Troubleshooting Veggie intake

Hi all!

As I have shared before, I had weight loss surgery and my stomach has only a 3-4oz capacity.  Obviously this presents problems with following the meal template.

I am currently on Day 14, and doing well!  However, my veggie intake is not where it should be.  For example, my breakfast generally consists of 2 eggs, 1/2 an avocado, and a 1/4 cup of asparagus.  This leaves me at capacity (and depending on the day is too much.)  I will do 2 mini meals between the major meals that are usually a couple of hardboiled eggs + a fat.  Cooked vegetables are much easier for me to eat more of, but a) still not able to get the recommended amount and B) hard to have access to for the work day. 

I was thinking to up my veggie intake I would start blending them and having a "veggie drink" 1x a day.  What are some ideas of recipes I could use?  I was thinking it would look something like...some coconut milk, kale/spinach, and a banana. 

I understand that smoothies are discouraged on the whole30.  I am not using these as a meal replacement, but something supplemental so I can be as compliant as possible with my tiny little tube of a stomach.  

Any ideas are appreciated! 

• Moderators

Your restricted stomach capacity does present special issues. Probably the best adjustment would be to eat 6 meals per day. To make that easier, you might make eat "soup" for one or two meals. Including protein as well as veggies in the soup would be ideal, but it wouldn't be awful if your soup was mostly veggies and fat. My best soup is stolen from Melissa Joulwan - Pressure Cooker Golden Cauliflower Soup: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/11/pressure-cooker-golden-cauliflower-soup/ This includes cauliflower, carrots, onions, coconut milk, chicken broth, and spices. If you added chicken, it would be perfect as a meal. I've made this with cabbage instead of cauliflower and it was pretty good. You could make it with kale, spinach, etc. 

Your restricted stomach capacity does present special issues. Probably the best adjustment would be to eat 6 meals per day. To make that easier, you might make eat "soup" for one or two meals. Including protein as well as veggies in the soup would be ideal, but it wouldn't be awful if your soup was mostly veggies and fat. My best soup is stolen from Melissa Joulwan - Pressure Cooker Golden Cauliflower Soup: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/11/pressure-cooker-golden-cauliflower-soup/ This includes cauliflower, carrots, onions, coconut milk, chicken broth, and spices. If you added chicken, it would be perfect as a meal. I've made this with cabbage instead of cauliflower and it was pretty good. You could make it with kale, spinach, etc. 

do you think this could be adapted for a regular sauce pan? If so, what change would you make? 

• Moderators

do you think this could be adapted for a regular sauce pan? If so, what change would you make? 

Melissa Joulwan's recipe is actually online, here: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/ -- it doesn't use a pressure cooker, so it should give you some idea of how to do it.  Just be sure you cook it long enough for the veggies to all get soft enough to blend well. 

Archived