feeling guilty

aledo56

Today's Day 31 and I gotta be honest.  I completely rocked my 30 days.  I lost 22 lbs and about 3 inches on my waist.  (Now, I could stand to lose plenty more, but one step at a time).  I feel great.  My clothes fit better.  I've even caught myself *gasp* reading the ingredients, without thinking about it.  So, the problem is, today I had about a tablespoon of cream in my coffee with honey, and then I had some shredded cheese on my otherwise compliant salad at lunch today.  Just done eating lunch, so I don't know if I'll have a side effect, but even if I don't, I just can't shake the feeling that I am WILLINGLY erasing all the hard work I've done over the past 30 days. 

I know I can't eat Whole 30 forever and I know the Whole 30 process calls for a reasonable reintroduction process, but I feel like a little kid trying to get rid of floaties while learning to swim.  The rules actually became comforting to me because I could always fall back on them.  Is this just me?  Maybe I have some serious insecurities here, but honestly, I'd almost rather face a sugar craving again than deal with this.  At least with a sugar craving, I could just say No, because it flat wasn't allowed.  Now, if I want a little cheese, (or later, beans, or whatever), I can have them just in moderation, and I don't like that gray area... 

I just recently finished my first Whole 30, and expirenced the same feelings that you are having. I had to come to grips that everything wasn't going to stay perfect with every situation you face. I feel that you might have a little cream in your coffee sometimes, but as long as you don't let it give you the feeling of I ruined everything I just did. Have you planned out your reintroduction schedule? You do want to stay compliant through this as well!

Don't get frustrated, and if something makes you feel this way, maybe it is better left out of food choices. Hope this is at least comforting to know that you are not alone! Stay strong and motivated, the last 30 days are an awesome start to so many great things to come! :)

• Moderators

I eat Whole30-style whenever it is within my power to do so, but I eat what is available when I am traveling or in places where my choices are limited. So, I would never add cream and honey to my coffee, but I might eat pizza in an airport when that is the simple choice. I do things this way because I want to nourish myself with as much healthy food as I can, but not make my life complicated by packing my own food with me all the time. 

There is no need for guilt! You did the whole30 so now you know how various foods effect you, and you get to make choices about when you consume them. If you choose to eat it, then own that choice. It doesn't make you a bad person. Now, if you consistently make short-term choices that don't support your long-term goals, that could be a problem, but guilt won't fix it.  ;)

I eat Whole30-style whenever it is within my power to do so, but I eat what is available when I am traveling or in places where my choices are limited. So, I would never add cream and honey to my coffee, but I might eat pizza in an airport when that is the simple choice. I do things this way because I want to nourish myself with as much healthy food as I can, but not make my life complicated by packing my own food with me all the time.

This is exactly what I am thinking I will try to do, you just summed it up beautifully (currently day 2 of reintroduction post 1st whole30)

I have also felt the post W30 guilt when I eat something non-compliant.  I am anxious to do another W30, I can't wait!  I just don't want to start one now due to my soon to be travels to another country. So, I'm now one week post W30 and I've had some dairy, rice, gluten...digestively, done ok.  It's the guilt that gets me.  I think I'm only having those things because "I can"...SO, today I'm stopping the unecessary things...making the right choices for me.  Sort of like what Tom said...doing it when it's in my power.  Glad I signed on here today to read some of these feeds!  Thanks guys. 

Archived