Strabucks...missing lattes, soy v. milk?!?

chayward

I'm done my whole30 and am tweaking to stay in the program while at home, etc. In my job I go for a lot of coffees and I'm tried of having tea, and don't love coffee sans milk! If I'm treating myself what are the thoughts on soy milk vs. cow's milk??? The internet is not helpful on this topic so thought I'd check with the crew here!

Have you tried nut milk as an alternative?  We do homemade nut milk which is very easy if you own a blender - 1 cup of almonds/nuts of your choice to 3 cups of water.  Blend it in a high speed blender and then strain through a cheese cloth.   :

We then mix our hot coffee with a splash of nut milk and a little coconut oil or ghee in the blender (just for a few pules) - the result is frothy and delicious!!

If you reintroduce each--dairy and soy--you can determine which is less bad for you personally. But I'd only go that route if you really don't have a strong preference on dairy vs. soy. If you DO have one you prefer, drink that! Enjoy! Deal with the aftermath as appropriate.

It seems that soy and unsweetened almond milk contain carageenan which is something we shouldn't eat.  At least on during the 30 days but when Iooked it up maybe not at all! (not if you make it yourself though!)

That's why most of us make our own nut milks.  You can use almonds, hazelnuts, etc.  No carageenan.

I now avoid Carageenan like the plague, it makes my insides really unhappy, but I didn't notice as it was in so many things :(

If you go out for coffee a lot, have a chat with your local cafes and see if they'll store some coconut milk or cream and use it for you when you come in. If you supply it, they should be pretty keen for a regular customer :)

If you can't have gluten, many soy milks contain it.

Soy and dairy both make me sick, so coconut is my coffee option :)

Peet's coffee now carries unsweetened almond milk that can be substituted into any drink.  It does have carageenan in it so it's not Whole 30, but is a good option for the occasional off roading.  I personally find that I can tolerate carageenan in small amounts so an occasional almond milk latte is a great off option for me when I want to go out for coffee or I'm in a pinch.

I have a friend who carries a little bottle of coconut milk in her purse so she can add it to coffee and tea when going out.  I'd consider doing that over soy milk or real milk.  You might also consider trying better coffee.  I've had coffee drinking friends tell me that cream is only necessary when coffee is inferior.  I can't speak to that as I'm a tea person myself, but maybe there's something to what they say.  

Archived