Starting Whole30 on 2/22/14

Jaybird913

Carmen, I did not put any seasoning at all, just salt. That is why I am thinking that it is the meat fat... 

Well, I am the one who applaud you for being so strong at the bagel shop. GOOD GOOD GOOD !!! I don't know if I would be able too... you are the best !! 

As for energy, I do not have a lot either... actually I would say that I am more tired than usual, but I guess it is normal. Things will get better soon I hope. 

Happy Day 17 to you. My boss (my nightmare!! - and not only for the food part ) is coming at 11 !!!  :angry:  :angry:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww thanks EsTher! It definitely was hard, but at least I only work five hour shifts so it wasn't too long. Also, I don't get a lunch break unless I work over five hours so that helped too. Good luck with your boss! and I hope your energy levels pick up!

My energy has still not picked up, but I've been so busy with school that I haven't been sleeping as much as I should. My sleeping hours have been pretty crazy too so I feel like that might be impacting my energy. I'm gonna make some sausages for lunch with some artichoke and then for dinner some leftover chicken and veggies. I have school all night so at least I won't be tempted there. Tomorrow is my cooking day and my last day before the long part of my week. Wednesday my hard day so I just gotta cook a bunch tomorrow and get through Wednesday and Thursday and I should be fine.

I treated myself last night and bought some skirt steaks to make tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. I'm also gonna try garlic mashed potatoes (using cauliflower instead of potatoes). My friend gave me the recipe and it looks super good. I'm just gonna use clarified butter instead of regular butter for the recipe. I think I also might try making some sweet potato fries. We'll see how it goes. I hope you ladies are having a great Day 17 and Day 9! 

EaTher, I have had that reaction to increased fat intake in the past... It wasn't anything that happened repeatedly. I wonder if bodies just get used to processing fat. Yeah, hanging out with good bread smells for five hours would be challenging!

I have energy and every day seems to bring more feelings of satisfaction and, well, wellness, for a lack of a better (or another!) word. I am really slacking on meal planning, though. I had a home filled with good ingredients (a lamb roast nearly defrosted- yum!) and reallly need to gather things so I'm not eating compliant but not particularly tasty food (tomorrow's lunch will be assembled at work-tuna, mayo and some avocado on greens). That actually doesn't sound too bad... But today's weird mix of veggies and eggs (2 meals in a row-ugh!... And I like eggs!) shouldn't be repeated.

So smart of you, Carmen to prep lots with your eye on the future! Happy 9 & 17!

I'm definitely jealous of your energy Gardengirl, although my lack of energy may potentially be because of extreme stress and varied sleep hours. I'm hoping that it improves soon. I am definitely still feeling some serious cravings though so maybe I haven't hit that stage yet.

I'm so glad you girls are doing great! I'm glad you have hit Tiger Blood Gardengirl! 

As for planning, it's nice to make a bunch of meals on one day, but it also means eating a lot of leftovers. I unfortunately can't cook every day, so a definite part of my struggle has been food boredom. I've been trying new recipes, but unfortunately cooking in batches means eating the same food a lot. Hope the rest of the day has gone well for you both! I hope we all have a great Day 18 and Day 10 tomorrow!

Well I hope the day went smoothly for you two! My day was pretty good. I had some leftover for breakfast and lunch and for dinner I made some mixed and sauteed veggies (water chestnuts, spinach, green beans, bell peppers and tomatoes), along with a center steak and garlic cauliflower "potatoes." Basically it was just pureed cooked cauliflower with some clarified butter, chicken stock, salt, pepper, garlic and basil. It was super delicious! 

