Breakfast suggestions, please

GeekishlyApropos

I am the most non-creative person when it comes to breakfast. I'm okay with repetition. I don't usually eat breakfast so with starting my first Whole 30 this week, to ween myself onto breakfast, I've been eating apple slices with sunbutter. I now, this doesn't meet the full breakfast requirement, but I'm working up to it.

My husband doesn't get up early enough to eat breakfast before we leave for work and is happy to munch on some banana chips if he gets hungry. I am by no means a morning person so elaborate cooking and cleaning in the morning isn't something I look forward to, but I know I have to learn to do it anyway and I'm convinced if I cook it the husband will get up early enough to eat it.

I need help coming up with some relatively easy breakfasts! I have no problem with eggs. I can't eat nuts or certain forms of coconut (oil is okay).

I have this recipe for a Fiesta Breakfast Bowl I'm looking forward to trying.

I keep going over recipes on Pinterest and on blogs, but my mind seems to get overwhelmed thinking about making breakfast. It all seems so complicated.

What are some good, relatively simple, Whole 30 breakfast ideas or recipes?

My new favorite is the hash from well fed 2. It's a easy transition from my previous sweet breakfasts like oatmeal or peanut butter toast. I fix it Sunday and then depending on how much time I have I can poach eggs on top, slice hard boiled eggs on top, or just leave out the eggs and nuke it to eat in the car on my way to work. (Hey, life's not perfect!). It's a pound of ground turkey and a little minced onion sautéed in coconut oil. Then a cubed cooked sweet potato and a chopped apple. Then season with the sunshine spice mix (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc). I think that's about 4 servings depending on if you add eggs or not. Hope that helps a little.

Lately mine is:

Prep ahead:

Mince an onion and saute it in some fat of choice.

take some ground meat (a pound usually) and brown it.  Add some salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.  Put that aside for the week (usually it will last me 3 to 4 days).

Shred a sweet potato. Here's where having a food processor with a shredding attachment is really nice.  Put the shredded sweet potato in a airtight container.  It will keep.

Have some washed spinach on hand.

In the morning - I will melt a little oil in the pan.  Add some of the cooked ground meat to "warm up".  Add whatever quantity of sweet potato to the pan.  Season liberally (I use salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and paprika) stir around and let the sweet potato cook a bit.  Add handfuls of spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.  Depending on how hungry I am I will also add 1 - 2 eggs and scramble them with the mixture. 

When ready I serve it with a nice healthy dollop of homemade mayo.  Yummmmmmmm

I don't have time to cook in the morning, so I prep a few days at a time. Baked sweet potatoes and hard boiled eggs are not exciting, but they keep for a few days and are not messy in the morning. I just reheat the potato add a little salt and clarified butter and have some hard boiled eggs. 

• Moderators

I like a breakfast casserole that I can make up ahead of time and just reheat. I usually use 10-12 eggs, a couple of cups of spinach, a sweet potato, and some kind of pre-cooked meat (breakfast sausage is nice if you can find some that's compliant or want to make your own, but I've used shredded roast chicken, ground beef -- whatever you have/feel like making). I like to put the eggs and spinach in my blender thing (I have one like this; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Euro-Pro-QB1000-Master-Prep-Pro-Food-And-Drink-Mixer/28923894 -- so it may be more like a food processor in the way the food ends up?), it shreds the spinach up and mixes it with the egg. I also add salt and pepper at this point. Then I put that in a bowl, and run the peeled sweet potato through the blender thing so it's shredded, dump that in the bowl with the spinach and egg, add the meat, and stir it all thoroughly, put it in a greased 10x13 pan, and bake at 350 until the edges are brown and the middle is done. Once it's done and cooled, I divide it into individual servings and freeze about half of them. It can be reheated in the oven or toaster oven or in the microwave, or if you're really running late, eat it cold.

You can vary what you put in it, those are just the veggies I like. I usually get 6-8 servings, depending on how much meat/eggs is in it -- I try to make sure I get at least two eggs' worth plus the meat, if I did one without meat, I'd do bigger servings to get three-four eggs. I also supplement it with more veggies and some fat when I eat. 

I make a batch of sausage on cook-up day (really easy and it keeps all week).  And I roast some cubed sweet potato.  In the morning, I can fry up a couple of eggs in the time it takes to zap the other ingredients in the micro.  If I have cooked spinach or asparagus on hand, I throw them in with the sausage and potatoes.

