First Whole30 Done

mssefa

Stats: 50 year old female, 5"8" tall, 377.2 lbs at start, hypothyroidism

I just finished my first Whole30 a week ago and it is true that this is a life changing experience. Mine was prompted by my doctor suggesting I have bariatric surgery for weight loss, despite not having any co-morbidity factors  to obesity. Also suggested liquid diet, and other things None of which felt right to me. So I prayed, visualized that God and the Universe would point me in a different direction. Was on Amazon searching for a book on decorative painting techniques -- and the first result was the Hartwig's book "It Starts With The Food." Huh? Being a true believer in signs I read the description, immediately bought the book for my Kindle and 3 days later started my First Whole30. My results:

Hypothyroidism: Controlled for first time EVER

Weird skin intermittent skin rashes: Gone

Headaches: Gone

Tin Man Syndrome (Waking up in the morning and feeling like someone needs to oil my joints): Gone

Hair Falling Out: Gone

Cold Intolerance: Gone

Energy: Through the roof

Foggy Brain: Gone

Spunk-less: Have a bully boss at work and was feeling so bad that I would not stand up for myself. My Spunk is back and she's not looking very happy about it.

Weight: Down 26 pounds and did not exercise -- per the Hartwig's advice for the obese, starting in on that during my second Whole30

Smile: all the time now!

I started my 2nd Whole30 about a week ago and truly I'm calling it Whole4Life. I'm sure there will be times when I will want to go off plan for an occasion, but I couldn't be paid to go back to eating the way I was before. The one challenge I have is sometimes getting angry at myself for not figuring this out sooner. But that is happening less and less.

One thing that did make it easier is that I love to cook, so that has not been a burden at all. I"ve been having fun making the recipes I could Whole30 Compliant. I also think it was easier that I was not a very big bread, pasta, etc. eater before I started the Whole30.

Close friends have been very supportive. We meet for dinner once a week and I do the cooking and they have totally been on board for trying my Whole30 meals.

If you are thinking about doing this -- please give it a try. Although I would suggest you try to schedule your start date so that the "I Want to Kill All Things" days (it was 2 for me) occurs on a day(s) when you can hibernate at home by yourself.

The Hartwig's are right -- this will change your life.

The one challenge I have is sometimes getting angry at myself for not figuring this out sooner. But that is happening less and less.

Kudos, mssefa!  Your results are inspiring to so many.  It is so easy to get frustrated about decisions we've made in the past - I was reminded of this great message yesterday which hit hard as I'm finishing up my second Whole30: "it doesn't matter where you've been, it only matters where you're going."  Seems that you are headed in an awesome direction.  Congrats again. 

I so needed to read this!!! Thank you and God Bless you for sharing it. I'm 57 in two days and I also am borderline Hypothyroidism (if you go by the numbers, but I think I have most of the symptoms) and I also have "tin man syndrome", acid reflux, about 35 pds. overweight or more, messed up joints, maybe a touch of arthritis, back spasms, neck issues, borderline anemia, messed up kidneys from taking Tylenol for years, high cholesterol, tri's and serious sinus issues, lately. I feel as though I'm falling apart. I'm on Day 5 and struggling the most with Gerd, feeling as though I'm gaining weight, not losing it, and missing the heck out of my cough drops (serious addiction to those!) and the stupid bathroom scale (which I used about 2-3 times a day).
I say all this for a little input from you on how you felt on Day 5, if you can remember, and also just to vent. Your story is such an inspiration to me and it's really helped today, so thank you!

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm not a sappy person, but I think I teared up a little when I read the "Smile: All the time part"! I'm overweight now, and I could see all of the signs pointing to diabetes, joint pain, fatigue, depression etc. But now I'm on day 29 and I feel great. I'm so happy for you and you are a true inspiration. WHOLE4LIFE!!!!! :0)

CONGRATULATIONS! What an inspiring story!  I'm on Day 30 and so proud of myself!  Looking forward to jumping on the scales tomorrow and writing my own success story.

Again, congrats on your success!  I bet you cannot wait to show your doctor the "new" you!!  I sure can't!

Archived