Tomorrow is my long day which I'm dreading as always. I'm holding out until the end of May when my schedule switches but it's been hard. Thank goodness for my vacation in two weeks and Spring Break after that. Tomorrow will just be a bunch of leftover but I think over the weekend I'll make more cauliflower potatoes because they are delicious, and I might make sweet potato fries :D

I'm definitely still battling the cravings and it didn't help that my bf's mom's bf brought over a bunch of cheese and snacks to the house today. It was not fun being around those temptations. I'm hoping that tomorrow my cravings start to wind down. I find myself randomly thinking about bread or other junk food (like zebra cakes!) all throughout the day and it's been hard. I caught myself thinking about quitting a few times but I'm working hard to stay on track! Another day is pretty much in the books. I'm not going to eat anything else tonight so I consider the day basically over, plus I'm going to bed soon haha.

Yay for Day 19 and Day 11 tomorrow girls. Gardengirl, you and I are nearing the 2/3 marks. We just have to get through the next two days! And EsTher, after today you are 1/3 done with the program! Congratulations to us all!

Hi !... I am back... and I am on track... although my meals have not been really following the template (eating out made it difficult). I told you that with my boss here it would be almost impossible. So, I basically had grilled chicken and veggies all the time. 

I am glad everything is going good for you! You are almost 2/3 !! that is VERY VERY good !

I feel very tired (but I know it is just because of work!) 

Happy Day 20 for you!

Glad to hear you are on track EsTher! I was starting to get worried that you and gardengirl didn't make it and I was going to be left all alone. I'm glad that this week has been manageable for you though! Once your boss leaves it is going to get a whole lot easier. Also days 10 and 11 are the days you are most likely to quit so yay getting through a rough patch!!

I've been better about following the template, except breakfast. I also don't eat breakfast until I'm up for a few hours. I literally cannot stomach food when I get up in the morning. It makes me feel sick, and I can barely swallow down a banana. So for "brunch" today I had an apple and celery sticks. I should have had protein but I literally could not handle any more food.

Lunch was my mashed garlic cauliflower "potatoes," with sausage, so just veggies and meat. Tonight was leftover steak and sauteed veggies. I haven't really eaten good fats today, but honestly I haven't been hungry enough. My appetite has shrunk enormously. However, I've been better than I was about eating more veggies and eating less fruit so that's a step up!

Side note: I had an incredibly strange dream last night about rebellion and defending my family, and I wound up in jail eating candy. Literally all I could think about was oh no! I broke my whole 30. It was weird. Also, cravings have not subsided and I feel like I can better smell bread and sugary things.

But good news! I think I've stopped snoring. I can now sleep with my mouth closed for the first time since I can remember. I love it! I slept better last night too and I think that's because of it.

Happy almost day 20 and day 12 to us! 1/3 of the way done and 2/5 of the way done!

Great day, cruising along.... But very ready for bed! The dreams......YES! I've been having them since day one! They used to be focused on indiscretions, but lately they have been just plain weird! Glad you survived the Tuesday challenge, EsTher!

Happy Day 20 and Day 12 girls! I am definitely having a rough day. I was gone from the house yesterday for about 16 hours and today is gonna be a repeat. All I've been able to think about is sleep. I can't wait to crawl in to bed tonight. They good news is I'm more focused on sleep than food so it's easier to fight off any cravings.

I hope today goes well for both of you! 

Sending positive and healthy thoughts to both of you!  Wow- 20 and 12?!?!  Those sound positively wonderful.... although I truly just feel like I'm just living life, not at all focusing on food.  It has helped that I am not at all hungry between meals and am not tempted at all.  Having written that, I'll likely be drooling over some chocolate tomorrow! 

Wooo Days 21 and 13! That definitely sounds impressive! I am definitely focusing on making sure meals are prepared, however, the cravings are not what they once were. so that is fantastic! Also I wore an outfit that did not look good on me three weeks ago which looked pretty cute today so that was fantastic. I'm definitely still hungry between meals but I think it's because I'm not eating huge meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I try to but I feel like I'd be force-feed. I get hungry often, but it's easily satiated. I did, however, snack all the time before this. Now I turn a snack into a little meal so sometimes I'm eating four meals which still isn't too bad compared to how often I used to eat.

