Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Avocado Pesto Sauce with Smoked Salmon and Asparagus

JohannaE

I've been tweaking a number of my favorite dishes to make them compliant with the Whole30.  Along the way, I've found that I like some of them even more!  This is definitely one of them.  I used to make this with regular spaghetti, but like it even more with spaghetti squash!  Same great taste, you can have twice the portion and get way more nutrients… sounds like a deal to me!  (And for the record, even my pastafarian husband approved!)

I've been posting all of Whole30 recipes on my blog Notes From a Messy Kitchen if your'e interested in others!

Ingredients:

• 1 Ripe avocado
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp chopped basil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • 1 large spaghetti squash
  • ~ 20 spears fresh asparagus, chopped
  • 6-8 oz smoked salmon, broken into pieces

Directions:

1. To roast the spaghetti squash:  Preheat oven to 350°F.  Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoot out the seeds and fibers.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place upside down on a greased baking sheet. Cook for about an hour, or until skin gives under pressure and the inside is tender.  Once cool enough to touch, use a fork to scrape out all of the flesh.  It will come out in spaghetti like strands.
  2. Meanwhile, combine ingredients through garlic in a food processor (a blender or hand-mixer will also work) until smooth and creamy.  Set aside.
  3. Cook the asparagus in olive oil or steam in a wok.  Add the smoked salmon and cook for 1-2 minutes until warm.
  4. Combine spaghetti squash and sauce in a large bowl.  Divide onto two plates and top with asparagus and smoked salmon!

Serves 2 ~ No guarantees about how this dish would be reheated… me thinks not good.

post-39906-0-64271900-1392921580_thumb.j

I wish I would have seen this yesterday, I was looking for a creamy avocado sauce to put on some butternut squash noodles I made with my spiralizer two days ago.  I'm not a fan of salmon (i've tried, I just hate the taste of it), but I'm glad to have the avocado sauce recipe. :)

Archived