Better late than never

Carmen Cosentino

So the past 2 days I've been EXHAUSTED. Tired enough that I could NOT work out. This is very unusual for me. I'm training for a marathon and half Ironman. I haven't had any strenuous workouts because I haven't had the energy. I've been going to bed super early and sleeping in later than usual. Getting 9 hours of sleep. Today is day 13 for me. I feel a little better today. Feel like I have energy. I'm a little shaky energy and my morning cup of coffee is still sitting on my desk full. Also, note, i started my period 1 week early. This is probably contributing to my exhaustion. Could someone look over my meal logs and let me know what I should change  :)

Day 11: 

Meal 1: 2 egg muffins (veggies), Chicken sausage patty and 1/2 chicken sausage link, 1 date

Meal 2: 2.5 cups Bison sweet potato Chili, Walnut/cashew mix, Orange, and snap peas

Meal 3: Whole bell pepper (raw ate while dinner cooked), 1 1/2 servings of Thai curry chicken/shrimp (served over mashed cauliflower), side of sauteed kale w/garlic

Snack before bed because i was STARVING: Sweet potato 

No exercise, too fatigued

Day 12: (Started cycle)

Meal 1: 2 egg muffins, 1.5  chicken sausage links, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 grapefruit, coffee black

Meal 2: 2.5 cups bison sweet potato chili, snap peas

Snack: Banana, Wal-nut cashew, slivered almonds 1 serving 

Meal 3: 1 serving Thai chicken curry (served over mashed cauliflower) , sweet potato, watermelon

Snack before bed: Again really hungry 2 servings cashews

Day 13: Today

Meal 1: 2 egg muffins, steak pieces, 1/2 grapefruit

Meal 2: Chicken curry (served over mashed cauliflower), sweet potato 

**Egg muffins include spinach, kale, peppers, and onions. Each muffin contains 1 egg. 

Thanks for any advice or recommendations you can give  :)

Sorry, Chris. I waned to erase the one post but didn't know how, I apologize for the double post. Thank you for responding and for the advice!

No worries. In the future, if you want to delete a post, just private message one of ths moderators, and we'll take care of it.

Have a little catching up to do from the weekend. Saturday (Day 14, I had a 16 mile run). I started a 1.5hours later than planned secondary to my friend taking him time in the am. I ate appropriately, but the delay interfered with my timing :-( 

Day 14: 16mile run

Pre-WO:

Large handful of cashews,

1 HB egg,

6oz coffee, lots of water

Meal 1: (20minutes after run)

"Chipotle" style lunch, chicken on top of lettuce with peppers, onions, salsa, and a generous spoon full of guacamole ( i ate 1/2 then waited 45 minutes and finished my meal).

1 plantain fried in coconut oil topped with cinnamon,

Meal 2:

Sweet potato,

sirloin beef w/ peppers, onions, kale sauteed in olive oil,

Mixed fruit

Snack:

Nuts (Cashews, Almond slivers)

Night snack:

Lara bar

I missed a meal because my run was delayed :-( I didn't want to eat meal 3 @11:30pm. But I also was not hungry

Day 15: (rest day no workout) 

Snack: (went grocery shopping as soon as I woke Up)

Macadamia Nuts

Meal 1:

2 egg omelette with peppers and spinach

banana

coffee

Meal 2:

Well Fed chocolate chili,

spinach salad with beets, peppers, slivered almonds, avocado, and drizzled balsamic vinegar.

Snap peas

Snack:

Macadamia Nuts

Meal 3: 

Brussell sprouts, chicken sausage, sweet potato sauteed together in olive oil/coconut oil 

Day 16:

Meal 1:

2 egg muffins (veggies),

1/4 avocado spread on muffins,

1/2 sweet potato,

1/2 grapefruit

Meal 2:

Well Fed Chocolate Chili

Spinach Salad (leftovers from previous day)

Other 1/2 of sweet potato from morning

Snack:

Macadamia Nuts

Snap peas and carrots (raw) 

Meal 3: (dinner tonight)

***turkey stuffed peppers with additional veggies 

Thoughts on my meals? 

