Onward towards heatlh (I sincerely hope)

Coffee

Yesterday was my last day of my W45 as I started January 1st.  I am now down another 2 pounds (10 from the 30) and my belching issues after eating are finally starting to simmer down.  I'm also feeling much better than I have in quite some time which is why I did the Whole30 in the first place.  I did cut out nightshades for the last week of the 30 and for my next 2 weeks of the 45 which may have had something to do with the gastric issues.  I do plan to reintroduce those as their own item in my re-intro period.

Today I will introduce soy.  I'm trying that one first since it is so ubiquitous in food products.  Breakfast is a sweet potato, compliant sausage, a little ghee and some wheat free tamari sauce.  I'm also having a square of Lindt's 85% dark chocolate that has soy lecithin in it.  I'll try some more tamari in my lunch today.  I also plan to have some tea with soy in it too.  I'm still thinking of what else I can eat with soy in it today that I would want to eat later, but right now I can't think of anything.  Soy milk & tofu doesn't appeal to me right now and I sincerely doubt I would have soy milk again since I was having issues it with it before the w30. 

I actually have my re-intro planned out so I will need to pick up some cheese in the next few days.  Right now I have the following:

2/15 - Soy

2/18 - Dairy

2/21 - Wine (and beer)

2/24 - Nightshades

2/27 - Eggs (I actually haven't eaten them for a year since I had one of the allergy tests done.  However I saw on these boards that the test I had done was known for false results and inconsistencies so I hope to add eggs back in)

Had a wrench in the works so dates are revised:

3/3 - Rice & corn (I want to separate those since they are the only two non-gluten grains I really would add back in)

3/6 - Other non-gluten grains

3/9 - Wheat & gluten grains

3/12 - Anything I wanted to double check

3/14 Is my Birthday so I will take what I've learned from the reintroduction phase and make informed choices for enjoying some of my favorite foods.

3/15 - 3/16 will be compliant W30 and then I plan to transition to the Paleo type of diet.

Edited 3/2

So just before I finished meal 1 my stomach started to ache.  Not a sharp pain but dull ache and it continued for about a half hour.  Meal two I took a digestive enzyme with it and there was a dull ache again but much less noticeable and it went away fairly quickly.  I also had belching after both meals with the first being worse. 

As of right now it doesn't seem like soy, or at least the kind of soy I would eat, has a very adverse effect on me.

ETA: Update is I now have a welt below my left eye.  I'm not sure if that is from the soy or a very delayed reaction to the massage table head rest. 

Mom2A&M That's a great idea since ISWF was also talking about how a protein in the white can be a trigger for IBS.  I think I'll do the whole egg first and then, if I'm having issues, I'll add in another day of re-intro with just the yolk and see how it goes.

I wound up not actually having a third meal last night.  I went to a Bellydance Revue that one of our favorite community members was holding and just was not hungry either before or after.  I did, however, have a gin & tonic at the event which really had no discernible effect on me.  But gin and I have always gotten along since I sober up quickly on it and have never had a hangover if that's the only thing I drink. 

I did have a couple of Godiva dark chocolate truffles which I found really disappointing.  They were simply way too sweet for me and made me feel a bit lethargic.  It doesn't really surprise me since I haven't been a fan of sweet things for some time and removing all sugar for the past 45 days has really made me sensitive to it.

So today and tomorrow are my clean eating days with no non-compliant foods.  I have a pork loin in the crock pot and have already cooked up squash and will soon have ground beef.

It was interesting to note that my right foot started to swell a bit late in the day yesterday.  That's one of the weird things that I was trying to alleviate with the W30.  I'm wondering if it was the soy, sugar, alcohol or all three that did it?

Otherwise, I'm not seeing any other effects.  Tomorrow is my dairy day and I picked up some cheddar and some goat cheese at Trader Joe's today.  I'll also try a little grass fed butter in one of my meals or maybe in my morning coffee.  I contemplated yogurt but decided I really don't eat it enough to reintroduce it at this point.  I may get some ice cream tomorrow too, but right now it doesn't appeal to me.

So today was dairy and I started with some butter in my coffee.  My stomached ached a bit and I got pretty urpy.  Then I had some cheddar on my compliant sausage and sauerkraut for breakfast.  I didn't feel much in the way of stomach pain but I did start to get a bit foggy about an hour after eating.  Lunch I had goat cheese on my pork loin and veggie mash.  No discernible stomach issues  but the foggy feeling did start to go towards sleepy before the my 10 hour work day was done.

