My Log, days 1 and 2. Feedback appreciated!

LaraG

Ok,  I thought I was off to a brilliant start, and then I looked at the list of ingredients on my vitamins. My vitamin D has lactose in it. D'OH!!! Oh well, I guess I'll be doing a Whole 32:)

Feb 17 -

Brunch (slept in) - Oven roasted Portabello mushroom, sauteed kale, 3 scrambled eggs, 2 tsp coconut oil

Snack - 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, 1 apple

Dinner - 3 meatballs (nom nom paleo's Asian meatballs), 1 large oven roasted beet with 1 tbsp avocado oil and balsamic vinegar, lots of oven roasted broccoli

Feb 18-

Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs in 1 tbsp ghee, 1/2 large avocado, 3 heaping tbsp salsa

Lunch - Leftovers (3 meatballs, oven roasted broccoli), 1 raw red pepper

Snack - 1/2 cup macadamia nuts

Dinner - 1 Asian Chicken thigh (nom nom paleo again), 1 baked sweet potato w/ ghee, salad greens and tomato w/ homemade balsamic vinaigrette

Thoughts?

One thing I am trying to be conscientious about is my fat intake. I have a tendency to really overdo it, so it is the only thing I will be measuring until I can eyeball the portions with more ease.

Thanks!

Welcome!

Do you have a copy of the meal template? Whole30 recommends that each meal follow this template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and the appropriate amount of compliant fat.

Feb 18th breakfast looked light on veggies. Unclear whether your lunch that day had a compliant fat.

Snacks can be an indication that you need to increase your portion sizes at your earlier meals. Play around until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.  In the meantime, if you're genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that contains a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. Save your fruit to enjoy with or immediately after your meals.

Thanks for the quick feedback! My oven roasted broccoli is cooked with macadamia nut oil, so I would assume that would count as a fat? The meatballs were also fatty. I agree with you about not enough veggies today (I should look at a calendar once in a while, it should read Feb 16 - 17; I can see into the future lol). I find the avocado and egg combo really satiating, but I will add in some more sauteed kale tomorrow and see if that helps. My lunch will be dinner leftovers from tonight, so hopefully that'll be enough to get me through my workday.

I do high intensity training (sort of cross fit-ish in intensity, not as heavy with the weight lifting though. More body weight and functional). What would you suggest as a good post workout snack, if anything? Should I just wait for dinner?

Herbs! Fresh and (home) dried herbs help me out a lot. There's something really satisfying about the smell when roasting veggies with all my favorite herbs. However, I'm so new to this lifestyle that I haven't officially named my start date (just now got my grocery list for week 1 done). So, I'm not sure how "kosher" herbs are. My guess is it's a free for all. 

Congrats on making a great lifestyle choice and good luck in the future!!!

Brie, have you ever tried the 'magic mushroom powder' recipe from nom nom paleo? It is AWESOME on roast veggies. I generally like my veggies, so I don't have too much difficulty getting them in, but that salt opened up a whole new world of veggie awesomeness! As far as I know, herbs are totally kosher in this plan 

Archived