Have a little catching up to do from the weekend. Saturday (Day 14, I had a 16 mile run). I started a 1.5hours later than planned secondary to my friend taking him time in the am. I ate appropriately, but the delay interfered with my timing :-( 

Day 14: 16mile run

Pre-WO:

Large handful of cashews,

1 HB egg,

6oz coffee, lots of water

Meal 1: (20minutes after run)

"Chipotle" style lunch, chicken on top of lettuce with peppers, onions, salsa, and a generous spoon full of guacamole ( i ate 1/2 then waited 45 minutes and finished my meal).

1 plantain fried in coconut oil topped with cinnamon,

Meal 2:

Sweet potato,

sirloin beef w/ peppers, onions, kale sauteed in olive oil,

Mixed fruit

Snack:

Nuts (Cashews, Almond slivers)

Night snack:

Lara bar

I missed a meal because my run was delayed :-( I didn't want to eat meal 3 @11:30pm. But I also was not hungry

Day 15: (rest day no workout) 

Snack: (went grocery shopping as soon as I woke Up)

Macadamia Nuts

Meal 1:

2 egg omelette with peppers and spinach

banana

coffee

Meal 2:

Well Fed chocolate chili,

spinach salad with beets, peppers, slivered almonds, avocado, and drizzled balsamic vinegar.

Snap peas

Snack:

Macadamia Nuts

Meal 3: 

Brussell sprouts, chicken sausage, sweet potato sauteed together in olive oil/coconut oil 

Day 16:

Meal 1:

2 egg muffins (veggies),

1/4 avocado spread on muffins,

1/2 sweet potato,

1/2 grapefruit

Meal 2:

Well Fed Chocolate Chili

Spinach Salad (leftovers from previous day)

Other 1/2 of sweet potato from morning

Snack:

Macadamia Nuts

Snap peas and carrots (raw) 

Meal 3: (dinner tonight)

***turkey stuffed peppers with additional veggies 

Thoughts on my meals? 

Meals look ok. Are 2 eggs a big enough portion?  The number of eggs in a serving is the number you can hold in your hand.

The meal 1 you had on Day 14 kind of doubled as your postWO. As such, I would have skipped the guac and coconut oil.

Snacks, if needed, are recommended to be a mini-meal containing a protein and fat. Nuts are considered a fat source. 

I wonder if you ate a whole sweet potato (vs. 1/2), and upped your eggs to 3, if you would feel the need to have snacks? 

Thanks for the suggestions. This is great. I will try increasing the eggs and sweet potato, maybe start with 3 eggs see how that goes, then maybe add the whole sweet potato. My problem is I get sooo full and sometimes cannot finish my meal, but in a few hours will want a little something, this is especially during lunch. (I'm 5 2" and ~122lbs at time of start). 

Day 16:

Pre-WO: 1 HB egg

Meal 3: 5 Turkey cranberry meatballs (Well Fed, a tablespoon a piece),

kale sautéed with olive oil,

bowl of golden cauliflower soup (well Fed recipe).

Exercise: bike trainer for 60minutes

Day 17:

Meal 1:

1 1/12 chicken sausage

¼ avocado

2 egg muffins (veggie)

½ grapefruit

½ sweet potato

I tried to eat the whole Sweet potato but I was too full

Meal 2:

Chocolate Chili

Spinach salad w/beets, peppers, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar

½ sweet potato

Veggies snap peas about 1 hour after lunch

Snack

Apple(couldn't eat at lunch because I was too full)  and macadamia nuts 

I tried taking your advice, @GFChris and increase my egg and sweet potato portion, but I was too full to do so. 

Try taking out the grapefruit and upping the sweet potato and/or egg and see if that helps.  Fruit is optional on a Whole30 and should only be eaten as part of a meal after you've satisfied eating the rest of the recommended template (protein/veg/fat).

If the other tweaks don't work, you could try adding a mini meal (using the template) instead of snacks (Pre-WO & Post-WO are not snacks).

Some people also find dates make them hungry, same with Lara bars (lots of dates).

Interesting about the dates. I never thought about that. Thanks! I'll limit dates/lara bars. How about dates and using them during mid-runs to fuel. I've heard people recommending this.

It really depends on the individual, for some dates are fine, others are more sensitive to sugars, or particular kinds of sugars (eg. FODMAPs).

