Conquering headaches and general fatigue

Andrea Hill

Day 1 Meals

I made it through day 1. My general goals are to eliminate headaches and increase my energy. I have always had issues with both problems. When I am sitting quietly, like at a movie theater or in church, I will fall asleep no matter how much sleep I got the night before.

Breakfast

1. 2 cups of coffee with coconut/almond milk

2. 3 eggs with ghee, organic bacon, avocado, tomatoes, onions, yellow pepper, and kale

3.  1/2 grapefruit

Mid-Morning Snack

strawberries and two small oranges

Lunch

Homemade soup -- organic chicken broth, ground turkey, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, spinach/kale mix

Green tea

Mid-afternoon snack

handful of almonds and pumpkin seeds

apple

Pre WO

tuna, cashews, chopped yellow peppers and tomatoes

Post WO (on the drive home, right before dinner)

carrots

Dinner

Chicken with avocado oil and flax seed, kale, mushrooms, tomato

I would appreciate any feedback any one has to help me through the next 29 days.

• Moderators

Coconut milk that comes in cans is generally what you must use. The stuff that comes in cartons has nasty, off-plan ingredients. Almond milk without carrageenan is around, but you have to look for it. Much that you can find in stores has off-plan ingredients. 

Three eggs, bacon, and veggies sounds okay. Bacon without sugar is hard to find. Make sure of yours. That you needed a snack, however, suggests that you needed to eat more at breakfast. Snacking is generally a sign your previous meal was too small or lacked protein and fat. Coffee can be an appetite suppressant, so you may need to cut the coffee in order to eat enough.

Soup for lunch may set you up to be hungry later in the day. Generally you need at least a palm-size portion of protein with each meal. I find I have trouble being satisfied long after eating soup.

Again, view needing a snack as a sign that your previous meal needed to be more substantial. 

Your pre WO food was good. Your post WO food is inadequate. You need protein after exercise to feed hungry muscles. Carrots is just filling your stomach, which is not the point of a meal. The point of eating is to nourish your body. After exercise, your body needs lean protein.

Dinner sounds good.

In addition to Tom's advice, as you build up your meals to satiate you for 4-5 hours, if you're still hungry in between (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat. Nuts and seeds are fat sources on a Whole30.

Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to enjoy with or immediately after your main meals only. A fruit serving is the size of your fist.

The bacon that I purchased was Applegate naturals and the only sugar it had was maple sugar. I didn't see maple sugar on the Sneaky Sugar list, only maple syrup. Is maple sugar detrimental to the Whole 30, too?

I agree soup is not very filling, which is why I purposely added a handful of ground turkey to the mix. Is that not enough protein.

Unfortunately, it is really hard to eat a post workout meal when I finish with my workout and immediately go home and eat dinner. That's way too much food for me to eat between both a post workout meal and dinner. Should I just skip a post workout meal in this case.

Good to know about the coffee and coconut milk. Is tea better drink, provided there is no added sugar and other detrimental ingredients. My coconut/almond milk combo does not have any carrageenan, but it does have Lecithin and locust bean gum. Are these two ingredients something that I should avoid?

My Day 2 meal plan was as follows:

B- Coffee and coconut/almond milk (2 cups) -- I think I will try some organic tea tomorrow instead

3 eggs with ghee, Applegate Naturals bacon, onions, spinach, yellow peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, avocado

1/2 grapefruit

Mid-morning snack -- Strawberries/carrots/ hard boiled egg

L- Tuna with cashews, tomato, yellow peppers, orange

Mid-afternoon snack --- pumpkin seeds, almonds, broccoli

D- turkey burger with avocado

salad -- lettuce, broccoli, carrots, tomato with a mixture of balsamic vinegar/avocado oil/sea salt for the dressing

apple

No sugar of any kind is allowed on a Whole30. That makes your bacon not compliant, sorry.

Have enough turkey with the soup to satiate you for 4-5 hours.

It's caffeine that's an appetite suppressant. So whether you drink caffeinated coffee or tea in the morning, just be sure it's after your first meal.

As long as the lecithin is not soy lecithin, you're fine.

If you need between snacks, again, make them a mini-meal including a protein and fat.

I'd suggest adding 1 carb-dense vegetable daily, to help with your energy.  Carb-dense veggies include sweet potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parnips.

Also make sure you're getting 7-8 hours of sleep nightly.

Days 3-7 have been interesting and I am finally starting to figure out what types of food to eat and when. I spent my weekend going grocery shopping and trying to figure out what I can eat. Reading ingredients isn't as daunting.

Day 3

B- tea, 3 eggs with ghee, bacon ( although I now now it is non-compliant, it goes against me to throw food out), lettuce, onions, mushrooms, cilantro and avocado and half a grapefruit

Snack (wasn't quite ready to give up a mid-morning snack since I have six hours between breakfast and lunch) -- strawberries and hard boiled egg

Lunch- tuna, yellow peppers, tomatoes, cashews

Mid afternoon snack - apple and carrots

Dinner - salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sliced almonds, balsamic vinegar, avocado oil and sea salt

Chicken and red potatoes

Coconut ice cream (non-compliant but was celebrating Valentines Day with friends and wasn't quite ready to go without dessert). I did however stay away from the chocolate cake that everyone else was eating (normally I would have not been able to resist the temptation).

