Well Fed or Well Fed 2?

Crawls

I want to get a cookbook to try out some W30 recipes, I'm on day 16 and my 'regular' options are getting stale.  The Well Fed series seems to be the one with the most recommendations.  Of the two books, which do you prefer?  Is the second one more advanced than the first?  Or does it just contain additional recipes?  Thanks for the help!

I have both, and definitely recommend both. But if you pick one, I'd pick Well Fed 2 mainly because it's bigger (more recipes, plus tons of variations on several), it includes some of the basic info and recipes (mayo, for example) from Well Fed, and a lot of the recipes from Well Fed are on Mel's blog at this point, since it's been several years since Well Fed was published.

I also love Michelle Tam's cookbook Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans. I cook out of all three pretty much every week.

• Moderators

What a tough question to answer!

I loved Well Fed in part because it made my first whole30 amazing, tasty, and a culinary adventure. I'd say it really covers some great fundamentals (and not just for "newbie" cooks), new flavors, and maybe best of all it outlines the "Weekly Cookup" - the fastest most efficient way to prep most of your food for the week in short order.

I have Well Fed 2 and adore it as well. Some really incredible recipes just like the original.

If I HAD to choose, I guess it would be the first, because I have more recipes that are go-to for me.

I had a hard time deciding which to get, so I purchased them both from Amazon for about $30 total just this week.  (If you buy them both, you can get free shipping!)

They are both FANTASTIC.  I'm a cookbook lover. I read them like novels (literally) from cover to cover, and both of the Well Fed books are at the top of my list.

I'd just plan to get both.  If they both aren't in your budget at the moment, get the first one now and the second one next month.  Once you see one, you will instantly want the other one.  :P

I prefer the 1st. Many of the recipes in the 2nd book just seem too odd or "exotic" for me, I don't know. There are probably 4-5 recipes in the 1st book that I make on a regular basis. I haven't even been terribly motivated to try any in the 2nd book just yet.

Just a quick update - I made two recipes so far, the Citrus Carnitas (AMAZING!) and the Greek Broccoli - really good too, I actually threw in some extra veggies and think next time I'd skip the tomato paste, the herbs and garlic were really all it needed.  Planning to try the Pad Thai, Garlic-Lime Shrimp and the Bora Bora fireballs this week.  Thanks again for the recommendations, this was just the boost I needed!  Day 23 and going strong!

Almost all the recipes in both Well Fed and Well Fed 2 are Whole30 compliant. There are three or four combined in the two that aren't, and they're clearly marked (I think a fruit crisp, banana ice cream and sweet potato waffles).

Well Fed 2 also includes a list of modifications to make the recipes compliant with the autoimmune protocol, for those who need to do that.

Thanks for a great discussion everyone!  Day 30 and SO excited to have made it!  Well Fed was a definite boost over the last week, I ended up making the Pad Thai (good, but even better the second day after the sauce really soaked into the squash), Garlic Lime Shrimp (my favorite), Bora Bora Fireballs (user error - I did not drain the pineapple as well as I should have and they were a soggy mess but tasted good), Eggplant Strata and the Zucchini Aglio et Olio (together these were SO GOOD).  I'm going to keep cooking out of the book as I attempt some re-introduction over the next couple of weeks and just off-road here and there.  Thanks again for the recommendations, Well Fed was an excellent book and it definitely helped break me out of a rut and finish the 30 days strong! 

I spent an arm and a leg buying both these books at once, but I do not regret it at all.  There are so many different receipes in both, I am exctied to cook everything.  I took receipes out of each one for this weeks meals.  I would say, if you can afford it, to buy both of them ... you will be happy you did.

My first W30, I mostly made meals of ingredients, not recipes - a meat, a couple veggies, maybe a salad.  I had my 80 year old father-in-law living with me at the time and I just wasn't up for cooking two separate meals, so I made un-fancy things that he would eat.  It was actually easier for me that way, and a lot fewer dishes than the food I had been cooking prior to the W30.  :-) 

Having said that, I have been buying paleo cookbooks over the last year and have made several recipes, especially during the W30 I just completed. 

Nom Nom Paleo is my favorite - The recipes are quick and easy and yummy! The immersion blender mayo, the salmon cakes, the Korean ribs, the kalua pig...  all so very yummy!  I think this book is more kid-friendly.  I'd say her recipes are more American food with an Asian slant. 

I prefer Well Fed 2 to Well Fed. I haven't made as many recipes, but I really like those I have made.  I made the Japanese Gyoza Meatballs the other day and they were fabulous!  Melissa's recipes tend to be much more uniquely spiced.  While I do like them, I like to cook for leftovers and I don't usually care to have the same flavors two days in a row.  I like her recipe for zoodles too.  If you don't mind eating the same flavors for leftovers, or if you don't cook for leftovers, Well Fed is great - her recipes are definitely not boring, American food.  If I want lots of ethnic spices and flavor, Melissa's recipes are definitely a go-to.

I have also found several recipes in The Ancestral Table (lemongrass pork chops - mmmmmm) and Practical Paleo that I like, and Make it Paleo as well. 

Archived