Jenski's Journey

jenski

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here comes some tough love. Know that this is because I want you to have the best experience with the program that you can not because I want to be mean. Ready?

You are still not doing a Whole30. I'm glad you are being honest and I'm glad you are making better choices, but if what you want to do is a Whole30 you still have yet to start. 

According to the rules you may not have peas, you may not have fruit juice except for as a sweetener, you may not have diet coke, and you may not have cheese. Now you did state that you are a vegetarian so you may follow the vegetarian shopping list  which means the peas were ok but the cheese, juice and the diet coke are problems. If you are going to follow the vegetarian shopping list than stick to it. If you are willing to eat fish than stick with the regular shopping list and just fish and eggs for protein. 

Your meals look very small to me. We recommend using the Whole30 template to make meals using the size of your palm and thumb as guides. A serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. For me that is 3-4 and I'm pretty small. 

I would advice you to ditch the soft drinks and juice and start again at day 1. You are making great progress and I know you can do this all out! 

I would re-read the chapter on vegetarian Whole30 in your book to answer your questions. I honestly think I skipped it (and it was a year ago I last read it) as I'm not a vegetarian. You could also browse through the Whole30 for vegetarians section of the forum to see if there are answers there. Are you sensitive to other fermented foods or just yogurt and kefir? It sounds to me like you are sensitive to whey not lactose probably. I believe fermented dairy is OK because the lactose is mostly counterbalanced by the fermentation. Many people who are lactose intolerant can handled fermented dairy. I do believe that making cheese removes the whey so this might be why you can eat that. Are you willing to eat seafood or are eggs and dairy the only animal products you are willing to do? 

If you are struggling to meet the minimum of the template at meals then what I would suggest is preparing a template meal and eating as much of it as you can and saving the rest for a mini meal when you feel hungry again. Many people find they need to do 4-5 smaller meals until their bodies adjust to the larger portions. As your body heals and adjusts you should be able to eventually handle 3 template meals a day.

That's a much better meal 1. Don't forget about the vegetables though. Fruit shouldn't push veggies off your plate and the avocado is counted as a fat. However that is a very good sized meal. Were you able to eat it in one sitting or did you split it up? My favorite first meal is 3-4 eggs scrambled into sauteed kale with some raw sauerkraut and maybe an orange if I'm still hungry. My 2nd favorite first meal (which I've not had in a while) is 1/2 an acorn squash with coconut butter and cinnamon and fried eggs on the side. Nom!

I would be surprised if that amount of protein and fat didn't keep you full for 5 hours. The vegetables are more about getting adequate nutrients which will help with cravings of all sorts. I'm not seeing your edit yet. A lot of people will just do another Day X Cnt'd post. I think that is how I handled my W30 log. Or if you want feedback before you eat you can post your plan. Keep making the baby steps forward!

Day 2

Planned my meals for today, but things didn't go exactly how I thought. That's ok; better to be overprepared than under!

When I woke up I wasn't hungry, which is different for me. So I ate M1 about an hour later than I was going to. Also ate less than I was going to because I just couldn't choke any more food down.

I suspect it's because of my big meals yesterday.

M1 7:30 am

2 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut

1 Tbsp coconut butter (yum!)

1 cup thawed frozen berry mix

M2 10:30 am

hungry, but not starving

2 cups red lettuce

1/2 cup sliced black olives

1 Tbsp hm dressing (balsamic vinegar and evoo)

2 Tbsp sunflower seeds

2 Tbsp green peas

2 hb eggs

10 raw cashews

hungry at 2:30pm, so had coffee with 1 cup hm almond milk and cinnamon

M3 4:00pm (the almond milk/coffee held me for a little bit but not very long...)

2 cups sauteed broccoli w/garlic and hm italian seasoning

2 hb eggs

1/2 avocado

banana (small)

1 1/2 Tbsp almond butter

FULL and satisfied

It's early and I've had my 3 meals so we will see what the rest of the evening brings...

My plan tonight is to see if my day's meals match the template; I hadn't been using it to plan the meals so I want to see how I stack up, and I will adjust accordingly for the future.

Here's my question:

If we are only supposed to eat 3 meals a day, and I need to eat withing an hour or so of waking, how can I make that work for me when I wake up at 4:30 am for work? If I eat at 4:30, in theory I would need to eat again at 9:30 or 10. Then again at 2:30 or 3. That would be three meals, and I don't go to bed for at least another 4 hours, maybe 5. If I didn't eat before bed, I would be going about 13.5 hours without food. Is that ok? How do I manage that when my family needs to eat dinner at 5:30 because they don't get up as early as I do? On days when I work out, the eating schedule will be a bit different because I will get a pre- and post-workout meal so there will be less time between the last meal and meal 1 the next day.

Anyone out there that can advise would be appreciated!

Regarding meal timing. If you are getting up at 4:30 I would suggest eating meal 1 between 5 and 5:30, meal 2 between 10 and 10:30, and meal 3 between 5 and 5:30. That would put you at a 12 hour fast between previous days meal 3 and current days meal 1 which is fine. Now if you can't eat enough at 3 meals to support this kind of timing it is fine to break them up until you can. 3 meals is the ideal but if you need 4 or 5 smaller meals while you work up to 3 than do that. Eating within an hour of waking and no more than 2 hours before bedtime are good guidelines for the book ends. Does that make sense? 

Yay for vegetables this morning! Do try not to eat fruit pre workout as you want to get your body used to working out without quick carb energy in your system. Trust me when I say this is worth it...I saw a big hit for a couple of weeks and then a huge improvement afterwards. 

On the hunger thing...I find mine naturally ebs and flows. This can be for so many reasons: hormones, sleep, weather, energy output, etc. I try and eat to the minimum of the template every day and then allow myself to eat more when I realize I need more. I know eating to the minimum of the template is what you are struggling with though so just keep working towards that. Remember with the fruit that it is optional and shouldn't be pushing vegetables or protein or fat off your plate. You will get a better nutrient bang for your buck this way. So maybe focus on the template every day and when you are feeling hungrier than the template than have a piece of fruit at the end of your meal too. Does that make sense? Overall you are making great progress and continual tweeking day by day is going to take you a long way on this journey!

Archived