Would love input on meals and portions!

JohannaE

I am on day 10 of my Whole30, and so far things are going well!  I just wanted to check in with some folks who might be more experienced and see if you had any input or advice on changes you would make to my diet.  I feel like I'm eating A TON - much bigger portions than I'm used to - but my meals have kept me full so I've been able to cut out snacking entirely, with the exception of pre-workout snacks, and of course I've cut out dessert.  As background, I excercise 5-7 days a week, a combination of cardio (boot camp and spin) and strength training (non-weighted and weighted). 

Here are three example days.  I would love your feedback!

• Pre-workout snack: 1/2 banana and 1 T almond butter
  • Breakfast: Buffalo chicken egg white cups with avocado and a power green salad (broccoli, brussels sprouts, chicory and kale) with almond butter balsamic dressing
  • Lunch: Three-layer Shepherd's Pie (sweet potato, ground turkey with vegetables and cauliflower puree)
  • Dinner: BBQ pulled pork with mashed plantains, avocado, blackberries and a power green salad with almond butter balsamic dressing.

• Pre-workout snack: half a banana and 1 T almond butter
  • Breakfast: pulled pork with two fried eggs and avocado
  • Lunch: Avocado-stuffed turkey meatballs (5) with roasted brussels sprouts
  • Pre-workout snack: 3 egg white omelette with blueberries and almond butter
  • Dinner: Buffalo chiken egg white muffins with avocado and a power green salad (broccoli, brussels sprouts, chicory and kale) with almond butter balsamic dressing

• Breakfast: Sweet potato and chicken sausage hash with roasted brussels sprouts, avocado and a fried egg
  • Lunch: Three-layer Shepherd's Pie
  • Dinner: Carrot and Zucchini Noodles with Ginger Garlic Salmon and Oyster Mushrooms

I have been working to get more veggies in meal 1 and to get more protein in my pre-workout snack (a couple of days I've had a boiled egg and 1T almond butter) but there are some days I just can't stomach eggs pre-workout, and I figure something is better than nothing!  Eggs are always cooked in coconut oil, veggies generally in olive oil.

What do you all think - too much? too little? missing things?  too much of things?  too much at some meals and not enough at others?  would love to hear thoughts!

Thank you!

Definitely doesn't look like too much--just curious as to why you used egg whites for the muffins and not whole eggs. Egg whites are okay post-workout but you should really be eating the whole egg at meal times and pre-workout (from my understanding). It also looks like you could be a bit light on fat depending on how much dressing you're using but that's hard to tell from just reading what you've posted. 

Definitely doesn't look like too much--just curious as to why you used egg whites for the muffins and not whole eggs. Egg whites are okay post-workout but you should really be eating the whole egg at meal times and pre-workout (from my understanding). It also looks like you could be a bit light on fat depending on how much dressing you're using but that's hard to tell from just reading what you've posted. 

I rotate egg whites and eggs because I eat a lot of eggs on this plan, I'm a bit concerned about the cholesterol.  My cholesterol runs high.  Maybe I needn't be concerned since I'm cutting out cheese?  What is the reasoning behind the Whole30 suggesting you eat the whole egg?  Fat and protein content?  

Meals look terrific.

The recommended preWO is protein and optional fat. If eggs are tough, pick another protein. Chicken perhaps?

Amd no fruit in preWO.

Thanks, Chris.  Will definitely work on that.  Didn't realize going in, but have started keeping boiled eggs on hand!

Yesterday's food log:

• Pre-workout snack: boiled egg and 1 T almond butter
  • Breakfast: Sweet potato and chicken sausage hash with a fried egg, avocado and roasted brussels sprouts
  • Lunch: Power green salad with salmon, avocado, blackberries, orange slices, walnuts and almond butter balsamic dressing
  • Dinner: Lemon garlic butter (ghee) spaghetti squash with shrimp and asparagus 

Don't do salads often, but that one was AMAZING and sure kept me full!  Needed more protein with dinner to keep me full all afternoon.  Next time I'll add more than 1 cup shrimp.

Yesterday's meal log:

Breakfast: 4 egg omelette with orange and coconut with a powergreen salad with almond butter balsamic
Lunch: Sweet potato and chicken sausage hash with a fried egg, avocado and roasted brussels sprouts

Dinner: Pastelon (plantain lasagna with ground beef) with a power green slaad

I rotate egg whites and eggs because I eat a lot of eggs on this plan, I'm a bit concerned about the cholesterol.  My cholesterol runs high.  Maybe I needn't be concerned since I'm cutting out cheese?  What is the reasoning behind the Whole30 suggesting you eat the whole egg?  Fat and protein content?  

More current studies have shown that dietary cholesterol doesn't have much affect on blood cholesterol levels. Our liver makes cholesterol because our bodies need it. Usually higher cholesterol levels are an indication of another problem and/or genetics. 

I definitely have a harder time sticking with the three round meals template on the weekend just because of my schedule.  I usually get up a bit later on the weekends and do a mid-morning workout class shortly after I get up.  I don't want a full meal before working out so I have a pre-workout snack, but by the time I'm through it's time for meal 2, not meal 1.  I've been getting better at what I eat as snacks when I do eat snacks though.  Sometimes I'll even split the food from one meal into a pre-workout snack and then a mid-afternoon snack in place of a meal 2.  I know this doesn't perfectly follow the Whole30 meal template, but it's really the best I can do given my schedule.  And it certainly feels better than snacking on nuts and dried fruit!

Archived