Whole 30 compliant fish sauce - not red boat

LaraG

Hi everyone!

I live in Canada and am having a hard time finding the right kind of fish sauce. I just can't justify the shipping cost of Red Boat fish sauce (never mind the fact that it is about 500% more expensive than traditional sauce in the grocery store), and so I was wondering if anyone knew of a different brand that is both compliant and available in Canada? Failing that, is there a substitute for fish sauce? The one I have in my fridge has a small amount of sugar, which will be fine to use AFTER I finish my whole 30 next month :)

Thanks!

• Moderators

I could swear I saw somewhere that you can use smashed up anchovies instead of fish sauce, but now I can't remember the website where I saw that, and a google search is not helping -- most of the general, non-paleo questions are people looking for vegetarian substitutes or non-fish substitutes because of allergies, and the suggestions usually involve soy sauce, which is not helpful for Whole30 purposes.

I think I used smashed up anchovies and a touch of vinegar.  Seems like it was a recipe for meatballs...Johnny's maybe.  Doesn't seem as though the recipe would have missed it.

Thank you for the suggestions. For my meatballs (nom nom paleo's asian meatballs), I ended up just omitting it altogether. My husband loved the meatballs, I was pretty 'meh' about them. They definitely taste better with fish sauce! Oh well, one month isn't such a long time. Who knows, maybe in that time I'll find a compliant version in my neck of the woods. Or I'll try the anchovies.

Cheers!

Yeah I hear you, it is hard when the ingredients are so hard to get and so expensive, with those ultra high shipping costs plus custom import duties etc etc. I have the same problem here in Germany, and it will be almost 20 Euros for the coconut aminos shipped to my house, and I really cannot justify an expense like that in our grocery budget. The same for the fish sauce that you mentioned. But I will definitely try the anchovies next time!

I was thinking about this the other day - would clam juice work?  I know it's more 'seafood' tasting than 'fish' tasting...but it might be more readily available and all the brands I've ever seen are compliant with nothing but clams and water in them.

Just a thought - I haven't tried it so your mileage may vary...

• 1 month later...

Lara G - too bad you're not in Calgary!  My son is going to San Francisco next month, and has orders to come back with 5-6 bottles of Red Boat  :D which he will then have to bring to me in Toronto the following week..  

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Has anyone found a compliant fish sauce brand sold in Canada yet?

It's highly unlikely that you'll find another brand besides Red Boat.  You CAN make your own and I was going to during sardine season... fermented sardines = fish sauce... but honestly, I usually just leave it and coconut aminos out and adjust the seasonings to make the recipe taste good.

Edit: Apparently if you live in a decently sized metropolitan area, you MAY be able to find compliant fish sauce at vietnamese markets... make sure you read your labels and if they're not in english, err on the side of caution.

If the labels aren't in English, the labelling law also may skip ingredients you need to know about.

Here in Australia we can get cheapo thai fish sauce, but they're not all compliant (many contain sugar).

Some also contain shellfish ingredients, so if you are allergic, be very careful.

If you have Asian grocers where you are, you might find some.

If you have a local thai restaurant, they might be able to sell you a bottle.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I too, had a really hard time finding the red boat fish sauce. 

Whole Foods stop carrying them and so did traders joes, so I figured I'd come to my local Asian market and found fish sauce that is compliment to whole 30! 

Just read the labels! The brand I got was called "patis" 

I just found a website that has free delivery to Canada, they sell Red Boat fish sauce at $12.99 and they have a lot of other condiments that are Whole30, but make sure you read the ingredients list. I also ordered 2 Primal Kitchen salad dressings, ranch & greek, coconut liquid oil and coconut aminos, so all 5 bottles ran $53 including tax delivered to my door.  Here is the website if you want to check them out.

https://naturamarket.ca/

I should have mentioned that shipping is free for a purchase of $50.

On 1/26/2017 at 5:53 PM, Eric Stalone said:

I too, had a really hard time finding the red boat fish sauce. 

Whole Foods stop carrying them and so did traders joes, so I figured I'd come to my local Asian market and found fish sauce that is compliment to whole 30! 

Just read the labels! The brand I got was called "patis" 

I found it at Fresh Market about two weeks ago. Not sure if that helps the OP. 

• 4 months later...

As a Filipino, patis is a staple condiment in our cupboard. Patis or fish sauce is made from the combination of fishes (most commonly anchovies), salt and a little bit of water. These are put inside wooden containers and allowed to ferment. After a time, the fishes are pressed to let a brownish and fish smelling liquid out. This is further processed to produce a cleaner and ready to use fish sauce 71178_67098786083_148670_n.jpg

Those are the only ingredients for this brand of fish sauce that I often get from my local Real Canadian Superstore (Asian section) in Calgary.  It costs less that $3 for a 750mL bottle. It sounds whole 30 compliant right?

Read about Rufina Patis on this site: http://onlinesarisaristore.com/seasoning/rufina-patis-a-fish-sauce-thats-a-great-seasoning-and-condiment

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Isah said:

. It sounds whole 30 compliant right?

Read about Rufina Patis on this site: http://onlinesarisaristore.com/seasoning/rufina-patis-a-fish-sauce-thats-a-great-seasoning-and-condiment

Yes, it 'sounds' whole 30 compliant but the only thing that counts is the ingredients on the side of the physical bottle you're planning on using.

Archived