Accident - hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil in ground cinnamon

BlueTopaz7

Ok, so today is the last day of my whole30. Except, as I was eating my first meal today, I happened to notice that the ingredient label of the cinnamon I have been using this entire time includes hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil! So annoyed. I wouldn't be so worried, but I do use cinnamon frequently. What do you recommend I do? Restart the whole30 again at some point? Or is it possible to do some of the reintroduction first?

• Moderators

You may have experienced less than you otherwise would have because of the trace amounts of soy. You could do reintroductions of everything except soy and get a decent sense of whether you are sensitive to those things you reintroduce.

I would not worry too much about it, but when it is convenient for you, find some purer cinnamon, and try the Whole30 again. :)

All of your hard work was certainly not lost--the only  BIG issue with the cinnamon was the soy and even that was probably a negligible amount (I mean cinnamon isn't greasy and most people don't use more than 1/4 to 1/2 tsp at a time so you weren't getting very much). Gluten, legumes, dairy, sugar, and alcohol can all be reintroduced--I'd even say reintroduce soy at the end just to see if you notice anything as it wouldn't hurt to do a formal reintro of soy to see if you can tolerate a "normal" amount. 

What the heck?  How does cinnamon have soy in it?  What brand?

Don't knock yourself out worrying about it.  Be proud of the accomplishment of completing the Whole30 because you did so with good intentions and were duped by modern manufacturing of hidden ingredients.  We probably have soy oils in our make up and lotions that give us as much exposure but we won't be considering our successes a failure any more than you should do so!

Take out the cinnamon and give another week of strict Whole30 to see if any differences arise?  If not, you are likely A-OK

What benefits have you seen this month?  Do you keep a journal?

Congratulations, by the way!  Not the way you wanted to end your experience, but it seems most of us here feel you are worthy of some praise and kudos for job well done.

Archived