My first week was incredible-I feel so dumb!

jcottman

I finished my first week. It's one of those moments when you just feel so dumb. Not for the present goodness that you are feeling, but for the past ignorances of calorie counting, point negotiating, and overall failures that you have experienced. It's like meeting the man of your dreams, and realizing that the dysfunctional loves of your past weren't worthy. It's so different when you find out the truth. 

Being ready for true love is part of it, and it is the same for health.  My "ready" was a little more involved than most. I have recently recovered from a life or death surgery that sprung up three months ago: open heart valve replacement- it is congenital, and after divine intervention of doctors, and surgeons, and universal intersections I am alive. Being alive is amazing, but going thru the recovery process has really taken a toll on my body- pain meds, care givers (not so healthy) cooking, and lethargy for about two months. My body, mind and spirit has been racked, and there were definite moments of depression and thoughts of "What if I never get healthy?" I called my friend about two weeks ago, and said "okay, I am ready!" She introduced me to the book, and I prepared my food and mind and committed to NOT slipping, or cheating.

I started Feb. 12. Tomorrow will be a week. Let me tell you that going thru the Valentine weekend, and my boyfriends birthday of celebration- was NOT hard. I haven't been tempted, nor have I felt hungry. My boyfriend's teenage daughter said: "Sneak a brownie...when nobody is looking?" I laughed and said, "Who am I sneaking it from? I am the only one who cares if I cheat or not, and I care." She laughed, and said, "Just forget." It was cute, but profound at the same time. I am doing this for me.

So far so good. I have had a few headaches...but I chalk that up to the toxin purge. Mostly, I have energy. I have hope that not only my heart is full of pumping blood and oxygen, but I am creating space in my body for renewed energy. I  am going to be healthy again, and I am one week into a totally new phase. Can't wait for the next few weeks.  

I know how you feel jcottman, and I love your "man of your dreams" analogy, it's perfect and it explains why this thing is so easy to stick to. I've just started my second Whole30, but during the first one, after realising how easy and right it felt to eat this way, I was asking myself, "What was I doing with the other 26 years of my life?!". Also, a bit scarier, if I didn't even know how to eat properly, what else am I doing wrong? We need such big changes in our societies.

Good luck and best of health to you.

Thanks, Paddlepop. It's so true what you say about our ignorant lives. We are so conditioned to just keep moving forward, and not take a breath to question. Life gets overwhelming, and it's important to ask the question "Why?" I am on day 9 and I haven't "slipped" once. Why would I cheat on true love? :) 

We really need to get the word out! We can do this...

Archived