Starting Whole30 on 2/22/14

Jaybird913

I'm with you on the portion sizing! I feel like depending on how delicious my food is, I eat way more than I need to. It's something I've always had a problem with so I've been trying to eat until I'm not hungry anymore versus until I can't eat anymore. It's tough but I feel like I've been doing okay at it. I'm practicing because it is only going to get harder once I can have bread again.

I am also with you on great sleep. I think because of the lack of sugar, I've actually been tired at bedtime instead of wired which is fantastic. I also feel like I've just been more positive. Before starting the program I was going through a phase that felt a little bit like depression. It would take me sometimes hours to fall asleep and all I'd be doing was thinking about the inevitability of death and questioning my faith, and going through all this emotional stress. I slept poorly and was tired when I would wake up. I feel like I'm both sleeping better in the sense that I'm tired but I'm also less troubled. I feel simply happier which is a great feeling. I also feel like I have more energy when I wake up and throughout the day which is important because I have a crazy school/work/internship schedule going on right now.

And the eggs were delicious! Definitely add some veggies. It totally changes up the taste and just makes them fun! And I also wanted to add cheese to them haha. I keep thinking about adding to cheese to everything and I think I had a dream last night about eating cheese. 

I'm starting to reach a small bit of food boredom so tonight and tomorrow I'm going to compile some recipes to try out. I love spaghetti so I'm thinking about making a huge batch of spaghetti sauce which is the most delicious part and eating that. I think it will be great! But we will see what it is like without the pasta. I bought some frozen vegetables which have been my savior for quick meals. They don't taste as good as the fresh ones but still pretty good. 

A few days ago I was struggling just thinking about getting through thirty days but now I can't imagine not getting through. I think the worst week was the hardest. Now I feel great and even though I crave bread I know that it will make me feel bad and I love this great feeling in my body.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asparagus and eggs (with avocado and salsa) this morning.... Delicious! On the docket this evening: roast a bunch of small squashes before they go bad and make cookies- ugh. In the past two weeks I have had to bake bread and make two batches of cookies for other families. Those experiences went okay, but I feel kind of vulnerable today.

I feel rather low on energy so I'm going to go for a short run ( the only kind of running I do these days!) to see if that perks me up a bit.

Stick with it, Carmen, you are all I have! Unless you are out there plugging along, Jaybird and Joyce!

Hi ladies.... I just wanted to tell you that I decided to start again, and this is my day 3 !!! Reading your posts has helped me a lot and I wanted to share the good news with you. You are my heroines  :-) and I am following you!!

Actually it went pretty well these last 3 days for me. I cooked (which is totally unusual for me) and I worked out as well. It was a holiday till today, so it was easier to be under control. As I said before, my problem is at work. So, big challenge for me tomorrow !! 

Today was a little harder than normal for me, but I made it through! Breakfast was leftover eggs and for lunch I ate at the Cheesecake Factory with my boyfriend and his mom. It was nice to eat out but I always feel self-conscious with all my questions and requests to change my food haha, but oh well. I got a side salad with lemon for dressing which was aight, with a burger wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun. I added some tomato and mustard to the burger which was delicious! The waiter was super nice about making sure the entire meal was whole 30 compliant which was awesome, but I still felt kind of bad for putting him through a lot of trouble. 

Today was mainly hard because I did a lot of cooking. I'm about to enter the real tough and long part of my week so if I don't prepare food I don't get to eat. I was definitely conscious of all the things I could have been doing instead of cooking but I pushed through and made some delicious food. I made a batch of chicken, which I ate part of with veggies for dinner. I lately have been buying the frozen vegetables from fresh and easy that you can cook in the bag in the microwave. It doesn't taste as great as fresh vegetables but it's super convenient. They have saved me on days where I just don't have time to steam vegetables over the stove. 

I also made a large batch of spaghetti sauce. I love spaghetti but my favorite part is the sauce so I figured I could just make a bunch of sauce and it would still taste great and it does! I ate some of it when it was done and it is delicious. Basically I just sauteed a bunch of bell peppers, mushrooms, onions and garlic and mixed it together in a pot with ground turkey, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, an allspice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I'm getting hungry again thinking about it!

