To Do or Not To Do?

noebaylis

Hi guys! I've been reading a lot about the whole30 program, and I'm really interested in doing it for a few reasons - but I'm fairly concerned about the potential weight loss and I'd like to hear from people who know more about it than me. :) 

Some background: I'm a 24 year old female with gluten intolerance and a whole bunch of medical issues that may or may not be food related. So I'm really interested in identifying what, exactly, makes me feel like crap. But I'm also currently very underweight - I'm 5'7" and 105 lbs, which puts my BMI somewhere around 16. I'm not anorexic! It's just hard to eat when you feel like everything you put in your mouth makes you sick. 

So with that in mind, is it safe to do the whole30? Is it possible to GAIN weight? I know that the program says not to snack - but should I be eating more often? Any other tips or advice for me? 

Thanks! 

• Moderators

You can gain weight doing a Whole30. You will gain weight if you need to gain weight by doing a Whole30 properly. The meal template that we recommend you use as your guide to eating suggests minimum and maximum portion ranges. Basically a serving of protein at each meal that is as big as the palm of your hand (minimum) or two palms worth of protein (maximum. And frankly, if you can eat it and you need the weight, you can eat more than two palm-size portions of protein at a meal. We also encourage you to fill your plate with veggies cooked in generous amounts of healthy fats like ghee, coconut oil, beef tallow, duck fat, etc. 

You should not snack, but if you are hungry you can add a meal. I ate 5 and sometimes 6 meals when I first started Whole30-style eating. Eventually I figured out what to eat at each meal to keep myself satisfied eating three times per day. 

If you exercise, we want you to add a pre-workout meal and a post-workout meal so you would be eating five meals per day on days you exercise. 

With veggies, you should be sure to eat starchy veggies like sweet potato, butternut squash, etc. Most people feel better when they eat some starchy veggies. They also improve your energy levels. 

Here is the meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

So I am in a similar spot and need to limit potential weight loss...would you recommend increasing nuts and avocado as well? As I have to eat lunch at work and we do not have a microwave, getting a serving of (tasty) protein every meal, just isn't as easy.

Thanks for that!

Day 1---feeling overwhelmed but happy to have taken the first step---

So I am in a similar spot and need to limit potential weight loss...would you recommend increasing nuts and avocado as well? As I have to eat lunch at work and we do not have a microwave, getting a serving of (tasty) protein every meal, just isn't as easy.

Thanks for that!

Here is a great article to read on maintaining weight while on a Whole30 http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Thank you!

I wasn't able to locate an article on that issue.

It is very insightful-my current exercise routine is basically limited to running (10k ~3 times a

week). I may want to seriously start rethinking that approach, and introduce (swap for) some more "muscle gaining" workouts, too.

Thanks for that!

for lunch I very often have a mixed salad with a tin of sardines in olive oil! The tins are easy to keep and to carry aroun.

They're good... if you like them! :)

Or mackerel or salmon...

Thanks! I've stocked up on the fish products.

Already got weird looks from the colleagues today...smoked trout and home made salad dressing to go with the shredded carrots, tomatoes and greens (I can luckily buy) from the cafeteria at work, seem to be just a little too odd for them. People gave me the "oh, poor girl" sad face...the next 28 days are going to be sooooo much fun with my colleagues...the bright side: I actually like my food and prefer it over the frozen and preserved food they eat!

Here is a great article to read on maintaining weight while on a Whole30 http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Thank you! That is really helpful, it gives me some ideas on what to look out for. 

Thanks! I've stocked up on the fish products.

Already got weird looks from the colleagues today...smoked trout and home made salad dressing to go with the shredded carrots, tomatoes and greens (I can luckily buy) from the cafeteria at work, seem to be just a little too odd for them. People gave me the "oh, poor girl" sad face...the next 28 days are going to be sooooo much fun with my colleagues...the bright side: I actually like my food and prefer it over the frozen and preserved food they eat!

I get that too - or the infamous "But you're so skinny, you don't need to diet!" They don't know what they're missing out on. :) good luck! 

Thank you! That is really helpful, it gives me some ideas on what to look out for. 

I get that too - or the infamous "But you're so skinny, you don't need to diet!" They don't know what they're missing out on. :) good luck! 

So true - thanks for feeling with me :-)

Archived