Am I eating too much fruit?

Today is Day #12 for me.  I felt a little sluggish over the past few days but that might just be because of the snow storm.  Otherwise, I am feeling pretty normal, no more or less energy than usual.  I have been sticking very closely to the Whole30 diet, cooking 95% of my meals.  I haven't seen any results in my body yet or felt any different.  I am concerned that I might be eating too much fruit.  Fruit was a very regular part of my diet before starting Whole30.  My current diet usually consists of a banana after my eggs in the morning, berries with my lunch, an apple for snack in the afternoon (sometimes with almond butter), and maybe some berries after dinner or post-workout.  I know that Whole30 says to focus more on veggies (which I eat a lot of), but I love eating fruit and it's a really easy snack food for me to have and prepare.  What should I do?

First of all, regarding seeing results yet, remember that it's the Whole30 and not the Whole12.  :) 

Make sure all your meals follow the Whole30 template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat.  Fruit is optional with the recommendation of 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is the size of your fist.  It's also recommended to have fruit only as part of or immediately after a meal - not as a snack, and not as part of pre/post workout fuel.

The need for snacks can be an indication that your earlier meals are not big enough.  Your meals should satiate you for 4-5 hours. If that's not happening right now, play with your portion sizes until you get there.

In the meantime, if you're genuinely hungry in between (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Pre workout fuel is protein and optional fat. Post workout fuel is protein and carb.

Given all that, I would remove your apple snack and berries post-workout.  As long as the meal 1 banana and meal 2 berries aren't taking the place of vegetables (they're an addition to), you're fine.

If you would like to post 2-3 days of your food log, folks here can give you additional input on possible tweaks to be sure you're consistent with the Whole30 best practices.

Thank you for the feedback!  I really appreciate it.  I find that I am fairly satisfied after each of my meals, which is why I generally don't eat more at the time.  But 3-4 hours later I am hungry again, and in the afternoon/evening it's usually before I go to the gym, which is why I eat the apple.  However, I will see what I can do about portion sizes and switching to protein.

Here is a 2-day log of my meals:

Day 1 breakfast: 1 egg fried with sweet potato hash, 1 banana

Day 1 lunch: leftover curry chicken stir-fry (about 1 chicken breast, half a pepper, 1/4 onion), 1 cup berries

Day 1 snack: apple

Day 1 dinner: 6 oz sock-eye salmon filet with sauteed spinach and tomatoes

Day 1 snack: 1/2 cup blueberries

Day 2 breakfast: 2 hard-boiled eggs with 1/2 mashed avocado, 1 banana

Day 2 lunch: no-bean turkey and sweet potato chili (about 2 cups), 1 cup berries

Day 2 snack: apple

Day 2 dinner: ground beef tomato ragu with spaghetti squash (1-2 servings)

Day 2 snack: 1/2 cup raspberries

I generally workout 5-6 days per week, doing both cardio and strength training.  Any feedback/advice would be appreciated!

Your breakfasts, in particular, don't quite fit the template. A serving of eggs = how many eggs fit in your hand. For most people, I think that's about 3-4. Also, what's the fat in your breakfast. I know that for me, an insufficient breakfast sets me up for a whole day of feeling snacky. (Ha ha - spell check changed snacky to snarky - not necessarily wrong in this case!). In fact, all your meals seem light on the fat. My suggestion - trust the template.

As a follow-up, I have increased the amount of protein that I am eating at every meal so that it fits 1-2 palm sizes and have added more fats (avocado and coconut butter), as per the template.  I've also cut back on fruit intake and have stopped snacking, except for my pre-workout meal.  I am not really hungry between meals and can definitely last comfortably 4-5 hours, which is a big change for me.  (I feel like I am finally doing this right, albeit on day 16.)  That being said, I am feeling almost too full after every meal, especially lunch and dinner.  It seems like a silly question, but should I stop when I am satiated?  Or try to continue to eat a little more so that I stay fuller longer?  My body is so used to eating so much less per meal that I'm wondering if it's having trouble adjusting, or if I'm just making too much food.  Advice please!

Hello there I am new and I start tomorrow!! my biggest question is whats the best pre-WO  and post-WO meal I am normally on the go and i teach zumba 2xs per day plus i crossfit 4-6 days per week (many of my workout peers do PALEO how ever pre and post meals have sugar) I am so use to drinking premade protein meals or eating fruit before and after WO , not sure what to do now . PLEASE HELP and wish me luck.

THANK YOU

As a follow-up, I have increased the amount of protein that I am eating at every meal so that it fits 1-2 palm sizes and have added more fats (avocado and coconut butter), as per the template.  I've also cut back on fruit intake and have stopped snacking, except for my pre-workout meal.  I am not really hungry between meals and can definitely last comfortably 4-5 hours, which is a big change for me.  (I feel like I am finally doing this right, albeit on day 16.)  That being said, I am feeling almost too full after every meal, especially lunch and dinner.  It seems like a silly question, but should I stop when I am satiated?  Or try to continue to eat a little more so that I stay fuller longer?  My body is so used to eating so much less per meal that I'm wondering if it's having trouble adjusting, or if I'm just making too much food.  Advice please!

Stop when you feel satiated.

Archived