Boston Marathon

kbtruns

I'm running the Boston Marathon - would like to start Whole30 today (the marathon is 2 months away).  Any thoughts on how this will/will not impact my training?  I've been about 80% Paleo for a few months and would like to go all the way!  Thank you!!

During my first 30 days there was a rough work out patch on day 5/6.  It was a Saturday morning long run and I just struggled all the way just wanting to stop.  Since then I have never looked back.  I have lost 10 pounds and my FTP number on the bike trainer has climbed significantly.  All these years of runnning and Tri's and I never understood that my nutrition was holding me back.  You will do just fine and happy Boston there is nothing like it. 

During my first 30 days there was a rough work out patch on day 5/6.  It was a Saturday morning long run and I just struggled all the way just wanting to stop.  Since then I have never looked back.  I have lost 10 pounds and my FTP number on the bike trainer has climbed significantly.  All these years of runnning and Tri's and I never understood that my nutrition was holding me back.  You will do just fine and happy Boston there is nothing like it. 

Thank you so much for replying! One more question -- what did you use on long runs instead of a GU type product?  Thanks!

I can't speak from experience since I haven't run the boston marathon but I am a runner and if it were me then I'd probably eat pitted dates since they're soft and don't require much effort to pop into your mouth. You could also chop up larabars into appropriately sized pieces and eat those since they're MOSTLY sugar/carbs.

Hi, I ususally have a hard boiled egg and part of a Laura Bar before the long run ( gone are the powders in the water bottle and all those bagels).  I have a piece of Lara Bar with me but I am trying not to become to dependent on them because they seem like candy and not real food.

I can make a 15 mile or so Saturday long run with the group with only this amount of food but have something to eat right way in my car and off course coffee asap with no cream now.  Who would of figured.

Experiement a bit I do love sweet potatoes baked until the sugars just ozze out.   Dump all those gels with 10,000 grams of sugar.   I still use them in a long race environment.  

Kbtruns, I think you will find that you are less dependent on gels once your body adapts to burning fat more efficiently. I used to bring dates on my training runs, but on my last 20- and 17 miler I didn't need anything but water.

Prepare to be a bit slower. Honestly, fat is diesel and glucose is rocket fuel.

If you are going balls to the wall for a PR you'll want to bring out the gels on race day. I believe in the "train low, race high" (on carbs/glucose) philosophy.

Archived