beef broth

lizzie_s

You only need to make it a few times a year and bottle and freeze it to use in soups and stews. I just used both of our crockpots and made one dozen jars (16 0z each) of grass fed beef stock. That will last me 3 months at least.

I have not been able to find a good source of store bought beef broth.  I prefer grassfed bones to make the stock from (shocker huh?  :) ).  The reason is kind of unscientific though.  I feel like broth concentrates what the animal has been fed and the healthier the animal, the better the stock it produces.  Whether that is true, I don't know, but it would be interesting to see if there was a study done.

When I have bones, I sell them for $3 a pound.  I have customers that will buy 10-20 pounds and do what Bet mentions above...make up a bunch of it.  Stock isn't cheap in the store, so it probably comes out about the same or cheaper to make your own even if you have to buy the bones.

I'm also a crock-pot, grassfed, mostly leftover bones, broth-making kind of girl.  I do lamb and beef together and poultry in another pot.  When it is made, I put most of it into ice cube trays because I can add one ice cube to something or a bunch.  When my cubes are full, I move to smaller jars and containers.  If I can't fit it all, I make a soup or stew in a few days with what is left.

The stuff is amazing.  It has more flavor than the best soup or stew I have ever had.  One cube is probably worth a cup of the store-bought stuff.

Beef is hard to find because there is almost always color added.  Chicken is possible, but I don't remember the brands as  it has been about a year since I needed it.

I did read an article on Chris Kresser's site about how chicken stock made with factory farmed chicken was high in arsenic and other harmful things. Because you are cooking the bones for an extended time a lot of things leech out of the bones. I would definitely do grass fed beef bones and pasture raised chickens.

http://chriskresser.com/why-grass-fed-is-best-part-ii

I just found some organic chicken stock at Costco that is compliant.  Can't remember the brand.  Didn't buy any, just made a mental note that it's there.  I make beef stock much more often than chicken.  I freeze it in ice cube trays then transfer the cubes into ziploc bags.  Each cube is close to an ounce, so it's really easy to take out only what I need for a recipe.

I have just started on my Whole30 and am finding that gathering up compliant food items, other than fresh vegetables, can be quite challenging. Since I don't see myself making any homemade beef stock I had to search out an alternative. What I ended up with is Meijer Naturals Beef Flavor Stock which is all natural, gluten free and no artificial preservatives. It contains beef stock, veal stock, sea salt, mirepox stock, spices. So, if you are like me and don't see yourself making your own stock and you live in a part of the country that has Meijer's stores you might want to try it.

Archived