Johanna's Food Log

JohannaE

I'm going to try to be better about posting a food log everyday.  I've been logging it on my blog, but I'm realizing the feedback and accountability of others who have done or are doing the Whole30 would be especially helpful!

Here are the logs I've already posted: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/16661-would-love-input-on-meals-and-portions/

Monday:

• Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with spaghetti squash and chicken sausage
  • Lunch: Sweet Potato and Chicken Sausage hash with a fried egg and avocado
  • Dinner: Creamy Avocado Spaghetti squash with asparagus and smoked salmon (this was amazing!)

Yesterday:

• Pre-workout snack: 1/2 Banana and 1 T Almond Butter
  • Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled with spaghetti squash and chicken sausage, side of zucchini cooked in coconut oil
  • Lunch: Thai Turkey and Zucchini Meatballs with steamed broccoli
  • Pre-workout snack: 1 boiled egg + 1/4 avocado mashed with Frank's
  • Dinner: Paleo Pad Thai with Shrimp

Had seen my energy go down since starting Whole30 and was feeling easily out of breath.  Slowly starting to have more energy and do better in my workouts! 

Meals look good (your dinner on Monday looks especially yummy!)

The only thing I would tweak is your pre-WO: the recommendation is protein and optional fat, no fruit. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. So I would substitute a protein for the banana.

On the energy thing, try making sure you have at least 1 carb-dense veg daily.

Meals look good (your dinner on Monday looks especially yummy!)

The only thing I would tweak is your pre-WO: the recommendation is protein and optional fat, no fruit. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. So I would substitute a protein for the banana.

On the energy thing, try making sure you have at least 1 carb-dense veg daily.

I know, I know... I should be doing a boiled egg!  But some mornings a banana just sounds so much better. 

Silly question, but is spaghetti squash considered carb dense?

I know, I know... I should be doing a boiled egg!  But some mornings a banana just sounds so much better. 

Silly question, but is spaghetti squash considered carb dense?

I believe it's on the lower end. Google says there is 7g of carbs in 1 cup, vs. 27g of carbs for 1 c of sweet potato.

The carb-dense veggies we typically recommend are sweet potatoes, winter squash (acorn, butternut, kabocha), carrots, beets, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

On the preWO protein, lots of folks go for chicken.

Yesterday's log:

• Pre-workout snack: 1 boiled egg and 1 T Almond butter
  • Breakfast: Pastelon (plantain lasagna) with a salad with fruit and almond butter balsamic
  • Lunch: Thai Turkey Zucchini Meatballs with Broccoli 
  • Dinner: Paleo Pad Thai
  • Snack: Buffalo chicken egg white muffin and 1/4 avocado

Tonight my book club met at a cute little French restaurant.  It was the first time since I've started the Whole30 that I went to a social gathering centered around food.  I know that sounds crazy 17 days in, but I just haven't really been going out.  I did look at the menu beforehand to see if there would be anything that wouldn't be too difficult to modify, but the place used a lot of wine and butter in sauces and in the end I decided it would just be easier to eat before I went.  Of course it's awkward to sit at a table of ten people and be the only one not eating or drinking, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.  Most of them already knew that I'm halfway through a Whole30, so there weren't too many questions asked.  Since I ate dinner at 5:30 and spent two hours watching people eat delicious French food, I did need a compliant snack when I got home.  

Yesterday's log:

• Pre-workout (spin class) snack: 1/2 banana and a bit of almond butter
  • Breakfast: Sweet potato and chicken sausage hash with two fried eggs, avocado and steamed broccoli
  • Pre-workout (kettlebell class) snack: 1 boiled egg with a bit of almond butter
  • Lunch: Thai Turkey Zucchini meatballs with steamed broccoli
  • Dinner: Paleo Sushi (cauliflower rice) with smoked salmon, avocado and veggies; zucchini hummus with fresh veggies; deviled egg with avocado filling

Then last night my craft brew club met.  This usually entails a good bit of drinking and snacking.  I'd planned to again eat ahead of time since I figured it would be easier, but my friend who was hosting was being super nice finding all sorts of paleo appetizers to try, so I figured I'd give it a go. I made myself a plate of food, but then I continued to snack.  Mindless snacking, especially at events like this, are one of the things I'm really trying to overcome with the Whole30.  Sure, it's no problem when you're eating 95% veggies, but that's not usually the food I'm snacking on.  So while I was proud of myself for staying 100% compliant and watching friends drink delicious craft beers, I was a little disappointed in myself for snacking.  Definitely something I still need to work on.

Also, the amount of veggies I ate (especially the cauliflower I expect) gave me way more stomach problems than gluten ever has... maybe the next Whole30 I replace veggies with beer? ;)

I'm horrbile at keeping up with this log!

Monday:

• Pre-Workout Snack: 1 boiled egg and a bit of almond butter
  • Breakfast: Eggs in Spaghetti Squash Purgatory with Homemade Turkey Sausage
  • Lunch: Coconut Meatballs with Polynesian Sauce and Spicy Coconut Curry Green Beans
  • Snack: 2 boiled eggs
  • Dinner: Sweet Potato stuffed with Paleo Chocolate Chili with avocado and a power green salad with blackberries, walnuts and peach tahini dressing

Tuesday:

• Pre-Workout Snack: 1 boiled egg and 1 T almond butter
  • Breakfast: Fried eggs, homemade turkey sausage, Brussels sprouts and sweet potato with almond butter
  • Lunch: Coconut Meatballs with Polynesian Sauce and Spicy Coconut Curry Green Beans
  • Dinner: Had friends over for Takeout Tuesday, a tradition we do once a month.  I made sweet potato fries with homemade mayo and bacon wrapped avocado as appetizers and had a Sweet Green salad for dinner (kale and romaine with shrimp, boiled egg, avocado, beets, grapes (they accidentally threw them on there!), tomatoes and pesto viniagrette.

Wednesday:

• Pre-Workout Snack: 1 boiled egg and 1 T almond butter
  • Breakfast: We had a birthday breakfast at work and I made bacon-wrapped egg cups.  Once type was just bacon and egg (I had one) and one type was bacon and egg scrambled with onion, pepper and avocado (I had two). 
  • Lunch: Coconut Meatballs with Polynesian Sauce and Spicy Coconut Curry Green Beans
  • Dinner: Plantain Nachos with Chocolate Chili, Salsa and Guacamole; Side salad with blackberries and homemade tahini dressing

While I did a few things that aren't exactly Whole30 ideal (ate bacon, had appetizers), I feel like in doing so I was making Whole30 work with everyday life which is always a challenge (but possible!)  Bacon makes me feel kind of gross, I don't think I'll be adding it as a regular food item. I'm getting used to that boiled egg first thing in the morning!

Archived