I definitely try to eat until I'm full, but sometimes I'm just hungry again at random times. I think it also might be stemming for the stress. I'm exhausted and hungry and so busy with coursework, working and interning that it's been really hard for me. I don't fill an energy kick but I'm also way busier and more stressed than I've been lately so that could definitely be why. Oh, and I'm really kicking out sugar. Some fruit I can handle, like an apple, because those aren't too sweet. I actually thought they were too bitter before and now they are just right haha, but I had some apricot halves today for part of my lunch and they were pretty gross. They were just way too sweet, so that's encouraging!

I hope your days go great girls!! Gardengirl, after today we will have completed three whole weeks and will only have a Whole 9 left! EsTher you are almost halfway! Just two-ish more days and you will be hitting the downhill slope! Congratulations to us all! I'm so stoked we have made it this far!

Hi girls. I am happy I made it to the weekend. I had a company event today so I had to manage a lunch full of non compliant food, so I did not eat. This is really not helping at all. I mean, although I am not cheating, I am not doing things right, and I think that is also the reason I am so tired. So, hopefully the weekend is better ! 

Gardengirl, I love what you say about living life and not focusing on food. I just CAN'T do that. I am always thinking about food. It is the same feeling I use to have when I was totally out of control (just thinking all the time about what to eat), but it the opposite way. Not sure if I am explaining myself properly, but it is just killing me. 

I am very proud of you ! Happy last week  !!!!!!!! 

Oh EsTher, I know exactly what you are talking about! Last August, when I did my first W30, I was on vacation for pretty much the whole month and I did nothing but (okay, little else) than obsess about what food, when, how much, etc... Constantly! This is a real shift for me, and makes me see this whole thing as a part of a much longer process with lots of opportunities for learning about what really feeds me (okay, and how much!).

At the grocery store tonight, I caught myself almost automatically turning to head down the aisle where the really good chocolate is located. I. noted a little giddy excitement inside (uh, yes, I indeed used to - not so long ago- go down the aisle often and try to talk myself out of buying chocolate; usually not so successfully). Those feelings are certainly not buried very deeply. What was very different is tonight, I felt really objective about it- like "there's the chocolate; meh, I don't have a need for that" as if I was talking about buying dental floss or something.

EsTher! I was obsessing about food in the beginning too, but today I noticed a huge change. I was at work again, surrounded by bagels and they just did not look good anymore. I definitely still want to be able to eat my bread and cheese once I'm done with the program, but the craving is really starting to go away! I'm excited!! 

I think that I would try to stay on whole 30 and do whole 45 if it weren't for the fact that I'm leaving for Hawaii shortly after completing the program. I'm gonna be eating out every day and it would just be way too hard. Plus I'm going with my sister and a bunch of girls and we are definitely gonna party! 

Gardengirl, I totally have that same objective feeling! I feel like I can look at food and me like meh, whatever. I think what helps too is during my craving period I was really thinking about what a  bite of bread would do to me. I was telling myself that I would be happy for one minute and then I would literally be depressed for weeks about giving up. I think after realizing that, I"m like okay, not going to quit. I need to see this through! Plus I've noticed my focus is way better which is fantastic!

My boyfriend started Whole 9 today to support me for my last nine days! And my sister started whole 9 yesterday so I feel like I have more support in my daily life. I'm excited to see how my boyfriend fares. My sister has done whole 9 before so I'm not worried about her. She was the one whole told me about whole 30 :) 

Happy Day 22 and Day 14!! Woooooo, those numbers look great :)

I hope that feeling comes to me soon, now it just seem so difficult to me. It is like food controls me anyway (before and during the whole30). What I realize now is that I will have to maintain this way longer... I do not think that 30 days is going to heal my problem. I mean, I can see for sure that I am better doing this, but at the same time I feel that once I am done, a little piece of anything non compliant will take me out of control. I am really afraid of that happening. 

Anyway, I will just focus on every single day at a time, or at least try to. 

Happy Day 22 for you !

Side note: I have a recipe that I strongly recommend that I just made for dinner!!!

