Help understanding 'healthy fat' amounts

Lauraashley

Can someone explain how much fat we're suppose to add to each meal a little better for me?  I am looking at the meal template, and I am still getting confused.  I am hoping I am not the only person, so that is why I am starting this topic. 

Here is my question:  Per meal, for example, can I have; A heaping handful of olives and 1 avocado in the same meal?  Or is it one or the other? 

My salad today was: Grill chicken, romaine, about 15 cashews, half an avocado, handful of olives, and a slided apple ...... did I add too much fat??????

My breakfast is egg salad with lemonaise, bacon, and veggies sauteed in olive oil or coconut oil.  Is this too much fat?

What I am confused about is if I can have more than one fat in each meal?  I know that oils should be a thumb size, avocado should be 1/2 to whole, nuts closed fist, and olives full handful.  But if I eat olives then I can't have avocado?  UGH!  I am lost.

I usually also eat a taco salad and add guac to it, and then eat guac on the side with jicama.  So now I am worried I am eating too much fat at each meal and I have been doing the whole30 wrong the entire time. 

I need help.  Please.

Thanks all =)

You can have two different fat sources in a meal, following the recommended serving sizes in the meal template. So, for example, 1 handful of olives and 1/2 an avocado would be fine.  Check in with how satiated you are. Meals should pleasantly satisfy you, not overstuff you.

I bought lemonaise from whole foods ... the ingredients read "pure expeller expressed canola oil, water, cage free whole eggs, mustard (which ingredients are vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt and spice) lemon, cage free egg yolks, salt, distilled vinegar, garlic, and cayenne pepper....no preservatives.  I have tried to make my own mayo before, but it never comes out right, so I thought this was the best alternative. 

I understand fat better now, with your help.  I really appreciate the replies.  I was very nervous I was eating too much! 

Going to pick up light olive oil during lunch.  I will attemp to make my own again.  I'll try using a different kitchen appliance.  If not, I'll try the avocado route. 

I'll tell you what, I wasn't the most favorite cube mate at work today when I opened my egg salad =) 

doesn't smell the best, but boy is it yummy!

I am just posting here to say that if you have a stick blender, definitely try the stick blender method of making mayo. I was completely fail at it until I used that method. Physibeth also gave me some great tips that helped me get my first successful batch.

1 cup olive oil (or whatever compliant oil you are using)

1 egg

juice of half a lemon or lime

generous pinch salt

1 tbsp water

Put all that in a jar (I use an old pickle jar) and let the egg settle to the bottom under the oil. Put stick blender in jar, turn on and keep on for 20 seconds or until you see no change. Tilt jar a little to the right until you see no change. Tilt jar a little to the left until you see no change. THEN slowly lift the stick blender up a little and keep it going until you see no change.

With these tips from Physibeth and other posters, I have finally been able to get two successful batches of mayo in a row!

Mashed avocado is good too though, that is what I was using for tuna salad before I got all the mayo help from these forums.

I am just posting here to say that if you have a stick blender, definitely try the stick blender method of making mayo. I was completely fail at it until I used that method. Physibeth also gave me some great tips that helped me get my first successful batch.

1 cup olive oil (or whatever compliant oil you are using)

1 egg

juice of half a lemon or lime

generous pinch salt

1 tbsp water

Put all that in a jar (I use an old pickle jar) and let the egg settle to the bottom under the oil. Put stick blender in jar, turn on and keep on for 20 seconds or until you see no change. Tilt jar a little to the right until you see no change. Tilt jar a little to the left until you see no change. THEN slowly lift the stick blender up a little and keep it going until you see no change.

With these tips from Physibeth and other posters, I have finally been able to get two successful batches of mayo in a row!

Mashed avocado is good too though, that is what I was using for tuna salad before I got all the mayo help from these forums.

Thank you!  I have a blender at home, so I am going to try that first ... since I already have it.  If it doesn't work, then I am going to purchase the stick.  In the video on (i think its this website) well fed, she uses a regular blender.  So I am going to watch the video and do it along with her, I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks again

Can someone explain how much fat we're suppose to add to each meal a little better for me?  I am looking at the meal template, and I am still getting confused.  I am hoping I am not the only person, so that is why I am starting this topic. 

Here is my question:  Per meal, for example, can I have; A heaping handful of olives and 1 avocado in the same meal?  Or is it one or the other? 

My salad today was: Grill chicken, romaine, about 15 cashews, half an avocado, handful of olives, and a slided apple ...... did I add too much fat??????

My breakfast is egg salad with lemonaise, bacon, and veggies sauteed in olive oil or coconut oil.  Is this too much fat?

What I am confused about is if I can have more than one fat in each meal?  I know that oils should be a thumb size, avocado should be 1/2 to whole, nuts closed fist, and olives full handful.  But if I eat olives then I can't have avocado?  UGH!  I am lost.

I usually also eat a taco salad and add guac to it, and then eat guac on the side with jicama.  So now I am worried I am eating too much fat at each meal and I have been doing the whole30 wrong the entire time. 

I need help.  Please.

Thanks all =)

I don't worry to much about the amounts of healthy fat I'm eating, I find they keep me full.  I think that the amounts you described sound perfect.  The only thing I watch out for is the nut butter -- a lot of folks find it's an easy thing to turn into an indulgence on Whole30.  

I don't worry to much about the amounts of healthy fat I'm eating, I find they keep me full.  I think that the amounts you described sound perfect.  The only thing I watch out for is the nut butter -- a lot of folks find it's an easy thing to turn into an indulgence on Whole30.  

Thank you!  I actually cut out the 'monkey salad' all together.  I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, and I didn't want to eat the nut butter everyday.  So now instead I am eating 3 boiled eggs with a tsp of my homemade mayo, to make egg salad and a side of veggies ... today I have broccoli and green beans with ghee.  I also added an orange this morning because I felt a little more hungry and I didn't eat any fruit yesterday.  For lunch I made the same salad as I posted above, so I will have enough fat there.  And then I will have a pre workout snack when I get home before I do to crossfit.  I found sausages that my grocery stores makes in house and the only ingredients are pork and spices!  They were so good.  I hope pork is approved to eat =)

wow!  it worked, I have a jar of homemade mayo sitting in my fridge right now! crazy! thanks for all the help.  Lets hope I like the taste now ;)

by the way ... it was delicious!  I hope the next time I make it, it comes out this good.  This opens so many new reciepes for me!  I am super excited!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love to flavor my homemade mayo. Right now my favorite is a chipotle mayo: 1/4 mayo, 1(heaping) tsp chili powder, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 crushed garlic clove. Goes great on sliced turkey :)

Same here, I just add one or two Chipotle peppers to mine, so yummy!  :D

I too now LOOOVE homemade mayo!! I am making mine with the stick blender, crazy easy & fast. 

I am using avocado oil sold at Costco, I really love the light flavor for mayo. Makes me a little nervous no one else mentions using it? I know the EVOO people say not to use Extra Virgin as it tastes too... something icky (even tho I like OO flavor).

Archived