German restaurant help!

greenwaypress

http://www.halloberlinrestaurant.com/hb44th10th.htm

This is the place I'm going on a triple date tomorrow. Heellllllp I don't know German food. Already emailed to see what's gluten/dairy/sugar free so hopefully they'll reply, but who knows. I don't want to be annoying and I would like to actually eat since I can't drink.

Thanks friends

German food is not necessarily "paleo-friendly". Sausages usually contain all kinds of seasonings that also contain gluten and or sugar. The herrings are often marinated in liquid containing sugar. -> I'd stay away from the fish and sausage dishes.

Anything with gravy may be difficult as well, as they usually add flour or corn/potato starch to thicken it. This basically takes the whole lunch/dinner menu off your choices. You may be able to have the sauerkraut or the cabbage. Depending on how they prepare them, the string bean and cucumber salads as well. 

I live in Germany and usually end up eating green salad (no dressing) and grilled meats. All of my restaurant orders start with: "I have a question..."

Germans love their grain-based sides and (starchy) gravies...

Hope that helps

http://www.halloberlinrestaurant.com/hb44th10th.htm

This is the place I'm going on a triple date tomorrow. Heellllllp I don't know German food. Already emailed to see what's gluten/dairy/sugar free so hopefully they'll reply, but who knows. I don't want to be annoying and I would like to actually eat since I can't drink.

Thanks friends

Some restaurants are just really not meant for Whole30, and unfortunately that looks like one of them.  It can also be difficult to communicate all of your restrictions to a restaurant that isn't really designed to accommodate them.  Steakhouses are use to these types of special requests where as European restaurants might not be.  Maybe they can do plain grilled chicken for you and some veggies?  You'd just have to check on the oils...

I've never been to Germany, however i am aware of a restuarant called Sauvage.

http://sauvageberlin.com/en/

"Sauvage restaurants are the first Paleo restaurants in the whole world. The original Sauvage opened her doors in May 2011 and started a food revolution supported by a global movement. After two years of hard work and innovation, our small and cozy restaurant with great ambitions has an elegant new sister in Prenzlauer Berg where we continue to explore the possibilities of delicious cuisine and perfect nutrition. On both locations we cook completely Paleo: free of grains, gluten, refined sugar, dairy or vegetable oils. All natural. Like humans did for millions of years."

Just went to Sauvage last weekend it was amzing but very expensive. Germans do not eat paleo friendly at all. They love their breads,pastas, and breaded foods covered in gravyand they do not uderstand when you want to change something or why you don't want to eat potatoes. The best thing you could eat at a German resturant is a steak and a salad  :)

Archived