Juliamagnolia

I did a Whole30 in January that ended on Tuesday, February 4.  After taking five days off, I started a Whole60 on Monday...which derailed when I dug into mini-cupcakes that my husband had brought home from work (he resisted them because that was his Day 1 of his first Whole30 - way to go hubby!).  They were gluten-free and dairy-free, but DEFINITELY not sugar-free!  Hah!  Anyway, I started over yesterday, and since I'm in it for a longer time than my initial 30 days, I decided to use the forum to log my food for each day.  So, here it is!

Day 1: Tuesday, February 11

Workout (5:30-6:30 am): BodyAttack class

Breakfast (6:45 am): 4 eggs scrambled with 2 cups of spinach, mushrooms, red peppers, and green peppers, 20 oz. coffee with 4 tablespoons coconut milk

Lunch (11:45 am): 5 cups baby spinach/field greens mix with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, 3 oz. chicken, 1 hard boiled egg, and 1/2 small avocado, 1 sweet potato

Snack (4:45 pm): 1 cherry pie Larabar

Dinner (6:30 pm): 8 ounces curry chicken (coconut milk, curry paste, and chicken, cooked in a crock pot - YUM!), 2 cups roasted cauliflower (olive oil, salt, peper), 1 cup green beans, 1 cup blueberries with 1/4 cup coconut milk on top

Hahahaha, Johanna!  

Ahh!  Why would he bring cupcakes home when you're both doing a Whole30!?  I would have been so angry! 

Yeah, I think he just expected me to successfully avoid them since I'd had such a great Whole30.  He was wrong!  We have three boys, so we've been sending one mini-cupcake in their lunches the past few days.  They're finally gone!

Day 2: Wednesday, February 12

Breakfast (6:45 am): 4 eggs scrambled with 2 cups of spinach, mushrooms, red peppers, and green peppers, 20 oz. coffee with 4 tablespoons coconut milk

Lunch (11:45 am): salad (5 cups baby spinach/field greens mix with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, 3 oz. chicken, 1 hard boiled egg, and 1/2 small avocado), 1 sweet potato, 1 Larabar

Dinner (5:30 pm): 3 cups homemade chicken soup (chicken/kale/carrots/celery/onions), sweet potato fries baked with coconut oil and cinnamon, 1 pear

Day 3: Thursday, February 13

Breakfast (6:30 am): 4 eggs with 2 cups of spinach/red peppers/green peppers, 1 orange, coffee with 1/3 c. coconut milk

Lunch (11:45 am): 4 c. salad (spinach/olive oil/ balsamic vinegar/3 ounces chicken/1 egg/ half of a small avocado), 1 grapefruit, 1 large sweet potato

Workout (3 pm): just 15 minutes of light work- walking lunges, push-ups, wall squats, triceps push-ups

Snack (4 pm): 1/2 small apple, decaf coffee with 3 tablespoons coconut milk

Dinner (5:30 pm): huge spinach/shredded lettuce salad with seasoned ground turkey/avocado/salsa, 1 cup steamed broccoli/cauliflower, 2.5 cups pineapple/kiwi

So, my goal was to make it through this Whole60 without eating any nuts or dried fruit (except in the occasional dessert Larabar), but I totally blew it yesterday.  I bought cashews, apricots, dates, and sunflower seeds to make a trail mix for our three sons (ages 8, 5, and 2), who are mourning the loss of their usual easy snacks (granola bars, juice boxes, pretzels) as we move the whole family toward the Paleo lifestyle.

Anyway, while making the trail mix, I ate and ate the ingredients... finally, I mixed in their dairy-free chocolate chips, so that stopped me.  Ugh.

Here are yesterday's meals. 

Day 4: Friday, February 14

Breakfast (6:30 am): 3 eggs with 2 cups veg (spinach, red/green bell peppers, mushrooms), 1 orange, 20 oz coffee with full fat coconut milk

Lunch (11:45 am): 5 cups spinach/field greens salad (3 oz chicken, hard boild egg, olive oil and vinegar), 1 grapefruit, 1 sweet potato

Snack (4:00 pm): cashews/dates/sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds/dried apricots, huge quantities

Dinner (5:30 pm): green beans (1 cup), tilapia (2 oz)

I'd LOVE some feedback on my meals if anyone is reading this!

You've already addressed the snack, so I won't go there.  ;)

Your 1st two meals look ok. Meal 3 looks light in protein (maybe due to the trail mix earlier)? Ideally, your protein should be 1-2 palm sizes. Also, did you have a compliant fat?

Day 5: Saturday, February 15

Breakfast (8:00 am): 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 cup green beans, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch (1:00 pm): decaf with coconut milk, 3 scrambled eggs, 3 cups zucchini sauteed in olive oil, 6 dried dates, 1/4 c. raisins

Dinner (5:30 pm): 7 meatballs (the Nom Nom Paleo recipe with ground beef, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes)

Snack (8:30 pm): large apple with 2 T. almond butter

Yes, I was definitely full from the "snack", so I didn't finish my dinner.  The tilapia was cooked in olive oil - would that count as a compliant fat?

Yes, although if you cooked it in a pan on the stovetop, much of that fat stays in the pan. As such, you'd want to add some fat after cooking. Olives, for example.

Also, going forward with snacks, look for them to be a mini-meal, containing a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source. Limit your fruit to enjoy with or immediately after your meals.

Archived