Tea

Day 4

B- coffee with coconut/almond milk and eggs with ghee, bacon, spinach/kale mix, onions and mushrooms

S-kiwi and hard boiled egg

L- lettuce, tomato, cucumber, broccoli salad with chicken and almonds, 2 small oranges

S- apple

D- cod with ghee, garlic, cilantro, lime

Zucchini, yellow peppers, onions, avocado oil, sea salt

Black currant tea

Day 5

B-Coffee, eggs, ghee, spinach, kale, bacon, flax seed, onion, mushrooms, avocado

1/2 grapefruit

S- kiwi, almonds, pumpkin seeds, almonds

L- salmon salad with chia seeds, olives, cashews, onions, yellow peppers, mushrooms, avocado

1 small orange, carrots, broccoli

D- turkey burger, sweet potato, salad-- spinach, celery, broccoli, balsamic vinegar, avocado oil, sea salt, almonds

Orange tea

Day 6

B--Tea, 3 eggs, mushrooms, onions, yellow peppers, spinach, avocado, 2 small oranges

S-- fruit strip (no sugar) and coffee

L- spinach/kale sale with chicken, avocado, olives, balsamic vinegar/avocado oil/sea salt

Snack while at the movie theater (in lieu of normal popcorn eating) -- almonds, pumpkin seeds, dried apricots

Pre-workout snack (not prepared for this work out) -- I just had an apple with me, so I thought it was better than nothing.

D-Spaghetti squash with homemade sauce -- diced tomatoes, sauce, paste, ground turkey, mushrooms, onions, cilantro, spinach/kale mix, black olives, chia seeds

Day 7

B- coffee, blueberry breakfast clafouti (eggs and blueberry quiche with coconut milk, ghee, sea salt, vanilla, cinnamon) my new favorite breakfast dish

L-2 hard boiled eggs chopped up with tahini sauce, kale, spinach, olives, tomato, chia seeds

Strawberries

Pre-workout- chicken and cashews

Post-workout- canned salmon, olives, cashews, mushrooms, onion, small amount spaghetti squash

D- spaghetti squash with shrimp cooked with avocado oil, black olives, spinach, olive oil, avocado

Apple

Tea

Sorry, but it looks like you need to restart.

The coconut ice cream alone calls for that. If you still have the non-compliant bacon, freeze the rest until after your Whole30. And if the vanilla in this morning's breakfast was vanilla extract, that's not compliant. Look for future breakfast to meet the recommended template of protein, veg and fat. Post WO should be lean protein and carb: no fat.

I am not going to re-start the program. If anything, I will go three extra days to make it a whole 33. I am using Whole 30 more as a guide to better and more clean eating, and with that I have already seen an improvement. Thanks for your feedback!

Does any one know where I can find compliant deli meats? Everywhere I go, all I find has some degree of sugar, even the organic stores in the area. I am hoping to get to Whole Foods sometime this week, but in the meantime I have cooked and sliced some organic chicken to eat that for my pre-workout/post workout meals.

Does any one know where I can find compliant deli meats? Everywhere I go, all I find has some degree of sugar, even the organic stores in the area. I am hoping to get to Whole Foods sometime this week, but in the meantime I have cooked and sliced some organic chicken to eat that for my pre-workout/post workout meals.

The chicken is a great choice for pre/post WO.

On the deli meats, some folks have had luck at the Whole Foods deli counter. You'll need to grill the deli folks on whether the meat contains any nasties like sugar, gluten, soy, MSG or carrageenan.

Another question -- is ham compliant? I have been looking everywhere for ham without sugar but so far the closest I have found is organic ham with organic honey. Does ham exist without sugar?

It is very hard to find compliant ham. I personally feel there are much better protein options. Robb Wolf's food matrix has lots of ideas. 

I have been doing well with my meals, beefing them up with more carb dense vegetables and protein. I am adding limited fruit to the end of my meals. I don't find the urge to snack as much between meals. But the past four days I have been exhausted. I am still getting 7-8 hours sleep and drinking a ton of water. I am more tired now than before I started whole 30. Any suggestions?

I just went to the doctor prior to starting Whole30 and had a bunch of lab work done and everything came back "normal". Honestly, I was feeling much better and alert the first 10 days of my whole 30. Now I seem to be tired again. I didn't know if my body is adjusting to the foods I am now eating or maybe all the cold, wet weather we have been having.