I am also in the process of making scotch eggs. I made the eggs, wrapped them in the chicken puree and am now cooking them. BTW, if you don't know what these are here is a recipe: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/paleo-chicken-scotch-egg/

I would suggest making them over the weekend or when you have a lot of time because they are time consuming, however, they smell so delicious that I'm sure they will be great. I did substitute some of the recipe spices with ones I already had so it was less expensive than it would have been. I am super stoked to try them when they are done!!

I am super stoked to be on day eleven already! Mostly because this means the hardest days are over and a bundle of energy is coming! Don't worry gardengirl! I will keep going. You are definitely part of what is getting me through this right now. I am glad that you were able to try adding avocado and salsa and that you enjoyed it! It definitely makes eggs less boring, and I'm so sorry about your extra baking! Hopefully the cookie making is at its end, otherwise I know you can pull through! Today was definitely really hard. I'm hoping tomorrow is easier but if not, I'm just going to work towards seeing to the end of each day until things pull up.

Welcome back EsTher! I'm so happy that you have decided to start again! Even though we are on different days I still feel like we can be a great support network! I wish you well during your week at work! I know that you can do it! I honestly felt like the first week was the hardest in the sense that I kept wanting to break and give up. Now it is still hard but I feel more confident that I can get through the rest of the program. It has become more routine and I don't miss the old food as much. I definitely believe in you!

So Happy day eleven and day three girls! I'm so glad that we have this forum to connect and support each other!

Welcome back to the fold, EsTher! Whoo hoo for making it through the first three days!

Carmen, the only reason many of mine are so short is that I'm using the I-Pad and it "corrects" so many words it's a pain to write much! The long posts are clearly when I have computer access!

Carmen, you have tried the sauce on spaghetti squash (or zoodles)- right? I love, love red sauce that way... In fact I just got some Thai basil at the local Asian market and I have a squash.....

I have often added veggies to eggs, but lately have been in the greens-n-eggs regimen. It's nice to branch out.

And, I just copied what I had posted during my first W30 adventure about eating out:

I had a two-day road trip which went well, and am leaving again for a few days where I will have to dine out. I have visions of Meg Ryan as Sally (in "When Harry Met Sally") with all the annoying specifics when ordering. I'll try to resist the temptation to not perform her "other restaurant scene" from that movie!

So, yes, I can relate! I am amazed you were able to find compliant food at that place!

Hi again !!! Thanks for welcoming me back. I really like sharing this journey with you. I do not have much time to write now because I have to leave for work... BUT, I tell you that I already made lunch and got all ready. I made a big salad with avocado and tuna - to get both the protein and the fat. Simple but good I think!

And I am planning to go to the gym at the end of the day. So I will be back tonight to tell you everything.  

Have a great day!

Gardengirl! I was amazing that I found compliant food as well! As for the spaghetti sauce I am currently eating it over mashed sweet potatoes which is delicious, but I may have to try to make some zoodles. I also know what you mean about auto-correct. It drives me crazy sometimes just texting so I usually end up calling someone if I need to tell them something. I just feel like I can't type fast enough on a phone or ipad and it drives me nuts. Also love your When Harry Met Sally reference!

EsTher! You can make it through! I'm stoked that you planned a great meal for work and am glad we are all sharing this journey together. I hope your gym goes/went well! :D

Today is leftover day for me because it is my long day and I'm basically out of the house from 7AM to 1030PM. For breakfast I had a banana and hardboiled egg. I've never been hungry in the morning so I'm actually proud of myself for even eating this small amount of food. When I've talked about breakfasts in the past, I've really meant more like brunch. I usually can't stomach food until at least 10 in the morning. Lunch was some leftover chicken and veggies and for dinner some mashed sweet potatoes with spaghetti sauce, an artichoke and maybe an orange and one of my scotch eggs. Happy Day Twelve and Day Four!

