Betrayed by garlic salt

I'm on day 18 and just saw this on my garlic salt:

Garlic, salt, modified food starch, sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (cottonseed, soybean), carrot oil (for color), garlic oil

I've used this a couple times on my eggs and I feel so betrayed! Why can't garlic salt just be garlic and salt?! This is what is so wrong with our society!

Rant over. I'm super frustrated and will be starting over :(

Word to the wise - Check EVERY label, even seasonings and things you THINK would be fine!

yes, I've experienced that before.  I've started checking labels on spices--where you think you should be safe.  I've started using simply organic brand of some spices b/c they tend not to have any other added ingredients.  I'm terrible at keeping fresh spices, so I really rely upon dried.

• 1 month later...

Robin I was told by Tom that when I had accidentally consumed chicken that had soybean oil, that I had to add more days. But in this post the salt that they are asking about contains soy, and you said not to worry about it. I'm just confused because I thought soy was an automatic restart?

Kelsey - if you've only used this a couple of times on eggs, I wouldn't say that necessitates a start over. Continue on, lesson learned

Robin I was told by Tom that when I had accidentally consumed chicken that had soybean oil, that I had to add more days. But in this post the salt that they are asking about contains soy, and you said not to worry about it. I'm just confused because I thought soy was an automatic restart?

I'm so sorry. It is frustrating, isn't it! We always run into trouble when we allow for any grey area at all. The rules state that no amount of soy is ok, and our moderator recommendations are to restart if you ingest dairy, soy, wheat/gluten or carrageenan.

That said, the amount of soy in garlic salt is microscopic, still important to avoid, but we hope that this amount eaten by accident would not disrupt digestion. Not so for chicken cooked in soybean oil--the amount of oil in such a preparation has a good chance of impacting results. In either case, restarting would be the conservative/safest response. 

Archived