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/09/16/breakfast-stuffed-peppers/

So they are stuffed breakfast peppers but I totally had them for dinner. I thought they were a little boring so I added more to them. I stuffed my bell peppers with spinach, mushrooms, onions, some garlic powder, sausage and then the egg. They were pretty much amazing! I can't wait to make them again! I definitely needed a good new recipe because I've been fighting with some serious food boredom!

EsTher! I can definitely see worrying about going crazy when this is over. I think that following the strict re-introduction program might help though. Only one food group a day, and after that day you go back to whole 30 for two days. Then a new food group for a day and back to whole 30. You might find that some foods you cut out don't bother your system. That way you can expand your food choices and still eat healthy. Another idea might be eating whole 30 style five days out of the week, and having two days where you can add some of those food groups back in. If you only give yourself certain days each week where you can eat bread, for instance, it will be harder to lose control entirely. You can even have one day a week where you don't eat compliant foods. 

With that said, I totally support you going through this program longer. When I was in the stage you are in all I could think about is food. I'm sure that it will pass, and hopefully, going through the program or even doing it longer will help you stop craving those foods. You also will hopefully fall into a rhythm. I have one day a week where I cook for most of the rest of the week and weekend. If you have a free day you could try to just cook several meals. It means eating leftovers, however, it might make the week easier if you know you have planned meals. Hope any of this helps! Get through the cravings! They will get better!

Sending you and gardengirl positive thoughts!

Hi ladies, looking good here at day 23! Yesterday was a compliant, but not at all ideal day for me. I woke up still full from the night before and had breakfast 3 hours after waking, lunch (with no protein!) a few hours later, then no food or drink until 10pm. I worked a charity auction and ended up bringing 1/3 of an enormous 5-layer (!) cake home. My car smelled so good, but I really wanted real food! I ate the same food for dinner as lunch (again, no protein), and have been paying for it today! I'm ready for meal 2 and feeling famished, which isn't how I normally feel. I'm in need of some good meals that adhere to the template precisely!

I often write food specifics in my log, but I'll share the tasty lunch/dinner here now since it was so easy and tasty; definitely more than the sum of its parts.

Dice up one onion and cook in about 2 T. Coconut oil with about 1/2 t. salt over medium heat until translucent;

Add: 1t. ground coriander, 1 T. minced ginger and 2 cloves minced garlic... Stir a bit, then add 4 c. Chicken broth, one big sweet potato (the orange kind all diced up (Mine was about 11/3 pounds), cover and cook about 10 minutes. I used the stick bender to cream part of it at this point, Add 1/4 t. Chipotle powder and 3 T. Sunflower butter and one 14oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes; stir well, bring to a boil and cook over low heat for about 10 more minutes. I had intended to add a bunch of roasted chicken I knew was in the freezer, but couldn't find it.

You could use fresh tomatoes in lieu of the canned. Oh, and salt... It needed lots more salt!

EsTher, I didn't participate the the "log" portion of these forums the first time around and I think doing so now has really been good support for me. It has provided (or encouraged) more reflection, a different sort of commitment level for some reason, and gives me a chance to later look back on the experience and see what was consumed, how I felt, and other pertinent events occurring while doing this experience. Others can provide feedback to you as well.

Carmen thanks a lot for all your comments, for sure it helps! 

I guess the fact that I am not going through my best personal moment also affects. Having said that, I also know that it is better that I am doing this at this moment, because otherwise I would be eating like crazy. 

Today I stayed at home just to keep me far from temptations. I just talked to my mom on the phone (she lives back home 12.000 kms away) and I yelled at her with no reason. I even told her that I do not want her to visit me as we planned before. Crazy as it sounds. 

Oh well... a few more hours and one more day is over. 