BTW, I haven't gotten that wonderful boost of energy I was supposed to get today, but here's hoping it will show up tomorrow morning.

Hi ! I am happy to report that I made my day at work :D . I had a really bad couple of hours before lunch - really tired and sleepy -  but then it went well (the fact that I had one meeting after the other during the afternoon also helped). The sleepy feeling might be because I am trying to cut my coffee to 2 cups per day (I used to have 5 or even more depending on the day). Ohh I never thought I would enjoy it black!

Carmen, I feel the same about breakfast... actually, I had never put something salty in my mouth before lunch until I tried this program. So it is really difficult, I am trying to force myself to eat at least something small. 

And I also went to the gym !

Happy day twelve to you!! :)  :)

Good for you, EsTher.... For all of that! Cooking, gym-going, cooking and that huge reduction in coffee intake. Each of those things are "big," but to do them at the same time is huge! I wake up wondering what to put into my mouth; very different from you two! Happy 13 eve!

I should probably put this in my log, but instead I'll whine to you.  I REALLY REALLY REALLY would love a chocolate cookie (and maybe a nap) right now!!!  I just checked the timeline and I guess I'm on track.  It does seem like it is both going so very well :) ... and this feeling of what's that?  we're not even half way yet?!  [GG now jumping into a more positive place] ...  But hey, we're almost halfway!  I think it's time to get myself very busy.  I feel like I'm managing myself like one might a toddler- distraction, distraction, distraction!   Hope your day is great!  Happy Day 5- is it?  and 13!        And yes, just writing this helps!

Yes ! It was my day 5. And it was hard but I made it !. I was very busy at work (which is good somehow), but I had to go through a few situations and decisions that made me very anxious and nervous. In any other time before, I would have eaten everything around ! 

I couldn't have lunch until 15:30 (I was so glad I had my lunch with me)... and finish work at 8 in the evening. So anticipating  a "bad" finish of the day, I went to the gym !!!! And afterwords I felt much better and empowered to go on. And that is enough for the day! 

Oh... confession: I did something bad - I did not eat the protein for dinner, just veggies with olive oil. I did not have anything cooked and I run out of eggs. Oh well, I guess that is better than failing, so I am ok with it  ;)

You are almost halfway ! congratulations !!!!  :) 

Have a happy Friday!! 

I'm definitely in that same place gardengirl! I cannot stop wanting pizza. It's been plaguing me the most today. Yesterday I was so busy I don't think I even had time to think about cravings. Today was another story. I'm excited to push past the cravings and hit the downhill slope.

I was low on energy again today but I think it's because Wednesdays are so long and I have to get up early Thursday mornings. Thursdays have always been really rough for me so feeling a lack of energy is normal. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have more energy. I'm starting to get sick of my food so I'm gonna have to start making some new stuff. I looked up some recipes that I want to try but meanwhile I need to finish my leftovers. My boyfriend was super sweet today and knew I was not interested in my food and having a hard time with the cravings so he made me a delicious steak :D That definitely perked up my evening. 

EsTher! I'm so glad that you had a great end to the day. I also wouldn't worry about following the meal template exactly. As long as you are mostly eating protein and vegetables compared to fruit and fats, I'm sure you will be fine! That's sort of what I've started doing. I'm rarely hungry at breakfast so I can't fit everything I'm supposed to eat into the morning. I just try to eat a lot of protein and veggies throughout the day versus fruit and fats so I'm still getting a good ratio.

Happy Day 13-almost 14! and Day 5-almost 6! to us!

Hi girls, 

I did not have a great day either today. I am with minimum levels of energy (physical and mental)... I guess it is part of the process. So today I was not able to go to the gym. 

I have passed through some moments of : "this is not worth it", "what the hell am I doing?". I think the reason is that I am stressed out for two "events" that area coming up  which make me feel that I could loose control:

1. Dinner with a few friends tomorrow night - sushi night (so, only sashimi allowed with no sauce, which I am not sure I can eat). I do not want to say no, because I have refused a couple of offers lately, and I would not like to cut my little social life while doing this. BUT, on the other hand I just can't think about anything else than: how am I going to manage? So I am seriously considering not going... Plus I am so tired now to think about it. Have you had these type of "troubles" before?