My other fav is a breakfast casserole--12 eggs, some meat, spinach (cooked or frozen-thawed, and well-drained), onion, tomato, mushrooms, peppers, basically whatever I have on hand.  I bake it in a 9x12 dish, cut and individually wrap.  If I'm in a hurry, it can go from freezer to microwave, and you can eat it in the car with one hand.

I get up at 4:30 and leave at 5am....so breakfast must be ready to go.  I cook up a dozen deviled eggs on sunday and eat them for breakfast throughout the week.  They travel pretty well.  I also bring a ziplock bag of lettuce with me.  I put some oil and vinegar in the bag right before eating and shake it up well.  Then I just eat it out of the bag....yes, I'm lazy, but it works for me!

I'm not usually hungry first thing in the morning.  So I end up eating breakfast at work.  The 'bag of salad' works well since it's not messy and I can eat it at my desk.  I just throw the bag away when done.  I do get some strange looks holding a bag of salad, but then again, I've always gotten strange looks!

Egg Muffins are fast, easy and delicious. I made some last night. I was skeptical on how they would turn out, but they were delicious. I  packed 2 for breakfast with a side of chicken sausage. Zapped it in the microwave when I got to work and BAM! Breakfast in a jiffy. It tasted like an omelette, but without all the fuss in the morning. I highly suggest making a batch of these and keeping them for the week :-) 

Egg Muffins are fast, easy and delicious. I made some last night. I was skeptical on how they would turn out, but they were delicious. I  packed 2 for breakfast with a side of chicken sausage. Zapped it in the microwave when I got to work and BAM! Breakfast in a jiffy. It tasted like an omelette, but without all the fuss in the morning. I highly suggest making a batch of these and keeping them for the week :-) 

I did egg muffins this weekend and they were a tasty and convenient breakfast.  However - how do you make them without destroying your muffin tin?  Do you use paper liners?

My favorite breakfast is a sweet potato with pork sausage and frozen blueberries. I get plain ground sausage and season it at home (dried thyme and sage, some nutmeg, a dash of red pepper flakes) and cook up about 1-2# at the beginning of the week. It's easy to microwave a few sweet potatos at once and just toss those into a container with some sausage and blueberries. This really is my favorite all time W30 breakfast.

A really great make ahead egg bake (it even freezes well) I found at http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/2012/09/make-ahead-italian-brunch-bake.html. It actually works great with a whole bunch of different veggies.

Another idea, I think my sister is a fan, is soup for breakfast. Melissa Joulwan has a few "cream" soups that she recommends as breakfasts (her site is http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/.

If I have to be on the road (my new job has me traveling one day a week, and I usually just eat at my desk for breakfast), I like a few harboiled eggs with jerky and a piece of fruit.

I personally find that breakfast is the most likely meal I just put on "repeat", once I find something I keep it until I can't stand the thought of eating it one more day!

I did egg muffins this weekend and they were a tasty and convenient breakfast.  However - how do you make them without destroying your muffin tin?  Do you use paper liners?

This I haven't figured out yet :-/ I made a batch and greased the pan, some I did with olive oil, some with ghee. Both did NOT work. Now i'm stuck with a super messy crusted muffin pan. I'm going to try to see if a silicone muffin pan will work. 

Any suggestions on how to clean the pan? 

I tried making egg muffins & they were terrible!!! Looked great when I pulled them out of the oven, fell, and when I got them out the next morning for my quick breakfast they were like rubber........AND I now have a ruined muffin tin, too!!

If you really like your recipe would you share?  Maybe I can figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks!!!

I tried making egg muffins & they were terrible!!! Looked great when I pulled them out of the oven, fell, and when I got them out the next morning for my quick breakfast they were like rubber........AND I now have a ruined muffin tin, too!!

If you really like your recipe would you share?  Maybe I can figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks!!!

this is the recipe i used:

http://enerjeniclife.blogspot.com/2014/01/whole30-week-1-day-3.html?m=1

i would eat 2 for breakfast with a half an avocado smeared on them, almost like frosting :) they reheated fine (1 min) for 4 days after i baked them.  i am going to make them again this week - with parchment - in my brand new muffin tin cause i just gave up on cleaning it.  i think i will simplify by cooking and crumbling the bacon in the mixture, rather than trying to be cutesy with the cups.

My favorite breakfast is the salmon cake recipe from It Starts With Food.  They are filling, portable and delish!!!  The recipe makes 10 cakes so I have enough for the week. They are good heated or cold.  I also cram as much baby leaf spinach in a 3-4 cup container as I can with a teaspoon of ghee or bacon fat and salt.  I steam the spinach in the microwave and instant breakfast.  I get a big container of organic spinach from my warehouse club and make up 5 containers to have in the refrigerator.  This takes care of my workday breakfast.

