Shall I keep going on after 30 days?

Lyolya

I should probably post this into the 'athletes' section, but I feel like the post should rather go here since I'm trying to resolve a problem. 

I have just finished the Day 26 of my 1st ever Whole 30. What it says about changing my life is absolutely true - you just cannot imagine...

Nonetheless, some of the 'side-effects' of the Whole 30 that I've noticed is that it indeed provides you with a high-octane body: I just ran a half marathon last weekend and did not get tired at all! I am overall fit, but with this goes with little to no prior training so the result has scared me a little bit. 

Thing is, I don't know if I shall go on further. I have a marathon to run in a month, and it will be my 1st one (so as my Whole 30), and I am afraid to lose the 'high octanity' of my body if I start reintroducing and evaluating worthless foods (though I still want these scones!).

Also, a friend has just jumped on a Whole 30 board, and she is running with me, so I could be of help and support to her if I continue.

Also, my 1st Whole 30 has not been perfect: I was acquiring the information on the go, also have occasionally found added sugar or preservatives in some products I was eating (like, who puts added sugar into dried cranberries?!). Also, the thoughts about if I can have a fruit (and I love fruits) make me almost paranoid. I am very strict about what I eat: I won't even have almond milk (what are you, the mysterious 'natural almond flavorings'?) or stuff with 'vegetable oil'.

My family thinks I'm nuts. I don't object.

On the other hand, the Timeline says that Whole 30 is a temporary thing to do, and may be, for my first time, I should not be doing more than 30 days. Also, I'll be leaving the country where I am at now very soon, in a month time, and I really will feel sorry not being able to taste some original things like high tea with scones and clotted cream or a Scotch Egg (the real thing with a real crumble, and not the paleo version of it). Just don't know what to do. 

I was thinking, as a compromise, to do 30 + 6 days (since 36 is my favorite number)...

Any advice welcome.

Thank you.

On the other hand, the Timeline says that Whole 30 is a temporary thing to do, and may be, for my first time, I should not be doing more than 30 days. Also, I'll be leaving the country where I am at now very soon, in a month time, and I really will feel sorry not being able to taste some original things like high tea with scones and clotted cream or a Scotch Egg (the real thing with a real crumble, and not the paleo version of it). Just don't know what to do. 

I was thinking, as a compromise, to do 30 + 6 days (since 36 is my favorite number)...

Any advice welcome.

Thank you.

It sounds like you know what you want to do and I think you probably should do 36 days at the most because food is a huge part of experiencing a culture and I know I'd be very regretful if I were you and left without trying things that I really wanted to try.

First, I would finish your Whole30/36, and then do a controlled reintroduction of any food groups you're either curious about (in terms of your physical/psychological reaction), or that you know you want to eat again.  It sounds like gluten and dairy would be on your reintro list.  :) 

Once you've done that, then you can decide how you want to eat going forward. Unless you have very severe reactions to gluten and dairy, I would enjoy the scones, scotch eggs and clotted cream on your trip.

Also, think about the goals you wanted to achieve while on a Whole30. Once you're done, assess whether you've met all of them or not - that could be a factor in deciding whether to continue. And also being able to maintain what you've achieved is a consideration as well.

Thanks for your opinions, running lawyer and Chris!

I actually don't like dairy, but clotted cream is a part of the pack, so I kind of will stand it as a one-time thing.

The problem is that on the go (every week) I discover new issues, bump into new challenges and psychological reactions and naturally want to deal with these as well. I got on this track leading me to 'perfect me', but I am afraid that this is an endless road, and that it should not be all resolved in one go. 

Archived