{Brie0808} Signed up and ready to start

Brie0808

I just signed up to get this life change under way. I'm going through the planning and program stuff in detail before setting a start date. I don't want to commit before my kitchen isn't 100% ready. 

I cannot wait to hear from you all. I'm a mom of four and my life can get crazy at times. My husband is never supportive when I have decided to make lifestyle changes. He doesn't understand that I'm a more all or nothing type. One M&M is never enough. Why not just drink another beer? What will a cookie do tonight? Needless to say, I can use all the support I can get, because it won't be coming from my own household. 

Luckily, my kids are amazing eaters and I live in a community that is all about health and being good to yourself. It won't be hard to find amazing produce and meat. 

Thanks in advance. Cannot wait to start this incredible journey. 

I just made my first meal plan for 1 week. I think I can manage to do the shopping tomorrow. If that's the case, then I hope to start Thursday.  I commute 2.5 hours to school on Wednesday (and Mondays and Sundays), so I don't want to start on a hectic day. 

As much as I would love to have a start date buddy, I need to do this as soon as possible. I know I'll have that "I have until X day" mentality and binge out. Thank you so much for thinking of me!

We got this!!!!

Good luck Brie! I started yesterday and I am really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I am optimistic about my chances of success, and my husband is fairly supportive for the most part (although, he did get grumpy with me for not picking up bread when I did my shopping yesterday.... :/ )

My scariest moments will come from my job, as most of my colleagues think that I am nuts to even consider this plan. They are like the flipping food police, always commenting on my meals! I started transitioning to grain free on January 2nd, and the comments and attempts to sabotage my healthful eating kind of shocked me. I don't think they are necessarily intentional, but they sure are irritating!

Anyway... Sorry, went off on a bit of a rant there! I hope it is smooth sailing for all of us! We can help each other, regardless of our start dates :)

Don't you think it bizarre that people have such a strong opinion on what we eat? It kind of drives me crazy. Eating is one of the few things these days (or so it seems) that we have 100% control over. No wonder we need so many support groups to keep us healthy! Everyone's a critic I suppose. I just need to remember I'm doing this for MYSELF, so it doesn't matter what anyone else says. 

Totally OK with rants by the way  :D

So bizarre! To paraphrase someone on the 'craziest things ever said' forum, I don't generally comment on what other people are eating, so it's strange at best, offensive at worst that people feel like it's OK to comment on what I eat! When I'm in the 'kill all things' stage, I doubt I will be as charitable as I usually am in this regard lol.

Good for you for being so motivated to get going! I have to wait until March 3rd because I will be away from home until then, but like Lara said, we can help each other through this regardless of our start date. I'm sure you will be a great resource for me once I get started. :)

Good for you for being so motivated to get going! I have to wait until March 3rd because I will be away from home until then, but like Lara said, we can help each other through this regardless of our start date. I'm sure you will be a great resource for me once I get started. :)

It's really smart to realize the best time to start. I remember reading about start dates in the about (or the equivalent) Whole30. It's all about fully being able to commit to this and knowing when you can commit. 

Good job!

I'm going grocery shopping today! I have my list ready and meal plans set for the week. I will either be starting tomorrow or Thursday. My Wednesdays are pretty hectic and I have a dental appointment today that may end in an extracted tooth. 

However, I did have a delicious omelet this morning with cauliflower, green bell pepper, avocado and salsa. My kids ate a lot of it as usual. I did have it with some Ezekiel bread though - one of my "healthy" choices that will be going out the window (well, stay in the freezer really for the kids). 

A little nervous about how dinners will go with my husband and spending 3 dinners away. I commute 2.5 hours 3 days a week, but have a great break room to keep and warm up any food I need to.

Anyone interested in training for a 5K with me? I used to be an avid runner and would like to start again nice and slow. Somewhere else I could post this?

Day 1 was yesterday and it went well. 

