Help with my mountain of food intolerances

Emma C.

Do you ever feel like the number of foods you can eat is ridiculously limited? 

I did my first whole 30 in August of last year. That was after failing miserably in June and July. But I learned some really important things during those 2 months. I learned that these foods trigger feelings of fatigue, anxiety, bloating, and cravings:

- Eggs

- Coconut milk/meat

- Onions

- Garlic

- Leeks

- Sweet potatoes

- Nuts/seeds

At first I tried the autoimmune paleo regimen. And that helped. But I could tell that there were still foods I was eating that I shouldn't be. Eventually I got rid of the alliums (onion, garlic, etc.) and that seemed to do the trick.

I ate like that for about 3 months. It was wonderful to finally feel good. But it's SO hard to live on such a limited menu -- especially when you travel. So I started adding in foods again. I thought I was doing ok until December came and I completely fell apart. By then I had added just about everything back in. I must have done it too quickly. Now I'm back to square one -- on my really limited diet.

So I guess I'm posting this for these reasons:

• To see if there is anyone else out there who has lots of food intolerances who might be able to lend a cyber-shoulder for me to lean on.
  • To elicit any suggestions everyone has about how long to stick to my limited diet before trying to add in foods again (and how I might start doing that when the time comes)

Hi Emma! I am also AIP/Low Foodmap which means I am now avoiding:

Wheat/Grains

Legumes

Dairy

Nightshades

Eggs

Onions/Garlic/Brocolli

Apples/Pears/Peaches

Cherries

Most greens (kale, lettuce, raw spinach)

I've recently added in these FODMAPS with moderation:

Avocado

Cauliflower

Cabbage

Berries

It's tough, but I have to admit I feel better than I ever have. I have Chron's and was facing going on immunosuppresent drugs but thought I'd try controlling my diet first and I've resolved most of my digestive issues.

I would wait until you feel really great and then add stuff in in moderation. For instance, I can't use garlic cloves, even cooked, but if I add a bit of garlic powder for flavor, it doesn't bother me. Onions and Broccoli are still out unfortunately. Depending on how bad your symptoms were I'd wait 90 days. And then add one item at a time and wait 3 days to see your reaction. Also if you are eating healthier food, you will feel better and it will help you to heal. Bone broth is great for healing. I make mine with just carrots and celery (no onions or garlic) and it is just as good.

I sympathize with the coconut and sweet potatoes. I use them a lot. You may want to try butternut squash to replace the sweet potatoes. I should mention that most of my issues were digestive, but I am also on medication for anxiety (Zoloft) and that has helped me a lot. I may try to wean myself off of that as I get healthier, but not right now.

Do you ever feel like the number of foods you can eat is ridiculously limited? 

I did my first whole 30 in August of last year. That was after failing miserably in June and July. But I learned some really important things during those 2 months. I learned that these foods trigger feelings of fatigue, anxiety, bloating, and cravings:

- Eggs

- Coconut milk/meat

- Onions

- Garlic

- Leeks

- Sweet potatoes

- Nuts/seeds

At first I tried the autoimmune paleo regimen. And that helped. But I could tell that there were still foods I was eating that I shouldn't be. Eventually I got rid of the alliums (onion, garlic, etc.) and that seemed to do the trick.

I ate like that for about 3 months. It was wonderful to finally feel good. But it's SO hard to live on such a limited menu -- especially when you travel. So I started adding in foods again. I thought I was doing ok until December came and I completely fell apart. By then I had added just about everything back in. I must have done it too quickly. Now I'm back to square one -- on my really limited diet.

So I guess I'm posting this for these reasons:

• To see if there is anyone else out there who has lots of food intolerances who might be able to lend a cyber-shoulder for me to lean on.
  • To elicit any suggestions everyone has about how long to stick to my limited diet before trying to add in foods again (and how I might start doing that when the time comes)

If you haven't tried the low FODMAP diet you might want to give it a try. It is not as restrictive as the Auto Immune protocol. Also you could have some histamine issues (egg whites, tomatoes, spinach, bacon, coffee, tea). You might want to try the low histamine diet and see if that works for you. I am in the same boat. I personally think that it is because we increase our consumption of Avocado and Coconut on the Whole30. Avocado can trigger a histamine response and Coconut can trigger a FODMAP response so it is hard to tell what protocol might be more helpful. Here are the shopping list links if you need them. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List-FODMAP.pdf. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List-Histamine.pdf.

Archived