Thanks!!!

I didn't use a recipe per say. What I did was: I took 6-8 eggs with a dash of coconut milk (more for the looks, can omit)  and sea salt beat them in a bowl. You can use more or less eggs depending upon how many muffins you want. In a skillet I sauteed in olive oil, onion, peppers, garlic, spinach, and pepper. I placed a portion of the veggie mix in each muffin pre-greased** then poured the eggs right on top. Baked on 350 for 30minutes (time will vary depending on oven). 

You can add any veggies or ingredients you wish. I make chicken sausage on the side and top the muffins with avocado and hot sauce (w30 compliant of course). 

** I will use parchment lined cups next time and will keep you posted on how they turn out. 

Making your own sausage is SO easy!!  

2 pounds of ground turkey

1 teaspoon sage

1 teaspoon thyme (i like the whole leaf not ground)

1/2 teaspoon rosemary

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon fennel seed crushed (optional - I'm from the south)

salt . pepper

Mix it all together with your hands (gross) and leave in the fridge for at least 24 hours to let the flavors mix. 

Sometimes I will do a TON if I find turkey on sale then section it out in freezer bags at a pound each. 

It is so much cheaper to make your own!

Making your own sausage is SO easy!!  

2 pounds of ground turkey

1 teaspoon sage

1 teaspoon thyme (i like the whole leaf not ground)

1/2 teaspoon rosemary

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon fennel seed crushed (optional - I'm from the south)

salt . pepper

Mix it all together with your hands (gross) and leave in the fridge for at least 24 hours to let the flavors mix. 

Sometimes I will do a TON if I find turkey on sale then section it out in freezer bags at a pound each. 

It is so much cheaper to make your own!

Ths makes me laugh because I have to wear latex gloves to touch raw meat.....whata baby, right?!

Ths makes me laugh because I have to wear latex gloves to touch raw meat.....whata baby, right?!

That did make me laugh. I had no problem handling raw meat before, but I recently had acrylic nails put on which aren't very long at all, but I was just thinking I need to get some gloves to wear when making meat loaf or sausage. And I remember thinking, "stop being a baby", but it was really grossing me out.

• Moderators

Best make ahead breakfast options I've found:

1. Frittata - over medium-low heat, toss some thinly sliced onions in fat of your choice and cook about 5 minutes. Bump the heat to medium and add your favorite herbs and/or spices, maybe a bit of garlic powder, a little protein (optional) and veggies  -- whatever you need to use up or my favorite combo, diced red bell peppers + spinach. Cook until soft. Meanwhile beat 6-8 eggs in a bowl with some salt and pepper. Add a little more fat, then pour these over the veggies in the pan. Cook about 5 minutes. or until it seems pretty "set", then pop it under the broiler for 3 minutes to cook the top. Eat some right away, or cut into wedges and save for the mornings.

2. Nom Nom Paleo's Prosciutto-wrapped mini-frittatas. Don't skimp on the coconut milk, that's what keeps them from being rubbery.

3. Paleo Latkes: Rutabaga, shredded + egg + a little coconut flour, salt, pepper. Mix everything together, form patties, fry up in a cast iron pan. Grab and go. You might need to add a little protein - smoked salmon, a couple of hard-cooked eggs, something else.

4. Hard-cooked eggs. So convenient. Just add some sliced up cucumbers, baby carrots or any raw veggies as a side.

That did make me laugh. I had no problem handling raw meat before, but I recently had acrylic nails put on which aren't very long at all, but I was just thinking I need to get some gloves to wear when making meat loaf or sausage. And I remember thinking, "stop being a baby", but it was really grossing me out.

OK, so for really gross, try "de-skinning" a whole chicken!  I won't describe it for you - LOLOL

I am not a fan of eggs and lately Ive been eating sausage and brussel sprouts for breakfast every day. 

I like the aidells chicken and apple or the Trader Joes Chicken and Garlic. I just take the links out of the package, slice them up and put on top of a bunch of pre roasted brussels.  Microwave the whole thing, then top  with some spicy mustard  and avocado and yum.

oh for the egg muffins? I have three words. SILICONE MUFFIN CUPS!

I tossed my muffin pan and haven ever looked back. Worth every penny.  Not my favorite breakfast item because I do not love eggs, however I always have some on hand.   Usually in the freezer. I will put them in my purse still frozen when I know I am going to be out all day.  I use nomnompaleo recipe but skip the procuitto. Not wasting the good stuff on egg muffins!! Rather have that with melon!

Archived