Day 8

B-3 eggs, yellow peppers, zucchini, spinach/kale mix, cauliflower, onions, tomatoes, onions, avocado oil

2 oranges, coffee

Mid morning snack-banana, tea

L- Butternut Squash Soup, compliant chicken broth, sea salt, pepper, cinnamon, flax seed

Strawberries and tea

S=Tea and apple

Pre WO- chicken and cashews

Post WO - salmon, olives, mushrooms, yellow peppers with spagetti squash

D- Mexi salad with fresh guacamole and salsa, blueberry pomegranate juice (organic)

Day 9

B-Blueberry egg quiche, 2 oranges

Snack-banana

L- Chicken with spaghetti squash, 1/2 sweet potato, strawberries, carrots, tea

S- sliced chicken, almonds, pumpkin seeds, hard boiled egg, tea

D- Cod with lemon, sea salt, pepper, Asparagus with ghee, Larabar and tea for dessert

Day 10

B-3 eggs, kale, zucchini, tomato, ground turkey, chia seeds, coffee, 2 oranges

S-banana

L- Salmon salad w/ onions, black olives, yellow peppers, mushrooms, spaghetti squash

Carrots, Strawberry and Kiwi

S- Almonds/pumpkin seeds

D-Chicken, Salad (spinach, tomato, mushrooms, cucumber, balsamic vinegar/avocado oil dressing), Asparagus

Apple and blueberry/pomegranate juice

Decaf tea before bed

Day 11 ( Day I started feeling tired)

B- Egg/blueberry quiche, 2 small oranges, coffee

S-Banana, fruit leather

L- Shrimp, spaghetti squash, tomato dish

Salad (spinach, cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, balsamic vinegar)

Strawberries

S-hardboiled egg, apple, pumpkin seeds, almonds

Pre WO-Chicken, cashews, flax seeds

No Post workout, but dinner pretty close after WO

D-Salmon with ghee, lemon, chives. Sweet potato with sea salt, pepper

Fruit and nut bar (organic)

Day 12

B-Blueberry/egg quiche, strawberries, kiwi, 1/2 sweet potato with kale and avocado, coffee

L-Salmon salad

Movie Theater Snack-Almonds, organic raisins, dried apricots

D-Tuscan Vegetable Soup with Lean Pork and chicken, spaghetti squash

Tea before bed

Day 13

B- 3 eggs, kale, zucchini sauteed in avocado oil, garlic salt, mushrooms, hot sauce, sea salt, pepper, 2 Oranges

S- banana, almonds

L-Spinach/spring mix topped with tuna with tahini sauce, sweet potato, cashews, avocado, chia seeds, Strawberries

Pre WO- Chicken and cashews

D-Cod with lemon, thyme, garlic, salt/pepper, asparagus, spaghetti squash, Apple

Tea at bedtime

Day 14

B-Coffe with almond milk, 3 eggs, sweet potatoes, spinach/spring mix, orange pepper sauteed with avocado oil, sea salt, pepper, proschiutto, chia seeds, fresh salsa, 1/2 grapefruit

L-Tuna on spinach with orange peppers, tomato, tahini sauce, topped with sweet potato and cashews, avocado, chia seeds, Strawberries and kiwi

S-Apple

D-Herb Roasted Lamb Chop, Mashed Cauliflower, Spinach Salad with tomato and cucumber

Dessert-Crustless Pumpkin Pie/Quiche (Pumpkin Puree, Eggs, Pure Vanilla, Canned Coconut Milk

Day 15

B-Eggs, broccoli, flax seeds, salsa, avocado, 1/2 grapefruit, coffee

S-Banana, almonds, squash seeds

L-Kenyan Braised Collard Greens and Ground Turkey, Strawberries, Kiwi

Pre WO-Chicken with Tahini Sauce, Orange Pepper, broccoli

Post WO-Chicken/Hardboiled Egg

D-Spaghetti Squash with Sauce (Diced Tomatoes, Sauce, Mushrooms, Onions, Cilantro, Spinach, Kale, Black Olives, Chia Seeds, Ground Turker

Dessert-Crustless Pumpkin Pie/Quiche (Pumpkin Puree, Eggs, Pure Vanilla, Canned Coconut Milk)

Thanks for your help in pinpointing why I am still very tired.

First, there's the pumpkin pie dessert. Sorry, that's a no no on a Whole30. No Paleo-ifying treats. Also fruit juice is to be used only in cooking, not as a beverage.

Snacks are recommended to be a mini meal including a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source. I'm thinking the additional protein and fat could help your energy.

PostWO is lean protein and carb. No fats. If you have eggs, have the white only. Salmon is a bit fatty: chicken would be a better protein choice.

Limit fruits to 1-2 per day, only have with or immediately after your main meals. A serving is the size of your fist.

Have at least one carb dense veg daily (spaghetti squash is low carb). In general, get 1-3 cups of veggies at each meal.

What is "Paleo-fying" exactly? The pumpkin pie dessert only had compliant ingredients, it wasn't the typical "pumpkin pie", but more of a pumpkin quiche.

My goal is definitely to continue reducing the fruit I eat. I typically use it as an easy default when I am hungry. I will try to incorporate more protein into my mid-morning snack if I need one.

Archived