Food Log:

Breakfast - berries and apple salad with cinnamon, flaxseed and chia; hard-boiled egg

PostWorkout - hard-boiled egg, bell pepper, small handful of nuts

Lunch - kale, spinach, Romaine salad topped with pork chop, 1/2 apple, lemon juice and basil

Dinner - "fried" onion and mushroom on top of spinach and a chicken breast

Misc Snaking - sweaweed, cashews, hard-boiled egg, jerky

I'm the type of person who usually grazes and doesn't eat big meals, so it was hard not to snack. However, my snack choices were all Whole30 approved and kept me satiated. Also, I tend to snack on things while driving (commute to school 3 days a week). 

I felt great and have already had a great breakfast and have a delicious lunch and dinner planned. I've also started "flavoring" my water again in hopes of keeping myself more hydrated. Yesterday was lemon, today is cucumber!

Nice start!

Some suggested tweaks to be consistent with the Whole30 recommended meal template:

- breakfast was missing veggies. Avoid letting fruit push veggies off your plate. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal. Make sure each meal has an appropriate amount of compliant fat.

- PostWO is protein and carb. No fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. If you're going to have egg post WO, have the egg white. Many folks opt for chicken as their postWO protein.

- snacks can be an indication that your earlier meals need to be bigger. Play with your portion sizes until your meal satiate you for 4-5 hours. In the meantime, if you're genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal containing a protein and fat.

- confirm that your jerky is compliant.

I was feeling kind of nauseous yesterday morning and fruit has a tendency to help me out. I usually have an exploding omelet or skillet with tons of veggies. I have a really hard time eating larger meals. I like smaller meals. I'll remember the PostWO. The jerky was definitely compliant since we make it ourselves  :D Yummmmm! 

Thanks so much for the input! I'll print out the template as a constant reminder and hopefully keep myself fuller longer. 

I'm glad to hear your first day went so well for you! I wonder if you sauteed your veggies in the morning it might be a bit easier on your stomach first thing? That's what I found helped me to eat my morning veggies.

How do you make your jerky? I'd love to try making my own. I have a 3 day school trip in April and I think I'm going to bring most of my food to the camp instead of eating the SAD food they provide.Gotta plan ahead! ;)

I have a tendency to crave sweet things if my stomach feels a little funky; that's why I chose the fruit salad that morning. But I'm sure after this 30 days, I won't have that problem. We have a really great smoker we use for the jerky. We buy some great local steaks and slice it really thin and either marinade the strips or season them and then smoke them for hours. My husband calls it the ole cowboy way. 

Day 2 

I got hungry a few times yesterday, but not as bad as the first day. No crazy cravings and felt great! 

Breakfast - breakfast sausage and veggie skillet topped with avocado, fresh tomato and lime juice 

Lunch - a local fish soup that was AMAZING (again, glad I live somewhere that I can pick up a jar of soup from the market and it's Whole30 approved!)

Dinner - "Paleo Meatloaf) with a basil, spinach and tomato salad topped with lemon juice

I played Just Dance with the kids and used that as my workout. It was so much fun. I didn't do a pre and postWO snack though, which I think was the cause of the random hungriness. 

Day 3 is off to a great start!

Day 3 was off to an amazing start and then I found out I was pregnant and had 1/2 a donut. I'm pretty stressed, but will start again today. I've had hard pregnancies in the past and refuse to let that happen again. 

Day 1 - Feb. 23rd

Well, isn't that something, I also found out I am pregnant! I was very compliant as far as food consumed, but I felt so terrible all day, the template itself flew right out the window. I also started taking my vitamins again, non compliant ingredients be damned. Pregnancy will take precedent as far as that's concerned.

Oh my gosh!!!!!! Yay for us!

This morning I did great. It took me a while to finish my breakfast, but I managed to keep it down. I plan on looking closely at the vitamins and seeing what I can do to prevent taking them if possible. I just need to be super adamant about my diet and exercise. I don't want to have to take medication this time and I definitely want to go into labor on my own.

You'll be in my thoughts daily.  

Yesterday was pretty good. I found some compliant prenatal vitamins on line, but am going to check our local market first. 

Breakfast - berries and apples with cinnamon, flaseed and chia seed

omelet loaded with kale, red onion and orange bell pepper

PreWOhard boiled egg

Lunch/PostWO - (I know. It shouldn't be together....) Sweet potato skillet with bacon, kale, yellow onion and bell pepper. This was also my Dinner because it was so delicious!