2. (this is worse than the one before because I can't really avoid it). My boss is coming to visit me for 3 days (starting monday). This basically means eating out for every meal everyday. We even have already a set lunch with the whole team on Tuesday and I know there is nothing grain-free in the menu. 

So I am getting really nervous about all this (and a few thoughts of "giving up" have crossed my mind). 

BUT for now I am on track! Passed day 6, and I am so happy about it. 

Sorry about the whining but I really needed to get it out somehow (not many people would really understand this feeling). 

I hope you had a great Day 14 !!

awww you can do it EsTher! The first week is definitely the hardest. It's still hard right now but it feels way easier than before!! As for the dinner thing, I would find out where you are going and get a menu. Also maybe you can get food beforehand? You can either pack extra food with you if you are going straight from work, or eat at home beforehand. Make sure to fill up in case you do not like sashimi. That way you can eat but still don't have to decline the offer.

As for your boss visiting you. I would start looking at possible restaurants to go to that will make accommodations for you. That way you can have a list and just tell your boss that you are on a really strict diet right now for your health. I'm sure your boss will understand. I would also pack a lunch just in case. You can always eat your food before you go to lunch, and get something small wherever you go or not get anything at all if there is nothing you can eat. For the lunch on Tuesday I would bring my own food. If there is nothing grain-free, you can just say you aren't eating gluten right now. It's super common right now for people to go gluten-free so I'm sure there will be plenty of understanding, and it isn't your fault they aren't checking to make sure all the staff can actually eat the food they are providing. It will definitely be hard but you can do it! It will get EASIER! Once you hit your first boost of energy you will know that it is worth it!

With that said, Happy Day 14-almost 15, and Day 6, almost 7 to us!

P.S. on this forum we definitely should feel free to "whine." I feel like whining to our family and friends will make them really sick of us, but we are all going through the same thing so of course we will all be super understanding. It's important to recognize your feelings and get them off your chest!

Thanks Carmen for your tips. For the dinner tonight it is at my friends' home so it is actually easy to get my food there. But I guess I am struggling with the fact that I have to explain this to people and they think I am weird. I need to pass this and just think about myself and my health. And then stay out all the things that will be around (desserts, ...).

And then during the week, I believe that I will not eat at all on Tuesday. No way I can get my lunch, those type of days we are going from one meeting to another and it is just not possible (believe, I wish I could !!). An for the rest of the meals the good thing is that living in Argentina means that I can get a steak almost anywhere. So I will make sure we go to good restaurants for that (and my boss will love it).  

I know I can do it, but it is just killing my mind. One of the reasons I am trying to do this (I think I told you before) is that I have had a bad relationship with food almost all my live. I could go from starving to binging, on and on, and my weight would go up and down like crazy... and these types of situations are what make me go out of control.

Today I woke up like "tired"... like I can't carry my own legs !! ... I am having a coffee and breakfast. Hope that helps and then I will try to go to the gym. 

Happy day for you. You are hitting the middle point !!!!!

EsTher- you can indeed do this! You have the template and your own good guidance and creativity to guide you. Regarding the friend gathering, it seems that so many people are doing some exploring with regard to food that even if you do share, no one will blink an eye. Regarding Tuesday, isn't that what big purses are for? I hope you move through this challenging week with relative ease!

Oh... confession: I did something bad - I did not eat the protein for dinner, just veggies with olive oil. I did not have anything cooked and I run out of eggs. Oh well, I guess that is better than failing, so I am ok with it  ;)

You didn't do something bad. You made a less than ideal choice but you are not bad for making that choice. 

I agree with gardengirl EsTher! You can totally do this!! You are just about a week done with the program already, and after half of tomorrow has gone by you will be 1/4 done with the program!!! You are doing great. As for Tuesday, I agree about the purse thing. Even if it means just bringing a lara bar, if you can find one, or even some almonds. I would look for nonperishable foods you can eat so that you can make it through without starving yourself. So some almonds, an orange or apple, maybe some celery sticks? Those foods can sit out of the fridge so you can definitely bring them along with you. 