I just had some more cheddar on my "taco" salad for dinner along with some of the goat cheese wrapped in prosciutto.  Right now my stomach feels a little achy and I really would like nothing more than to crawl into bed.  It'll be interesting to see how I actually sleep tonight.

Oh, I almost forgot that I got what felt like a hot flash after eating breakfast as well.  I hadn't had one of them in quite some time so I have to wonder if the butter and cheese brought it on.  However, I did not have any more after that.

So two more compliant days and then I try out wine on Friday.

I had no other noticeable effects from dairy except for maybe a small increase in mucus in my sinuses.  The day of my reintroduction I felt very tired by the end of it and I went to bed a bit earlier than usual.  I did sleep well until my cat woke me up at about 3:00am and then had trouble getting back to sleep until I got up at 5:30am.

The two compliant days were uneventful except for me giving into my minor cravings on the second day after a hard time at work and having a square of dark chocolate w/o any soy.  My wine introduction day started with compliant sausage and sweet potatoes and then I went to the bank and some shopping.  I planned to have meal 2 at I Love Burgers and get get a glass of wine there.  However, I was thwarted by the fact the one I went to did not have wine.  I then decided that I would reintroduce beer instead of wine and then have another one at my dinner meeting. 

Nothing raised a red flag after the beer but I am pretty certain I may have been lied to about the sweet potato fries not having any coating.  I didn't feel bad but I didn't finish them just to be on the safe side.  I walked around and did a little shopping and then went to meet my group at Brio.  Unfortunately the patio bar at Brio was packed due to the nicer weather so we decided to go the Double Helix, a wine and whiskey bar.  I think you can see where I'm going here.  Their happy hour menu was great but their beer selection was eh.  So I had white wine.  I also had a few deep fried olives which had some kind of non-wheat crust on them and a compliant roasted Brussels sprout salad.

I did not feel any distress (except for getting full from the salad) and I went to bed and feel asleep quickly once I got home.  I did have really weird dreams and it felt like my heart was on overtime during the night when I woke up for some water.  I was also stuffed up during the night but that has seemed to cleared up this morning.  So, as of right now, it doesn't appear that beer and/or wine are great for me but they aren't horrible.  Considering I have maybe a glass or two in a month during the summer except for when I'm at events or going out to eat, it sounds like I just need to be aware and maybe cut back at places where I might have two glasses instead of one.

I felt a little draggy all day yesterday so I can add that to the wine/beer effects.  I don't know if I was actually having a physical reaction or a psychological reaction last night but I had the remaining Godiva truffles along with prosciutto and the remaining goat cheese for my last meal of the day.  I think it was manifestation of the stress I'm under right now at home and it was some comfort eating.  Basically my STBX and I decided to divorce in December but he's still here since he can't move until the company he's working for gives him a firm offer.  They've been slow on that and changing things and I, well both of us actually, just want to be done.  I'm doing the best I can to just roll with it but lord I would like him gone.

Alright, nightshades are consumed and so far I haven't had any issues.  I had chocolate chili for breakfast, a Chipolte salad with the fajita veggies and salsa for lunch (yes, I know the fajita veggies were cooked in rice bran oil but I figured it wouldn't skew the results too much).  I just finished another chocolate chili for dinner and then had a pear.  After each meal I was a little burp-y but that's something that hasn't changed since day one.  Otherwise, I feel fine and so does my stomach.  The last time I had the chili though (and this is the same batch it was just frozen) I had some lower abdominal pain the day after and some loose stools so I'll have to see if that happens tomorrow.

You are doing an amazing job with the re-intro!  It makes me wish I had done so and it makes me want to do another Whole30 so that I can do so, but I doubt I'd be so good.  It's interesting how subtle the reactions can be and how hard to know if they are related to the foods or other things, like massage tables.  You mentioned feeling a little extra mucous after your dairy day and that reminded me of why I really need to focus on moderation.  A bit of goat cheese here and there or some butter in a dish is okay, but more than a couple meals with it and I'm setting myself up for a bigger reaction.  

I read that some people don't react to duck eggs the way they react to chicken eggs.  I even have a friend who claims this is true for her.  I have no idea if it's true or not, but I've begun buying duck eggs, and once I got over how big and gross the yolks looked, I found I really prefer them.  

Good luck moving forward with your re-intros.  It's fun to read about.

Thanks, Emma, it certainly hasn't been without it's challenges.  I did pick up some eggs from a local CSA here for tomorrow but I'd probably have to make a trip to an Asian market to get duck eggs.  May be something to look into if the chicken eggs don't go well.

