We thought of that first!

Vian

Normally when I'm home and there's nothing I'd rather watch on TV, I throw it on food network. Sometimes I'll see a recipe that looks good and can be modified to be paleo.

Well today, Rachel Ray's new show "Three In the Bag" features "gluten free" meals. She's making papardelle pasta with basically zucchini ribbons, using a veg peeler to slice thin ribbons from the zucchini. I'm like "I've been doing that for months now to carrots!" I wonder if paleo people invented vegetable noodles? Probably not, but it's interesting to see a food network chef use a paleo staple to replace noodles rather than reach for some gluten-free packaged pasta instead.

I take a plain vegetable peeler and run it down one side of the carrot over and over, making wide, flat ribbons, until I'm about half way through the carrot, then I flip it over and do the same on the other side until there's not much left of the carrot. Then I usually just sautee in fat and seasonings until they're soft. I did the same thing with zucchini the other day, only instead of just doing one side, then the other, I rotated the zucchini around every pass so that I got like 5-6 sides on it and kept slicing off another layer until I got to the seedy part. Usually I use a julienne peeler on the zucchini to get thin spaghetti zoodles, but the wider ribbon ones are nice too. I think the carrots would need a little more time to cook though.

Archived