Are you including some enjoyable non food "de-stressors" as a part of this experience? I'm thinking a nice long soak in a hot tub, scheduling in a daily walk or doing whatever you find relaxing and renews you. Drastically changing what, when and how you eat is certainly stressful... and that can show up in so many ways; through emotion, physical symptoms or, as we have all experienced, in our dreams. Or, maybe you need some space of your own for a bit... Mom can enter the picture when you are feeling ready. All the best to you!

Happy Day 23 and Day 15 girls!!! 

EsTher! I definitely agree on the de-stressing activities. It's really hard to give up the food you want to eat. It's definitely made me go crazy sometimes so it's important to be able to relax. I think that your brain is having a hard time right now being told it can't eat what it wants to. Fight that urge, take a nice bath or curl up with a good book. Do some yoga! It will help you unwind :)

Today was a treat for me. I went over to my parent's house and my dad made dinner. He's been super supportive so he made a whole 30 compliant meal. We had ribs, tri-tip, artichoke, squash and salad. It was delicious. I haven't felt this satisfied in a while. I think it's because I have mostly been eating chicken and turkey during this whole 30 and I missed my red meat. Tomorrow is leftovers and then Tuesday is my final big cooking day before whole 30 is over! That sounds great :)

I'm already starting to think about my re-intro plan. I think I'm gonna go with dairy first. Dairy is super easy to separate from other food groups and I miss my cheese. I haven't decided more than that but I'm pretty excited to only have about a week left. Today was day two for my boyfriend. He hates it so much. He's always been a meat and potatoes kind of guy so it's definitely been a struggle for him but I'm so proud he is trying! 

Here's to tomorrow: Day 24 and Day 16!!! It's so great we have made it so far!

Gardengirl I think we were writing at the same time yesterday, as I did not see your post and now it is there on top of mine  :o

Anyway, thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help. I will try that de-stressing activities. Actually last weekend I went to the hairdresser as a "gift" to myself for a week of accomplishment and my hair cut was a disaster haha ( I did not laugh at the time, I am ok now)

I went to bed at 9 pm yesterday, just needed to call it a day. I have slept so good ! So I am ready to start a new day now.

Happy last week to you !!!

Happy Day 24 and Day 16 girls! I hope today has gone smoothly for both of you. Today was hard for me. I slept very poorly last night at my parent's house. My puppy was freaking out because they have cats and he was roaming around all night and it was seriously miserable. I've been super cranky all day and of course I left early to go to class tonight so I could stop by whole foods to get coconut aminos and they had just sold out. I'm just ready for this day to be over. 

I had skillet eggs for breakfast which was good and some leftovers for lunch and dinner. Tomorrow I'm going to cook, but I needed the aminos to make the marinade for my chicken so I guess I'm going to have to rethink it, get something to replace it or just wait to cook it. I can make other things tomorrow but after an unhappy morning, I just don't need this right now. I'm definitely struggling today and really wish I could have some bread but I'm pushing through. Thank goodness it's the last week!!

I feel way better today! I think I just had a really rough day yesterday! I'm still a little bit tired but after eating I should feel better. I've decided to nix coconut aminos out of the recipe for the wings I want to make. It should be fine with everything else. I'm excited for this day off before the long part of my week. 

I hope you girls are doing great! Happy Day 25 and Day 17!

Well I hope you girls have been doing well and staying busy! Today was pretty good. I made more skillet eggs for breakfast, this time with leftover tri-tip which was awesome. This kind of worked as lunch too since I ate pretty late and then I just wasn't hungry till dinner. I made jalapeno lime chicken wings and mashed cauliflower "potatoes" again. It's so good! I haven't had too much of an appetite today but I think it's because it's my lazy day. I made some extra stuff for the next couple of days. I made a bunch of sauteed veggies, some salmon and sweet potatoes mashed and mixed with applesauce. Tomorrow and Thursday I'm gonna be gone all day so as long as I don't run out of food I should be pretty good! 

I'm excited to be so close to being finished but I'm also nervous. I have no idea how my body is going to react to non-compliant food! Hopefully things go well. 

Cheers to Day 26 and Day 18 tomorrow! 

Archived