured to me that my wife (Argentinian) drinks mate cocido (yerba mate in tea bag format) and although I prefer with sugar I don't mind the taste without. I need to check but I am pretty sure it has caffeine. Hmm, I may have found a solution for now until I wean myself off of caffeine.

Correct, it was a can of Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk. Don't think I could drink coffee with only milk or cream either. Now if I could add some sugar I think it would be awesome! But then I think I'd be missing the whole point. And we thought my wife was the one with the sweet tooth in the family! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried coconut milk once before (prior to my Whole 30) and agree that it is pretty nasty. Maybe it was just because I was using non-compliant coconut milk with all the nasty ingredients. But since starting the Whole 30, I have been using whole 30 compliant almond milk, or compliant coconut/almond milk combo and it satisfies my caffeine needs. I used to use creamer with plenty of sugar and since I have become more aware of what ingredients that I am putting in my body, I realized that I really do not need sugar in my coffee.

• Moderators

Going without whole milk in my coffee was my biggest fear/challenge on my first Whole30.

I use about 1/4 c of coconut milk (full fat) and heated it a little, added a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa/cacao, a splash of coffee and blend with a stick blender. Then fill your cup with coffee.

The cocoa/cacao actually adds depth of flavor and not sweetness, so it won't be a good replacement if you are a regular Starbux mocha drinker. In fact, it may make it a little less sweet overall. I wasn't a "mocha" drinker before, but I love this faux mocha latte.

I miss half and half in my coffee the most out of everything I'm not eating right now.  I thought for sure it'd be cheese that I would be craving, but it's actually just a splash of cream that has been the hardest thing to give up.  Coconut milk is nowhere near the same thing, nor is almond milk.  I've never liked sugar in my coffee, so it isn't about the sugar and I used to drink it black, so I guess it is about the dairy and oh boy, do I miss it.

I'm glad you were able to give it up!

I love my coffee.  I love it black, I love it with sugar, I love it with cream, I love it with sugar and milk, and happily enough, I've found I enjoy it with coconut milk / cream.  I think a sprinkle of cinnamon with the coconut cream is very nice.  It helps to use really good coffee.  I normally use a home-roasted Kenya AA or Ethiopian coffee.

I know a lot of people like coconut cream in their coffee, but I really can't stand it myself. I personally discovered I liked black coffee during my first W30. I did have to switch my my coffee a few times once I stopped adding the sugar and creamer.

I personally am not sure I'd go cold-turkey off caffeine on top of a W30. I'd probably go the route of weaning myself off, by trying a step down approach with some tea substitutes in the morning in place of coffee (maybe starting by trying to find some 1/2 caff I could manage for a week).

I'm with the OP, I liked coffee for the cream and sugar that went with it.  I liked my coffee to have the equivalent taste of coffee ice cream, so it was a squirt of coffee with my cream and sugar. LOL  I had tried coconut milk in coffee before, and I hate it too. Its just not a taste I enjoy.  Coconut is only palatable to me in certain dishes or forms, and curdled coconut milk in coffee is not one of them for me.   I dropped coffee cold turkey this Whole 30.  I suffered through 3 days of withdrawal headaches, but i had long discovered, coffee didn't provide me with any energy boost and it was more ritualistic and taste of the cream and sugar that I wanted. I can't replace it.  I think the morning coffee is what I miss most b/c I think I know I can't go back and reintro it.  Its just something I probably can't have again, unless I'm willing to go black coffee (and I'm not)

Going without whole milk in my coffee was my biggest fear/challenge on my first Whole30.

I use about 1/4 c of coconut milk (full fat) and heated it a little, added a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa/cacao, a splash of coffee and blend with a stick blender. Then fill your cup with coffee.

The cocoa/cacao actually adds depth of flavor and not sweetness, so it won't be a good replacement if you are a regular Starbux mocha drinker. In fact, it may make it a little less sweet overall. I wasn't a "mocha" drinker before, but I love this faux mocha latte.

Hmm, that's an interesting recipe. Maybe i will try that after W30.

What about bullet-proof coffee?  I sometimes put 1 TBS of ghee and one of coconut oil in a mug of coffee and whirl it in my Magic Bullet (or you can use a stick blender).  It froths up nicely to a cafe-au-lait color, and the mouth-feel has the oiliness I missed from heavy cream.

I was so worried about drinking black coffee, granted i usually just have my coffee with 4 drops of stevia and a splash or two of store bought almond milk. It is day two and i've just enjoyed my second day of creamy delicious mildly sweet coffee. I referenced 2 recipes online to make my almond milk with vanilla bean, a date (which eventually i will cut out as i get used to less sweetness), cinnamon and sea salt. I used my nutri bullet to blend the milk and it is so thick and creamy, with a deep sweetness. it is incredible..in my book. 

Here are the links, hope they help you! P.s. it's not as hard or time consuming as it may seem. And you can use the left over pulp as a coating for meat!

My Favourite Homemade Almond Milk + Step By ... - Oh She Glows

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-almond-milk-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-189996

Another quick tidbit.  I used to be a cream and sugar girl and when I did my first W30 I used canned (Thai kitchen organic) coconut milk in my coffee.

BUT...then someone turned me on to a Toddy which is a cold brew system that takes the bitterness out of coffee.  It is absolutely delicious and all the bitterness and acidity is gone from the coffee when brewed this way.  It takes 12 hours to brew the concentrate and then you refrigerate it.  I use 4oz of the concentrate and 12oz of boiled water for my morning coffee and that is generally the only coffee I drink. (I used to drink a Venti iced latte everyday from Starbucks in the afternoon just to stay awake!)

Now I drink black coffee and am so used to it that I can even drink the regular stuff in a restaurant if I'm eating out and feel like a coffee.  It is never as good as what I make in my Toddy...but I can do it.

Search Toddy on Amazon (that is where I got mine) and then start experimenting with different beans.  I found a wonderful organic Nicaraguan blend that is divine.  Keep in mind that while a Toddy can do up to 16oz of beans the ideal is 12oz and you can go down to 8oz (1/2lbs) while you find a flavour you love.

Just my two cents but this contraption made me realize I really do love the flavour of coffee and it wasn't just a cream/sugar thing.

• 4 months later...

I made my own creamer using coconut cream and it is delicious!

1 can coconut cream

2 tbns coconut oil

1 egg, whipped

1 tsp. flavoring extract- be careful here. The vanilla at my store had corn syrup in it (yuck!) I used a vanilla butter nut flavoring.

Tastes like cake batter. I don't even miss the old stuff I used to drink.

I actually don't mind coconut milk in my coffee. I ordered organic coconut cream just for Whole30 and I hope to make it a permanent change. I do bullet proof coffee just about every day. I am good with dairy, it doesn't bother me. But I am also getting into cultured foods so when I am done, I want to start making my own kefir. I think it is OK to add that back after we are done with this right?

Archived