Valentine's Day Menu

runninglawyer88

Are you planning anything special? 

Here's the menu that I've constructed for our special night: 

• STARTER: Salad with nuts (likely almonds), dried apricots, grilled chicken and balsamic vinegar (probably only for me since the husband doesn't really do salads) 
  • MAIN: shrimp cakes, roasted asparagus, and baked sweet potato topped with almond butter (add a steak and substitute a white potato topped with sour cream, cheese, and bacon for the husband) 
  • "DESSERT": berries for me (plain, nothing on them) and either a berry trifle for him (berries, whipped cream, pudding, angel food cake ---> my favorite) or a red velvet cheesecake (I'm pretty good at resisting this sort of thing since I'm used to making it and not eating it) 

I figured this was a good compromise because he wanted to go to NY for the day which would result in me getting frozen yogurt, pizza, and other nonsense. I told him I didn't want to eat those things and that I'd cook a special meal so this is likely the menu. The only thing that's remotely tempting is the trifle but I think that just having the fresh berries will be plenty indulgent since I never buy them due to the cost.

Sounds delicious!  Never used almond button on a sweet potato before.. will have to try that!

I was hoping to see some other ideas here, too!

I'm thinking about going to the fish market and getting some fresh steamed shrimp, possibly some asparagus and a salad to go along with it. I also picked up the prettiest organic strawberries you've ever seen at the market yesterday, and might top them with a little almond butter mixed with a dash of 100% cocoa powder to go along with the meal as well....  just for something special.

We splurged on a VERY nice ($$$) bottle of red wine on a trip to Napa several months ago and had planned to have it with our Valentine's dinner. Alas, we can't do that, so we're saving it for our "celebration" dinner after our Whole30 ends in a few days. B)

We splurged on some grass-fed NY strip steaks!  I have to admit I also made a treat for dessert that is definitely SWYPO but I'm going to think of it as fuel for a great workout tomorrow... Frozen "bites"  of blended avocado, banana, dates, cacao powder, and sea salt.  

Archived