Anybody else get stomach trouble from coconut aminios?

I've tested and re-tested this theory several times now, always with the same results: coconut aminos really mess up my stomach. I have celiac, and the reaction I get to the aminos feels very much like the reaction I get when I'm accidentally glutened - VERY bloated for at least 2 days, tight, painful stomach, and just overall extremely uncomfortable. Even gluten free baked goods with grains don't hurt me as much as coconut aminos. Like I said, once I suspected they were what was causing that, I didn't have it for a while then mindlessly put some in a stir fry I made the other day. For the last 3 days I've been so uncomfortable and was wracking my brain as to why and then - lightbulb - those damn aminos.

I know they are gluten free so I really don't understand why I get that reaction. All other coconut products are totally fine. I'm rather bummed since excluding them means excluding so many good paleo recipes and limits my diet even further. (Temporarily avoiding eggs, nuts and nightshades to see if it helps my migraines.)

Any idea why this reaction could occur, and/or, anybody else experience this too?

They are fermented, so perhaps you are reacting to the fermentation, and not the coconut. Do you have issues with other coconut products (milk or flakes), or perhaps other fermented products like sauerkraut?

Regardless, it's clear that you don't tolerate them well, so it's best to leave them off your plate altogether. (Which I'm sure you've already decided.)

OMG...I used some tonight in our stir fry and I am sitting here with a horrible bloated feeling and my son was bent over in pain too. I eat cultured kraut and pickles and drink kombucha each day (not all three but I think I did today)...perhaps I went a bit overboard :)

I'm not sure if I get issues from other fermented food because I've not hard sauerkraut. Gluten free soy sauce treats me fine but I knwo it's out. Other coconut products are also fine. I appreciate the tip that it could be the fermentation. My stomach is finally returning to somewhat-normal today so yeah, I'll not be trying it again. Sucks though - no soy sauce or aminos means basically no asian themed meals. Mommyofthree, that's super interesting that you both had that same problem as I did. Have you had coconut aminos before and it was fine or was this your first time? Are you guys feeling any better today?

• 3 months later...

I feel like crap every time I have coconut aminos (I was in denial, because I love them so, so kept hoping it was not them). Turns out that for me it is most likely a histamine intolerance - fermented foods are high on the list of histamine-inducing foods. I don't get migraines as a rule, but in my own research I found that a lot of people cured their migraines by going low-histamine in their diets.

Probably does not help that on Paleo/Whole30 I was loading up on tomatoes, spinach, avocadoes, fish, shellfish, etc., all foods that increase histamine, so when I add coconut aminos it just sends my body into overload. I hope after a time on a low-histamine regimen I can add them back in.

Thought this info might help you figure out what might be happening...

Excuse my ignorance but what is coconut aminos????

I am celiac and lactose intolerant. And i know coconut oil is ok for me, but coconut cream is out :( which is a shame, cos i like it. But i don't like the way it makes me feel......

i guess thats the beauty of this program, i'm learning more and more about what feels good, and what doesn't...........

Coconut aminos is a liquid made from coconut sap that tastes, imo, like a cross between soy sauce and teriyaki sauce and which paleo/wheat-free/gluten-free/soy-free people recommend using in place of soy sauce. Here's the brand I buy at Whole Foods - http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html

It's a fermented product, which causes histamine problems in me, but most people seem to enjoy it without any problems.

• 3 years later...

I am so glad I found this thread!  

Yesterday was day 4 of my first whole 30.  I tried coconut aminos for the first time with my lunch.  I used a small amount because I was not sure if I would like it.  My stomach hurt almost immediately.  It was a sharp pain with what seemed like a sore spot (?), followed by gas/bloating, vomiting, and diarrhea.  I have never had such a strong reaction to a food.  My family ate everything I ate EXCEPT coconut aminos and they were all fine.  Today the pain has subsided but my stomach still feels off.  I am going to avoid all things coconut for the rest of my Whole 30 because I do not want to risk feeling as I did yesterday.  I was out of commission for most of the day! 

I don't usually post in forums, but it was so hard to find documentation on negative reactions to coconut aminos online (I found one amazon review containing a stomach complaint ) that I felt obligated to contribute my experience.    

It may not be the coconut, but the histamine as it's a fermented food.

You may get a similar reaction to Kombucha, vinegar and other fermented foods, so go gently.

Some people are allergic to coconut though, so if you have any other coconut reactions, I'd stop eating it.

Also double check your labels too, some "coconut aminos" have very different ingredients. The safe one is Coconut Secret, but I've been burned a few times ordering online and getting a product with a lot of weird stuff in it. I also had a health food store give me Braggs Aminos, which is not compliant at all.

