Has Anyone Seen My Wagon?

chanan88

I cannot believe how far off track I've gone in the two weeks since I finished my whole30.

I've been trying to stick to a mainly paleo diet probably doing 70/30 at the moment

I think the main problem for me is snacking I've been buying dark chocolate since its paleo friendly but then I end up munching the bar in a sitting and on Saturday even though I wasn't that hungry and knew that I shouldn't I ended up ordering in a large pizza, sides and dessert and demolished the whole lot!!!

I think I need to push the reset button and try get back into the healthy eating mindframe again! I'm eating these foods not because I want them but because I can!!! It needs to stop!! I know what I'm doing is unhealthy and that I feel gross after it but that did not stop slice after slice of pizza getting munched (it was delicious at the time though!)

The only thing that's stopping me from restarting a whole30 now is my birthday, which is in two weeks but if I continue to eat like this til then I'll be feeling even worse :(

• 2 weeks later...

Try planning when you are going to go off diet.  If you know you have an event coming, plan to eat one or two things that are no-no's.  Otherwise, stay compliant.  That has worked for me.  If I go 'off diet' with no plans, I leap off my wagon and land right on my head.  I still need structure and plans to keep on the straight and narrow.  I don't do it out of habit yet.

Keep in mind, it gets better with practice.  I liken it to the swing of a pendulum.  I would do a W30, the pendulum would swing all-the-way-over to one side, then I would 'go off' and swing all the way to the other side and eat every bad food I could get my hands on .  Feeling terrible, I'd gear up and do another W30.  I've been doing this for almost 2 years now, and the pendulum arcs keep getting smaller.  The crappy way I feel when consuming previously favorite foods is just not worth it any more.  The longer I do this, the worse certain foods make me feel, so each time there is less incentive to off-road than the previous time.  We are all a work in progress.

Some great advice here already. Did you do the reintroduction period after your first Whole30 to know what you react to? Knowing your body makes it easy to ask the questions "is it special" and "is it worth it" and feel good about those decisions. Personally after eating this way for almost a year I know what will and won't make me feel like crap and I eat pretty close to the template when I'm at home and then use the questions when I'm out of eating socially to make the best decisions I can. The Whole9 guide to nutritional off roading might be helpful as well too: http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Whole9's-Guide-to-Nutritional-Off-Roading.pdf but all of this relies on having done careful introductions so you can decide on what is worth it.

Archived