Starting Whole 30 on Monday, Feb. 24th

stephaniebuchanon2010

Hi!  My name is Stephanie and I am starting the Whole 30 program on Monday, Feb. 24, 2014.  My doctor is concerned that I have an intolerance or an allergy to wheat, so he's suggested to me to try the program for 30 days to see if that helps with my sinus problems and allergies.  I'm very excited to be taking this important step to improving my health and would appreciate all the support, help, and encouragement that I can get!  Thanks!  :)

I'm starting on 2/24 too! This will be my 2nd time and I'm really looking fwd to it. I did my first one last year and I felt great, but I'm ashamed to admit I have really let myself go since then. I need to reset my body, slay my sugar demons (again) and regain control.

We can do this!

That is so awesome that doctors are recommending this to patients. Just another step in the right direction as far as our healthcare is concerned. That's just so great!!  :D 

I completed my first Whole30 successfully in April of last year. All I can say is it was the best life experience ever. I'll be starting another Whole30 this Monday, the 24th with my roommate this time! Just moved to Savannah from our small college town nearby and are starting new jobs at hospitals here. I finally have a roommate/close friend who is ready and willing to go on this journey again with me :)
I have fallen back into my old habits again. It's just so frustrating to think about the strides I made in fitness level, diet habits, etc...and then looking at me now, I'd never be able to tell. I'm just done with it, and it's time to get it together again and KEEP it together this time. I don't think the 30 days was enough for me. 

I'll be posting on here throughout THIS 30 days. I found it helped SO incredibly much to chat with others on the same day as I was, swapping stories, recipes, supporting each other when we really felt like throwing in the towel (which honestly didn't happen all that often. you feel so great, you don't want to stop the magic)!! The countdown to DAY 1 has begun. 4 days and then we start! 

Good luck to y'all & feel free to send good vibes our way over here please. Hopefully some more people will hop on this thread.

Ashley 

I LOVE that we have a young recent college grad on this string!  I feel like i'm trying to reverse years of damage that started in my college years!

I'm shopping/prepping and cleaning out the house this weekend getting ready for Monday.  My daughter's birthday party is tomorrow. After that last bite of birthday cake and glass of wine I am off (with all of you) to reclaim my health!  Sooo looking forward to this!!  I learned so many things along the way last time, that I think this time will be easier to get in the groove and keep up these good habits beyond the 30

Ready 224 Gang?!  LET'S OWN THIS!

I'm starting a second one also.  I was only off a week and that was enough to make me feel bad and start planning a second!  My body was much happier when I was on.

It's great that your doctor recommended this diet.  My husband has autoimmune issues and his doctor shrugged when my husband asked if changing his diet would help  :(

If you are having sinus/allergy problems, it might also be dairy too.  Good luck!

Hi Stephanie:

Congratulations for making that life changing decision as I see it!!

I have been trying to treat pre-hypertension without medication but have been unsuccessful and it has been frustrating. I heard about the paleo lifestyle from my best friend who lives in NJ and is a crossfit coach. I told her this lifestyle seemed too extreme for me and never took it on. Two weeks ago I finally decided to try paleo and it has been wonderful. My blood pressure finally went down a bit and this made me incredibly happy.

This morning whilst on YouTube and reading some paleo videos I came across the whole30 and decided to read up on it. It sounds amazing and it will be something that will benefit me greatly. I have decided to start tomorrow and look forward to to us succeeding......Good luck!!

Hi stephaniebuchanon2010!

Best wishes to you on your W30!  My sinus infection which I had been fighting since,

listen carefully, early November, has disappeared!  It started to clear up by day 3 and

felt totally gone a couple of days later!  

I hope your sinus issues clear up soon!!!!   I'll be checking in on you to see how you're feeling

after you start!  

Best wishes to you!   :D

Hey everyone! I am starting my first go at Whole30 tomorrow. I'm pretty excited. I have always eaten pretty healthy but over the last year things have gone downhill and I've gained about 30lbs. I'm hoping to get back into the healthy eating lifestyle again and think Whole30 will be a perfect way to do it!

A little about myself...I'm 30 and in med school. I know for me to be able to counsel my patients, I need to lead by example. My boyfriend will be doing this with me. The only obstacle I can forsee is that my birthday is in 2 weeks. I am just going to have to be strong and stay with whole30 as a birthday gift to myself.

Good luck to everyone and I'm excited to get to know you all over these next 30 days!!!!

Starting my third Whole30 (did first one impeccibly, second one, not so much)  I feel at my best when eating Whole30 perfectly, with NO GRAY areas. Its the gray- where I start to fail, when I start fudging and give my self some leeway. I must admit though, between each attempt it gets easier and less gray and I am learning so much about my self and my journey to health.

On a happy note, since last September and my first Whole30 I have lost 19 pounds and many inches. I never want to gain it back and a Whole30 lifestyle is worth every pound/inch!

Looking forward to joining a group on the same journey...

