Making Homemade Mayo

Jena

I've never done this before and am concerned about it being a raw egg.

Doe the lemon juice used "cook" the egg?

Can it be made with other oils besides olive? I only have coconut and macadamia nut oil right now, would these work okay?

Thanks for any assistance.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Homemade mayo is the best! And yes you're right, the lemon keeps the egg safe. The mayo is good for about as long as your eggs are so I sometimes date my jar with my egg's expiration date when I make it but it usually doesn't last that long because I eat it so quickly. You can make the mayo with different types of oil. I used to use light flavored olive oil but have switched to primarily macadamia nut and avocado oils. Each oil has it's own distinct taste in the mayo so try them and see which you like. Also I often mix my mayo with chipotle powder for dips or things like garlic and dill for dressings which masks that taste quite a bit. If you use olive, make sure it's the light tasting type of olive oil as regular dark green olive oil makes for a very heavy taste and it's not very good.

Also...most instructions will mention to be sure all your ingredients are at room temperature and to take your time to make sure the oil and egg emulsify correctly. The secret to making flawlessly perfect mayo without worrying about ingredient temperatures is to use a hand/stick blender so if you have one use that. It makes the mayo in about 30 seconds and it's perfect every time! Let us know how it turns out.

Well, I made some with the macadamia nut oil I had. I must have misunderstood about the hand blender because the first time I dumped everything into the cup and started blending. It never got thick. So, I tried again and drizzled the oil in and it did get thick. It doesn't look or taste like any mayo I've ever used which is probablly a good thing. But in any case the hand blender worked good. Thanks for the tips.

I put it in the fridge to get cold before I use it on anything. I'm thinking coleslaw :unsure:

Just so I understand Johnny M. You do just put all the oil and egg and lemon juice and whatever into the hand blenders cup and just start blending and it does get thick? Hmmmmm, maybe I didn't use enough oil the first time. I have a Braun hand blender.

It was a little tricky trying to drizzle and keep the cup still while I blended but it did work out in the end and didn't take very long.

When I had a crappy, plastic blender I never had a problem making yummy mayo but ever since I got a new, nice blender it never came out right! I think it had to do with the speed of the blades. Now, I use a food processor and it comes out *perfectly* every time. I put all my oil into a liquid measuring cup and just drizzle it into the bowl. I also use the light flavor olive oil (NOT extra virgin) and it tastes as close to mayo as I think it's going to get...

Oh No!

I wasn't paying attention and I used EVOO instead of the light version :( . It does not taste good at all! The texture is great, so I'll keep using my Ninja. I'm so mad at myself...Is it possible to make it taste better at this point?

Yeah, the very first time I made mayo I used EVOO and it was... well, gross. You might be able to get away with it if you doctor it with some spices or more overwhelming-tasting foods, like tuna and garlic. If you made tuna or chicken salad and used plenty of garlic, perhaps some apple and other flavors you could drown out the taste of the EVOO. That being said, no olive oil based mayo ever tastes like store bought mayo. After a while, though, you like it better!

Thanks for the video, of course obviously we won't be using the vegetable oil or the sugar nor eating on a piece of bread. :D

But it does bring up more questions for me. He only used the yoke. The recipe I saw in the whole30 guide says one egg. Does it matter if I use the whole egg or should I be using just the yoke? Johnny M what do you do? Does the amount of oil matter? The one that didn't work for me I realize I only used 3/4 oil instead of 1 cup because I had grapped the wrong measuring cup.

I will try mine with Avocado oil next time, that sounds good to me. Also, I hate to keep asking you Johnny M but you seem to be the experienced one, so hope you don't mind. I saw on your website you had something about light olive oil being actually cut with vegetable oil so wouldn't that be bad for us here then?

So far I've made coleslaw and tunafish salad with my homemade macadamia nut oil mayo and they were good. I won't be buying any mayo from the store ever again :P

No worries! I use the whole egg. I haven't tried it any other way but I've seen recipes offering both. I'm a fan of using the whole egg because there are nutrients in the yolk and the white that are stronger when consumed together (read "Deep Nutrition" for more info on this). I use the "well fed" recipe really....1 egg, 1 and 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tbsp lemon juice. It all goes in my stick blender cup straight from the fridge and gets blended about 30 seconds. I know this doesn't work for everyone though so you might have to test around.

There was an article that whole9life shared recently (http://www.naturalne...l#ixzz1qGa1SgHt) that noted many light colored/flavor olive oils are cut with vegetable oil. On a facebook forum, the validity of the study was questioned and some folks were able to provide some corroborating data so I stopped consuming light olive oil. I didn't mention it previously because I don't want to give anyone information overload but yeah...that's why I only use avocado and macadamia nut oils now!

Here's a tip from Well Fed:

*What To Do If You Experience a Mayo FAIL

If something goes kafluey, the emulsion will “break†and you'll be left with a jar filled with a quasi-emulsion with the consistency of, say, commercial salad dressing. DO NOT DESPAIR! It can be saved. Pour the liquid into a storage container and place it in the coldest part of your fridge. Wait a few hours (again, with the patience!), then stir vigorously. It will be slightly less thick and creamy than the full emulsion, but still delicious and useful for salads: egg salad, tuna salad, cucumber salad, etc. It will not, however, be spreadable – but we don't care about that anyway because who among us is still eating sandwiches?!

Thanks Johnny, I did that with last weeks batch (well fed recipe, done in food processor) and it worked fine - was like a thick salad dressing and I made some nice dishes with it - crab & avo salad, egg salad etc.

But todays? yuck- I put it in fridge but it totally split :(

hey ho, mayo.

This is so timely. I had my first mayo fail last night! I had left out the eggs and lemon juice to room temp....and then realized I didn't have enought light olive oil to finish the jiob! If I'd read here first I would've used the walnut oil I have, but instead used EVOO......the mayo is gross!

Johnny...do you put all the ingredients todether THEN mix? I'm using Melicious Joulwan's recipie and I drizzle in the oil over 3 minutes. Your way sounds easier.

Archived