Wine reintro gone bad! Insomnia & pain have returned :(

cleverhandle

I completed my Whole30 2 weeks ago and have been slowly testing the waters with "off plan" foods". My reintroductions have been so far just dairy and legumes. I did have moderate digestive issues with dairy, and nothing with legumes. Then last Saturday night I reintroduced red wine at a party. It did not go well. I had less than 2 glasses over a 4 hour period, after dinner, with water in between. I slept terribly and awoke with the worst pounding headache EVER and could not keep anything down all day until 6 or 7 PM. I felt as if I had had two bottles, not 2 glasses!

I was supposed to do my next reintroduction (GF grains) Tuesday but I felt so much like I had injured myself that I haven't wanted to. All week I have had poor digestion again; much the same trouble as I had during the Whole30 that I thought I had sorted out with digestive enzymes and fermented foods. Now again I am having constipation and inadequate elimination, and when I do eliminate it is runny and not digested or "normal" looking (or smelling!) Sorry for the TMI. Also, I have an autoimmune condition (Hashimotos) which manifests in me primarily as insomnia and fibromyalgia. All of that is back, though it had ever so slowly been improving.

Have I damaged my gut this much? Am I back to square one again? Has anybody experienced such a severe reaction during reintro and if so, did it take you another 30 days to get back on track again? Lastly, is there anything I can do to "help my recovery along" other than eating the Whole30 template (which I am already doing)? Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

I've never been a wine drinker but my understanding is most red wines have sulphites in them (am I correct?) so it is possible that is what you are reacting to. It is also possible that you are just getting sick. 

I would advice staying Whole30 compliant until you feel better and then go on with your reintroductions. If you want to test the sulphite theory you could try a sulphite free wine when you are feeling better. As far as speeding the recovery bone broth, fermented veggies, and kombucha all might help.

OOOOhhhhhh.... you poor thing!  That sounds awful.  :(    

Hopefully it was more than the wine.  Perhaps a bug with bad timing? 

All I can say is hold off on vino until you feel like your gut is truly back to health

and try an organic, sulphite-free single glass.

Best wishes!

Thanks for your thoughts (and sympathies ;)). No I don't think it was a bug. It felt exactly like a horrible, horrible hangover. That part resolved in a day. The digestion symptoms were something that I dealt with for almost my entire whole 30, and the muscle pain and insomnia were long-standing issues that prompted me to embark on the Whole30 to begin with. But those things were beginning to resolve themselves a little by around day 35 or so. I am just so stunned that I had such an extreme reaction and that it knocked me so far out of balance. I feel so mad that I messed myself up again after two stupid glasses of wine. I enjoyed wine before the challenge...Maybe a little too much. I didnt drink at lot on any one night but more and more often. It was another motivation for me to clean up my act. Now don't know when I will have the nerve ( or desire) to try it again, even organic or sulfite free.

Archived