In regards to the nightshades, I did have some cramping and not so fun bathroom time about 13 hours after I ate breakfast.  So it looks like I need to really limit my nightshade exposure since a a big bowl of tomatoes, chili powder, and paprika certainly gives me issues.  I figure I'll give a small amount (a slice of tomato, a sprinkle of paprika, or some cooked peppers) once a day at the most a try once I've finished reintroductions and see how that goes. 

I also had quite a bit of mucus production in my sinuses that night and wound up sleeping in the next morning since my head was foggy and I was just so tired.  However, I have a feeling part of that may very well be me fighting off a cold that's been threatening to break for a couple of weeks now.  I did take a multivitamin and a couple of other supplements along with eating some citrus fruit today and it seems to be helping. 

Egg day!  I had a three egg spinach and avocado omelet for breakfast.  It was good but I found myself getting hungry earlier than when I normally do after a compliant breakfast.  It may have been I did not have have a lot of spinach in it.  Otherwise I didn't notice any issues with my stomach or any other physical issues.

Lunch I did not have anything with eggs in it, but for dinner I made mayo using one egg and a cup of light tasting olive oil.  I used the part of the mayo to make a chicken salad that I topped a baked sweet potato with and put the rest in the fridge.  I just finish dinner and my stomach is feeling a little full and bit achy.  I'm wondering if it was the amount of oil or if a raw egg is affecting it in a way that the cooked eggs did not. 

Well I threw a self-made wrench in the works on Friday so I'm pushing things out a day which will have Monday as my rice & corn day.  I was feeling antsy on Friday and decided to head out to the strip and walk-around.  Since I have a Diamond card for a yearly event and it's good until the end of March I did partake in some alcohol at the Diamond Lounges.  While I ate as closely to compliant as I could (I'm sure there was sugar and probably soy in my salad dressing) at the first one, I was so hungry when I stopped at the first one that I had some wheat in one of the dishes.  Hence the the pushing out a day so that today and tomorrow are both compliant days.

I also tried some of the leftover mayo for breakfast yesterday to see if I had any reaction.  Unfortunately I had an aching stomach again after eating part of my meal so it looks like the raw egg does not agree with me.  I do plan on doing an Aioli with only egg yolks to test if it was perhaps the whites that were giving me issues.  I also want to get some avocado oil and see if perhaps it was the light olive oil that is the issue as well.

It's so hard isn't it to determine if it's the food, a delayed reaction, a cold....the list goes on.  Sounds like you're doing a good job noticing and recording.  Bummer that you can't binge on nightshades! :) 

Yep, if it isn't an immediate reaction like my stomach aching then it is a bit difficult sometimes to figure out if it's the food or if it is something non-food.  I am a little sad about the nightshades but I want to feel better so limiting them will just have to be done.

I have a pork shoulder in the crockpot with some carrots and parsnips which I'll top over rice for tomorrow's lunch.  I was waffling between having one of my previously favorite breakfasts which is a fried egg over rice or keeping it clean except for the rice.  I'm going to wait on the egg since I really really want to know if rice is an OK food or not and I don't want that messed with even though cooked eggs didn't seem to give me any issues. I figure I'll stop on the way home and pick up some corn chips (as long as I can find one without bad oil) and have them for dinner. 

I had rice, chicken and greens for breakfast and then pork shoulder, rice, and root veggies for lunch.  I forgot to throw my avocado into both of those in the morning so I was missing fat.  The breakfast was fine and I actually didn't eat all of the rice.  I stayed full until noon and then had my lunch.  What I notice about the lunch was that the rice was really bland and I was kind of annoyed that I didn't have more tasty veggies in it.

While I didn't feel any stomach distress withe either meal, it's now almost 4:00 here and I am really tired.  I haven't felt this tired at this time for some time since I was doing the W30.  I'm guessing while rice may not have a digestive issue for me, it certainly is having an effect on my energy level.

I'm stopping on the way home to get some corn chips and we'll see how that affects me.

I picked up the corn chips and had a taco salad with beef, olives, and avocado.  It was good but man, those chips were salty.  I mean almost burn your mouth salty so I do not plan on having any more.  Before the W30 I would have snacked on them with some melted cheese.  Right now that does not sound good at all.  

I didn't feel any gastric distress but now my right foot is feeling like it's starting to swell again.  I'm also still pretty tired and my sinus started draining on my way home from work.  So as of right now it looks like more than about a half cup of rice starts to affect my energy levels and sinuses.  I'm not sure if it's the rice or chips that's making my foot swell.  Considering that I didn't feel it either at breakfast or lunch, it may very well be the chips.

