Trying to Save my Life for my 2 Year Old

Tyson Knopp

Well, I've read It Starts with Food, and I'm ready to try. It seems a bit confusing, but I think it is a lifestyle change I am ready to make. I am tired of making such horrible decisions, and if I don't do something, I will pass along my habits and lifestyle to my son, who is almost 2. I don't want him to have to go through the pain, suffering, and humiliation that I've endured my entire life. I am 400 pounds with a 66" waistline. I can't even run and play with my son. I have tried "diets," and it just didn't work. Maybe because diets just don't work. I want a new me. I want a new life. I envision myself running and playing with my son. I want him to be proud of me. I've drafted my wife into the new lifestyle because I don't think I can do this alone. I am 27 years old, but I feel like I am 40. My hopes for this lifestyle are so high, and I know I can do this. A 27 years worth of bad habits and unhealthy lifestyle end right now, at this very moment. If I can't do this, then my child will lose his father at an early age, and I cannot let that happen. Cheers to all that read this. Wish me luck.

Tyson... you CAN do it! You are so right - diets just don't work! I made a complete lifestyle change about a year and a half ago and have lost 90 lbs. If you look at my profile picture that is me currently "wearing" my wedding dress - it is 12 dress sizes larger than I am now. I tell you that only because I want you to know that your ultimate goal is achievable. Right now, just focus on being a better version of yourself every day - every choice you make, and they are all choices, will lead you to a healthier and more enjoyable lifestyle!

I am so looking forward to you joining in on the Whole30 challenge! It is tough but it is doable! Just remember that you want to be healthy for your son, for you, for your wife. Utilize every outlet you can to help keep you on track! It is also so great that your wife has joined this journey with you - it's so important to have support at home.

I am so excited for you, Tyson! It's a hard road but one that is so so worth it! I won't wish you luck because you don't need luck - you just need a little resolve :) Congratulations on making this big decision!

Tyson, what are you finding confusing?

Eat real food, the less processed, the better. No alcohol, sugar (of any kind, real or artificial), dairy, legumes (beans including peanuts), or grains (this includes corn). Eat vegetables and meat, and a little fruit.

There are more fine tweaks to add to that, but in the beginning just start with the basics. I'll repeat Ann—you CAN do this!

Your son is going to LOVE playing and running with you!

***Edited to add... I forgot FAT! PhannieMae (below) reminded me: Eat Good Fats! Fats are important! Avocado, olive oil, coconut oil or butter, fats from grass-fed meats.

You've made the first step! You can do it! The cravings in the beginning will be fierce for you but work thought them by visiting the forums or talking to your son (I know he's little but looking into his face will remind you why you are doing this.) All the best to you! Xoxo

My advice: don't be afraid of fat! Eating a high ratio of fat will keep you full and help kill cravings.

I stocked up on pemmican. Ok, it was gross at first bc its basically a bar of fat and jerky, but now I'm totally hooked and think that it is essentially for me to stay on track.

Your family can do this!

You can definitely do this Tyson! We are all here for each other. Everyone has different issues and challenges, together we can support each other and work through them. I have high hopes for my Whole30 too. We can do this and live a healthier life!

Go for it!

-Megan

Hi Tyson -- I was very touched by your post. I have suffered with weight issues alllll my life until I discovered the primal/paleo movement at age 60, so I do understand how miserable you must feel up to this point. The shedding of my emotional baggage around size and self was just as rewarding as losing the pounds. It CAN be done!

I think you are right to consider your commitment to change in relation to living to play/grow with your son. The coming month(s) will have many hard choices for you to make, but do keep foremost in your mind that image of you running around with your dear boy. I recently read about an Olympic diver who had some food issues who finally boiled it down for himself to one question: ice cream or gold medal? When you're willing to commit to a goal more important than a piece of pie, you are on your way. I will be cheering for you!

Kudos to you for wanting to be healthy. Make a list of all you will GAIN by doing this might be helpful on a day when your motivation is low. You are worth every bit of effort required to do this. It's awesome to want to do it for your son. But even if you were not a parent you deserve to do it for YOU. I recently saw a video on YouTube. I think it was called my 120 lb journey. Very inspiring about someone like you. This young man decided enough was enough and got himself healthy enough to do an IRONMAN. Don't sell yourself short. Just take it one day at a time and KEEP GOING. You CAN do this!.

Tyson, you're in the right place (in case you haven't noticed by now)! I think the most beneficial thing you can do, especially starting out, is to start a log. You might even want to do a log with others (if you need a buddy, I'll volunteer!). That's worked the best for me and I think a lot of people here.

I hope you ask all the questions you might have and keep trying at it, well beyond the first 30 days. It took me about 10 months of practice (i.e. eating well one week, eating like crap the next and going right back to it every time) to finally get to a place where this is just my lifestyle. But I did it and now I feel like a totally new, profoundly better person. I'm sure you'll find that too, just keep at it!

You can do it even if you just do it "mostly" at first. I've never been able to eat totally clean for more than a couple of weeks but I still lost 45 pounds the first year of "mostly" eating this way. Eventually you'll get to where you can do a Whole 30; the trick is to see yourself getting closer to that time until you finally get there. Be kind to yourself while doing this and you will get there.

Buying the book Well Fed recently was one of the best things I did because Mel taught me how to batch cook on one day so I can just assemble something every time I get hungry. It's great to be able to go into the kitchen and pick some already cleaned/cut/maybe roasted vegetables and precooked meat and premixed sauces/flavorings to go with it. I can now assemble healthful meals faster than I can fetch junk food!

This is why I LOVE this site. I'm so moved, and not just because of Tyson's touching first post, but because of the care and the support that pours out of the the rest of the thread... You guys are all so amazing... and Tyson, I wish you much success with The Whole30. I hope that you will find that it's the best choice you've ever made!

Archived