I hope that the dinner went well! You are almost to day eight!! 

Today has been hard for me. I've already mentioned working on the weekends at a bagel shop and it was hard being around all that bread today. The thing I miss the most is bread. I'm also right now at my grandma's and they just ordered pizza so I get to sit and watch them eat pizza, which is one of my favorite foods, while I eat my veggies, almonds and scotch eggs. Bleh, I know it will be fine but I'd rather be away from temptation. I had a dream that I broke my whole 30. I was relieved when I woke up because I couldn't imagine starting Whole 30 over at this point. 

I'm definitely ready to be halfway through, and hitting the downhill slope. I do feel healthier and better, but the cravings have been pretty rough. Here's to making it halfway and 1/4 of the way through girls!

Yes, at midnight (and we get to set our clocks forward, so time will be on our side!) we're on the downward side of this.  Say, esTher, there were some good suggestions for managing food when access is difficult on the travel part of the forum- check out their suggestions! 

Hi, and thanks for all your comments and suggestions, I will see what I do on Tuesday, and I will find the way.

Now I am back from my dinner and I am still on track !. I had just a few pieces of sashimi. I had to go through the typical comment of "a little piece of this or a scoop of ice cream will not do anything if you behave during the week". Oh well, that is not the point but it was not worth it trying to explain all of this.

You say people are more concern about food... to be honest I do not see that happening here where I live.  And then the comments about not drinking, again... I ended saying (which is actually true): I am an "all or nothing" person, and for a personal choice right now I am in the "nothing". No one said anything else. Other than that I enjoyed the night, and the company so much.  Somehow I was absolutely convinced that I did not have to eat all that food in front of me, and I did not even have a craving for it. I think it works to think that if you cheat, you have to start over again and it is not worth the effort already made. 

I am going to bed now ! Tomorrow I will be at home as I have lots of work to do. So it is a safe day for me. 

You hit the middle already !!!  :D  :D

Hi... I am here again. 

Today as I said I was working at home, so as I had time I decided to "treat" my self with a yummy lunch. I made roasted pork ribs with veggies. They were cooked on the ribs own fat so I did not add anything. I ate them (delicious) but the problem came an hour later, as I felt like I ate de whole pork (and I could really feel that it was because of the fat) . Five hours later I wasn't even hungry, and I went to the gym... it was hard to work out as I was still feeling that fat in my stomach !!

So, does it mean that I can't tolerate that kind of fat? This is the first time I have had this fat during the whole30. I have had olive oil, nuts, and avocado to get the necessary fats. 

Other than that, Day 8 is almost over!  :)

How was it for you?

I'm glad that you enjoyed the company EsTher! It sounds like you had a fun time, minus some of the comments. As for the rib meat fat, did you put any seasoning on it? Is it possible that it may have been undercooked a little bit? Those could have definitely made you sick, otherwise meat fat may be a problem for you. I applaud you for still working out! I would have totally just given up.

Today was pretty difficult to me. I was at the bagel shop, and lately I've been on register which is fine, but today I was making sandwhiches and it was pretty hard making all this delicious food and not being able to eat any of it. I'm so glad to be home. I feel like I definitely haven't hit Tiger Blood yet. I'm still at normal energy levels, I don't really fill a kick yet, but I also am having a hard time with cravings. I see bread when I close my eyes. I hope that I'm just hitting the cravings stage a little late and Tiger Blood will come soon. I've been good about keeping on track, and I agree EsTher, about how once you get to a certain stage that thought of starting all over pretty much prevents you from cheating. I feel good, and less hair is coming out of the shower for sure, but if I accidentally cheated I would probably cry at the thought of starting these thirty days all over. I'm so stoked to be on the downhill slope!

Hope you girls are doing well and I hope we all have a great Day 17 and Day 9 tomorrow!

Archived