I hope you feel better soon :)

I don't think my reaction is related to histamine because I take raw acv and/or drink kombucha quite often.  I bought my Coconut Secret at Whole Foods Market.  I am feeling much better, but I am sad at the thought of being coconut intolerant!  I am not sure what else it could be…perhaps the coconut sap contains something not found in actual coconuts?  I am going to give a week and build up the courage to make tom kha but the aminos are banned in my kitchen for all eternity.  Thanks for your reply!

• 9 months later...

I bought my  first bottle of coconut aminos yesterday. I got it home and tasted it. Yum -the best condiment ever! I proceeded to dump it all over my stirfry at dinner and it was delicious ! ...however, I woke up in middle the night with excruciating pain in my belly chest and lots of burping and gas .I have not felt this bad in a very long time.  I had some peppermint tea in the pain lessened somewhat for a little while but now it's back. I'm going to try charcoal capsules. There's definitely something in Coconut amino that is not good for some of us I do not have a problem with coconut oil or any other kind of coconut juice I use it all the time. I also eat a lot of fermented foods -sauerkraut, pickles, kefir and kombucha at least 1-2 of those daily.

I am certain it is not the coconut, and fermented products make me feel good, so what is the issue with coconut aminos? Some chemical reaction creating a substance that is no good:( banned from my diet forever.

i will let you know how the charcosl capsules work... if i can just find them...

On 10/10/2016 at 9:01 AM, Greenjuice said:

I will let you know how the charcosl capsules work... if i can just find them...

I'm definitely interested in how that goes. I have FODMAP issues, the symptoms of which sounds exactly like what is described here. And due to another digestive disorder I get extra pain from these symptoms due to the pressure build up. Would love to know if charcoal works as a remedy. I don't know anything about it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm on day 18 and have used Liquid Aminos twice. I use it in stir fry.

So the other day I had some gas which surprised me cuz my "regularity" is more regular than I can remember. But this gassy situation will take more observation. I also used bok choy which is a cabbage....which might also create a gassy gut.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Crazygrazing said:

I'm on day 18 and have used Liquid Aminos twice. I use it in stir fry.

Just to clarify, Liquid Aminos and Coconut Aminos are two different things. Bragg's Liquid Aminos are not compliant due to soy. 

If you just had a little gas once, there's also the chance that it's from carbonated water, drinking water through a straw, or eating or drinking too quickly -- it isn't always just to do with what you eat. If it bothers you, do keep track and see if it seems to happen with certain foods, but just know it may not be easy to figure out exactly what's causing it.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Crazygrazing said:

Shannon, I have Bragg Organic Coconut Liquid Aminos All Purpose Seasoning. It says it's is soy-free. Maybe a new Bragg product???

Must be something new, it's been a few years since I checked out their products since they weren't compliant before and I could find Coconut Secrets pretty easily here.

• 3 weeks later...

I was curious about this too. Bragg has a coconut liquid aminos product now. Is it whole30 approved? I’m leaning towards No since ingredients include coconut nectar And it states “not fermented” in another place on the bottle. I’m new to this, anyone have more experienced opinion? 

On 7/11/2018 at 4:52 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Must be something new, it's been a few years since I checked out their products since they weren't compliant before and I could find Coconut Secrets pretty easily here.

On 7/11/2018 at 3:37 PM, Crazygrazing said:

Shannon, I have Bragg Organic Coconut Liquid Aminos All Purpose Seasoning. It says it's is soy-free. Maybe a new Bragg product???

• Moderators

Hi, @FaithfullyStumbling. All coconut aminos contain coconut nectar, though some brands list it as sap, so this brand would be like any other brand, and would be compliant for Whole30.

This article came out when the decision was made to allow any coconut aminos on the plan and explains a little more:   https://whole30.com/2017/03/chips-and-aminos/  

• 1 year later...

I'm so glad I found this! Like someone else mentioned, it's hard to find anything other than praise and a list of the benefits of coconut aminos. I've been doing AIP for the last 3 months or so and began to notice that sometimes after eating, my hands would swell and I would get a headache. I narrowed it down to whenever I ate the Asian style recipes and suspected either the fish sauce or coconut aminos. Of course, I decided it was probably the fish sauce since the coconut aminos are so healthy. My hands stopped swelling once I eliminated the fish sauce. I found a gluten-free Worcestershire sauce recipe (which calls for coconut aminos). I made a dish that called for two tablespoons of my homemade Worcestershire sauce and...every time I eat it, I get a headache and feel blah. I truly think I'm allergic to the coconut aminos and I'm flabbergasted! But I see that others experience other problematic symptoms so it doesn't feel so unbelievable now.

Archived