Snacks for baby - seaweed, berries and apples, cucumber and carrots

I have a new favorite breakfast. It's called Almost Oatmeal and it's applesauce, almond butter, coconut milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Of course, these ingredients are whole ingredients only. You just warm it up and stir to your hearts content. It is seriously delicious and a much needed replacement for my oatmeal that I loved so much. I had it with a side of steak.

For lunch I had a tuna salad salad loaded with veggies and 1/2 an apple. This is probably my new go to for lunches. It's tuna (just tuna and water!) mixed with balsamic vinegar and spicy mustard and throw it on top of as many crunchy items you have in the fridge! It's refreshing and an easy way to get in some veggies that you usually wouldn't eat. Top with some avocado for some healthy fats!

I slacked off on dinner because the chicken wasn't thawed. I did a left over skillet with veggies and pork and a side of cous cous for the husband and kids to fill it up. Some day I'll get my husband and children on board with me. They're relatively healthy eaters, but my husband has no problem with frozen pizzas and the occasional McDonald's trips and dessert if you eat your dinner. 

moved for 45 minutes doing misc. plyometrics, dancing and extra moves while doing laundry, cleaning, etc. 

I checked my blood pressure a few times throughout the day and it's still holding strong around 115/72. I'll be so happy if I can keep it this way!

I have a new favorite breakfast. It's called Almost Oatmeal and it's applesauce, almond butter, coconut milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Of course, these ingredients are whole ingredients only. You just warm it up and stir to your hearts content. It is seriously delicious and a much needed replacement for my oatmeal that I loved so much. I had it with a side of steak.

Replacing oatmeal really isn't in the spirit of a Whole30, and this mixture borders on Paleo-ifying a treat as it's fruit, fat and spices.

We encourage you to have meals that fit the recommended template of protein, veg and fat. While it's good that you added the steak, this meal is missing veggies.

Instead of mixing compliant ingredients into treats, explore the countless delicious options that fit the template.

Replacing oatmeal really isn't in the spirit of a Whole30, and this mixture borders on Paleo-ifying a treat as it's fruit, fat and spices.

We encourage you to have meals that fit the recommended template of protein, veg and fat. While it's good that you added the steak, this meal is missing veggies.

Instead of mixing compliant ingredients into treats, explore the countless delicious options that fit the template.

I originally didn't intend for it to be a "replacement" and I know it's on the sweet side. I don't plan on having it after today for the next 30 days. I ended up having dairy yesterday thinking I was craving it and absolutely needed it. It was horrible and I was gassy the rest of the evening and actually had an anxiety attack! So I'm back to day 1. Ugh! 

I refuse to say that this is hard, but while pregnant, it definitely brings up some difficulties. I know that if I can stick with it, I'll have the healthiest pregnancy though and my nausea will probably go down severely. I did, however, find a compliant prenatal vitamin!

Meat, veggies, healthy fat. Meat, veggies, healthy fat. Meat, veggies, healthy fat! My mantra from here on out!!!! Me and baby got this!!!

I originally didn't intend for it to be a "replacement" and I know it's on the sweet side. I don't plan on having it after today for the next 30 days. I ended up having dairy yesterday thinking I was craving it and absolutely needed it. It was horrible and I was gassy the rest of the evening and actually had an anxiety attack! So I'm back to day 1. Ugh! 

I refuse to say that this is hard, but while pregnant, it definitely brings up some difficulties. I know that if I can stick with it, I'll have the healthiest pregnancy though and my nausea will probably go down severely. I did, however, find a compliant prenatal vitamin!

Meat, veggies, healthy fat. Meat, veggies, healthy fat. Meat, veggies, healthy fat! My mantra from here on out!!!! Me and baby got this!!!

You can do this!  Sorry to hear about the dairy incident, but glad to hear you're getting back on the wagon. Think of what you did up to now as a warm up for you and your baby.

If needed, get some inspiration from the Whole30 While Pregnant and Breastfeeding forum.

Also, if you need more variety than meat, swap in eggs and seafood for your protein once in a while.

Archived