I felt a little draggy all day yesterday so I can add that to the wine/beer effects.  I don't know if I was actually having a physical reaction or a psychological reaction last night but I had the remaining Godiva truffles along with prosciutto and the remaining goat cheese for my last meal of the day.  I think it was manifestation of the stress I'm under right now at home and it was some comfort eating.  Basically my STBX and I decided to divorce in December but he's still here since he can't move until the company he's working for gives him a firm offer.  They've been slow on that and changing things and I, well both of us actually, just want to be done.  I'm doing the best I can to just roll with it but lord I would like him gone.

I noticed that you did a reintro of wine and beer but are doing a reintro of gluten later on. Are your drinking gluten free beer? I would say you should introduce gluten free beer on your gluten free grain intro days and regular beer on your gluten intro days. Or one or the other if you only plan on drinking one kind. Also remember that your body can react to gluten free grains the same way it reacts to gluten grains. You might want to see if you have this same reaction when you reintroduce gluten. Hang in there with the stresses in your life. This too shall pass!

I picked up the corn chips and had a taco salad with beef, olives, and avocado.  It was good but man, those chips were salty.  I mean almost burn your mouth salty so I do not plan on having any more.  Before the W30 I would have snacked on them with some melted cheese.  Right now that does not sound good at all.  

I didn't feel any gastric distress but now my right foot is feeling like it's starting to swell again.  I'm also still pretty tired and my sinus started draining on my way home from work.  So as of right now it looks like more than about a half cup of rice starts to affect my energy levels and sinuses.  I'm not sure if it's the rice or chips that's making my foot swell.  Considering that I didn't feel it either at breakfast or lunch, it may very well be the chips.

I think I am having trouble with corn chips as well. I had some yesterday and I didn't sleep well at all last night. I am trying to pinpoint things that give me restless sleep so I can stop eating them. I also had rice so it could be that as well.

I did not drink gluten free beer and that was intentional.  I have a theory that fermented products work much better with my gut than their non-fermented counterparts.  Gluten free beer being a bit of a pain to find, I have no plans on doing an introduction for it.  I was really looking to see how alcohol would affect me.

I did sleep well last night but woke up groggy and with my eyes all puffy.  On the other had my foot wasn't swollen so there's that at least.  Right now it's looking like I can do minimal amounts of rice but that corn, or at the very least corn chips, is mostly out.

Today is compliant W30 and I'm thinking about what to do tomorrow.  I figure I'll either stop at McDonald's or Fourbucks in the morning and get an oatmeal.  I just need to review all their ingredients online to see which one would work best.  As for lunch and dinner, I am really drawing a blank.  I don't want to go and buy a whole loaf of gluten free bread but I may have to.  I have to say that neither of these is actually appealing to me at all but I do want to see what my reaction to them would be, otherwise I'd just skip them.

In happier news, I will be going on a 7 day Italy/Spain cruise in July.  It is port intensive and I am going to have to get my rear in gear to start walking so that I can pack as much as possible into those days.  It will be my first time in Europe so I'm doing all my research on the internet travel sites (cruise critic, trip advisor, etc.) and I'll be picking up a few books at the library.  I may do a June Whole 30 as well but I'll see how riding my own bike goes for March and April before I decide that.

If you can make some oatmeal at home that would be better. I guarantee that the oatmeal at McDonald's and Starbucks (Fourbucks...love it!) is gluten contaminated. With oats as a gluten free grain you must make sure that the packaging says gluten free as it is often contaminated in processing.

Your cruise sounds lovely! That is one that I've always wanted to do. Can't wait to hear about it!

Oh I am so excited for the cruise I'm sure I'll be posting all about what I did and ate.  Maybe not too much here but definitly over at Cruise Critic.

You have an excellent point about the gluten contamination.  McDonalds was out since they had a whole bunch of additives but even though Starbucks doesn't have that, it is not certified as being gluten free.  But the sad canister of oatmeal I have in my pantry at home isn't certified to be gluten free either so I'd need to pick up one that is.  Ugh.

At same time, I suppose I should be trying out what I would be eating and I wouldn't be looking for completely gluten free oatmeal.  Ugh.  I guess I could just skip the oatmeal and do gluten free bread for all three meals then have the oatmeal as part of my gluten day.  Yeah, I do believe I will do that.

Archived