Best of health to all!

My wife and I started yesterday, so I will tag along in this group.  I started a journal too.  It looks like we all will have plenty of support for this.  Having done the HCG diet in the past, I know deprivation pretty well! lol

Hi Sandi,

Congrats to starting today!!! Meals and planning are the toughest. The biggest trick is to make sure you do plenty of pre-planning and preparing so you aren't hitting that 'starving' part of the day where all will be lost!

Get online, there are so many great Whole30 sites/recipes to choose from.

Good luck!

Speaking of starving, I had to have a snack just now.  I am only on Day 2.  Made it ok on Day 1 without snacking, but today about 4 hours after I ate lunch, I got really hungry.  Luckily my wife warned me this might happen, and I brought in 2 boiled eggs in case it did.

Does this mean I should have had more at lunch?

Speaking of starving, I had to have a snack just now.  I am only on Day 2.  Made it ok on Day 1 without snacking, but today about 4 hours after I ate lunch, I got really hungry.  Luckily my wife warned me this might happen, and I brought in 2 boiled eggs in case it did.

Does this mean I should have had more at lunch?

Maybe.  We generally want your meals to satiate for you 4-5 hours, so it sounds like you were right on track.

What did you have for breakfast and lunch today?  Did you do any exercise?  Staying hydrated with water?

Chris, thanks for helping.

At 8 am, I had leftover ground beef in a bowl, mixed in together with a scrambled egg, mushrooms and onions...all were cooked in ghee.

At 12:30, I had 3 chicken breast medallions, some broccoli slaw (both cooked in coconut oil), with a few cashews sprinkled on top...and an apple

4 or so, I had 2 boiled eggs.

Only exercise was a 20 minute walk with my dog at a pretty good pace.

I have had 4 16 oz glasses of water so far

Hello my name is Sandi and I just started today.  I'm still nervous and curious as what I can eat.  I do good for breakfast and lunch but completely fall apart when I'm at home at night.  

Hi Sandi - Like others mentioned - preparation is key.  If you do that you will do great!  

One of the things I learned my last W30 was to always plan extra for dinner so that there would be leftovers.  I would do something like put a large roast in the crock pot, or broil extra salmon fillets with several different veggies going.  The veggies would get tossed in an egg scramble the next morning and the meat would top my salad the next day.  That system worked wonders for me.

Also, I stopped thinking of typical breakfast foods and would eat the leftover salmon or pork chops for breakfast if it was available.  That actually satisfies me longer anyway.

This time I made myself 3 "go to" meals for each part of the day just in case I really blow it and need to eat something - for example, a can of compliant tuna, or a compliant chicken sausage in the freezer.

Day 1 for me and I'm super excited to get back on track.

Good luck to everyone in the group!

Hi stephaniebuchanon2010!

Best wishes to you on your W30!  My sinus infection which I had been fighting since,

listen carefully, early November, has disappeared!  It started to clear up by day 3 and

felt totally gone a couple of days later!  

I hope your sinus issues clear up soon!!!!   I'll be checking in on you to see how you're feeling

after you start!  

Best wishes to you!   :D

I am on day 8 and notice a HUGE difference with my sinus issues.  Like you I have been dealing with it for a long time. 

Thanks for the welcome.  I was hungry today but I think it was more knowing I shouldn't eat as being hungry.  I lift weights today as my workout (took about 30 minutes). Don't always get the cardio in like I should.  I had an  3 small egg and veggie frittatas and an apple for breakfast.  some nuts and jerky a 3 hours later then a salad with chicken for lunch at noon then a small orange and nuts for a snack. asparagus and pork chops and blueberries for dinner (and I'm stuffed).  I still need to work on pre planning my dinners as breakfast is made for the week and lunch is a salad (peppers, mushrooms, avocado, tomatoes, spinach, lettuces and chicken).  I know I need to stop the snacking but I still worry I'm not eating enough so I eat more (if that makes sense)  I'm a work in progress but will keep at it and I am eating all the healthy foods

Hi everyone. I started on Feb 24th, too, first time doing W30. Ate clean all day but felt like a truck hit me -- got home from work, barely had the energy to throw together some lettuce/turkey/avocado wraps, say hi to my family and by 9:30 -- in bed and passed out! On the plus side, woke up at 5 am this morning completely rested. I'm doing this because a. my weight's gotten out of control and b. I've suffered from eczema on my hands for about 20 years and am tired of relying on steroid Rx solutions to clear it up. Here's hoping I can heal through food. Good luck to everyone else on their Day 2 today.

ok anyone who can help me with traveling and whole 30?  We are going to an archery tournament next weekend (day 14 ish).  I will be ok for sat morning as I can eat at home before we leave and bring a salad for lunch (5 hour car trip) but Im not sure what to do for dinner and then all meals the next day.  I didn't think my daughter would go to this tournament so I didn't think to wait to start the whole 30.  any tips would be great

Archived