I think you'd get more bang for your buck with using the template, cutting back on fruit (don't eat the fruit if it pushes veggies off your plate) and adding an extra mini-meal (if you're hungry) rather than snacks. Even if dates are a problem, they might not be if part of the template. One of the big advantages of the template is that it will help keep blood sugar more even, because there's always protein, fat and veggies :)

It really depends on the individual, for some dates are fine, others are more sensitive to sugars, or particular kinds of sugars (eg. FODMAPs).

I think you'd get more bang for your buck with using the template, cutting back on fruit (don't eat the fruit if it pushes veggies off your plate) and adding an extra mini-meal (if you're hungry) rather than snacks. Even if dates are a problem, they might not be if part of the template. One of the big advantages of the template is that it will help keep blood sugar more even, because there's always protein, fat and veggies :)

Thanks. I'm going to try to increase my fat amounts during each meal. I think this will help satisfy me and provide me energy without getting too lethargic between meals. 

Prior to starting W30 I would get very lightheaded and lethargic if I didn't eat (especially breakfast), I HAVE to eat breakfast not too long after I wake up. I've always been this way. I'm known to always have snacks in my purse (almonds, protein bars, fruit, etc.). I realize that the snacks I was carrying weren't aren't necessarily good choices (i.e., fruit, apple). To make sure my blood sugar didn't drop too low, I would eat 3 meals with 2 snacks. (I'm not diabetic). I also drink a TON of water. Never feel hydrated enough no matter how much water I drink. I've asked my MD about this and she was not concerned because I was healthy otherwise. 

So, now that I'm doing W30, my body is not adjusting to the 3 meals with a few snacks. I have not been able to exercise as much as I typically do because I have been extremely lethargic. I'm going to bed super early and sleeping at least 8-9 hours. I don't take naps, my legs feel very heavy. Today is Day 19. I don't have any cravings for "regular" food, which is good. Last night before bed I wanted a hamburger, I felt soooo hungry even though I ate a substantial dinner. Thoughts anyone? I agree that I need to add more fat to eat meal. 

I think you may not be eating enough. Not enough food/fuel. You may be hungry.

Hamburger craving sounds more like protein/food rather than just energy (those are often carb cravings, hamburger doesn't seem like that to me). Although it could be not enough fat.

If you can't make meals any bigger, or it doesn't help, I'd drop the snacks altogether and replace with template-mini-meals. More protein, more fat, more veggies. 

Moderator Tom did 6 template meals a day I think, when he started Whole30.

Keep a lot log of your experiments, let us know how it goes.

I think you may not be eating enough. Not enough food/fuel. You may be hungry.

Hamburger craving sounds more like protein/food rather than just energy (those are often carb cravings, hamburger doesn't seem like that to me). Although it could be not enough fat.

If you can't make meals any bigger, or it doesn't help, I'd drop the snacks altogether and replace with template-mini-meals. More protein, more fat, more veggies. 

Moderator Tom did 6 template meals a day I think, when he started Whole30.

Keep a lot of your experiments, let us know how it goes.

I agree on the lacking of food/protein. Last night around 9pm I was craving chicken. All i wanted was a juicy grilled chicken breast. i didn't have any on hand pre-cooked, so I ate some nuts and a 1/2 sweet potato. My period also has been all out of whack. I'm on the pill and started a week early and have still had a light period (was suppose to start today originally). I think this has affected my body and hunger as well. Yesterday I felt like I could eat and eat and eat and never feel full. This again, may or may not have been a result of my period. I know I shouldn't have gave into my hunger cravings, but I just couldn't help myself, I was hungry :-/ I don't think I've lost any weight, as all my clothes still fit the same. I haven't worked out nearly as much due to the lack of energy. 

This morning I ate 3 egg muffins, 1 whole sweet potato and 1/2 avocado. I have a 18-20mile run tomorrow so I'm going to eat another sweet potato at lunch today. I'm planning on making grilled chicken breast tonight to have ready post run tomorrow :-) 

*** Since starting W30 I have increased my meat protein, I'm eating more red meat and less protein from other sources, e.g., greek yogurt, etc. 

Archived