Chicken/Turkey Recipes--HELP PLEASE!

runninglawyer88

You should learn how to spatchcock and roast a chicken.  We do this and then eat off it several days.  Then when it's just bones left, we make broth out of that.  It's a good way to stretch your dollars and makes good leftovers.

• Moderators

I have a chicken and a turkey section on my recipe blog: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/

In each section, the recipes appear in chronological order, so the older ones are at the top and the newer ones at the bottom. Since this blog is going on four years old, I've learned a lot since the beginning.

Thanks Tom. 

Ally- What is spatchcock? I've never heard that word. I know how to roast a chicken but i was thinking more recipe like instead of just ending with MEAT as a final product. I don't really like the idea of eating chicken off of a bone--sorry, after being vegetarian for 10 years it's still not something I'm comfortable with (I've only started eating meat ~2 weeks ago. 

Spatchcocking is an awesome way to cook a whole chicken. Basically you cut the backbone out so that you can lay it flat; it cooks faster than roasting a whole bird and gets crispy skin.

Most of the time when I cook a whole chicken, I pull the meat off the bones and then do something else with it - put it in a soup, for example, or use it in a hash. I don't love sitting there cutting meat off the bones at dinner either! And I've never been a vegetarian, but I've also never been in love with big hunks of meat. I eat more shredded or ground portions - makes it easier for me.

If you have a slow cooker, I just made this recipe from Nom Nom Paleo for the first time last week and have been loving it. I've been eating it with her garlic mashed cauliflower and zucchini noodles with garlic and olive oil, but it would be great with just about anything. The photo shows meat still on the leg, but I just pulled off all the meat at once.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy

Archived